Three Years of Game Pass Ultimate for $181 (or less) - Ending Soon

mrcorbo

Foo Fighter
Veteran
I was surprised this wasn't posted anywhere and since it's ending soon and is a spectacular deal, I made a thread for it. I apologize if there was a better place to post this, but I thought it might not get enough visibility in the dedicated GP thread and I didn't find a "software deals" thread.

MS are currently offering Game Pass Ultimate for $1 for the first month and then the following months get billed at the normal $14.99 rate. However, when you do this, any remaining months you have on your Xbox Live Gold or Game Pass subscriptions get automatically converted to an equivalent number of Game Pass Ultimate months up to 36 months.

So, if you top up your XBox Live Gold sub to 36 months using three 12 month codes @ $59.99 each and then activate a Game Pass Ultimate subscription you get 3 years of Game Pass Ultimate for $181.

My XBLG has been dormant for years and I haven't been gaming enough on Xbox to justify the GP sub to this point, but 3 years @ $181 for both Xbox and PC games was too good to pass up.

This is understating how good a deal this is, basically if you pay for Live at any price, (does not have to be $59, can be $40 etc) you can convert those to gamepass ultimate (which includes PC, some early access to Triple A EG IIRC Gears 5 a few days earlier than retail/gamepass non ultimate release) for $1.

If you're like me and going to be likely paying for Live indefinitely, it's fantastic, being basically free gamepass ultimate. I typically sub to Gamepass at very cheap rates and this just extends it to basically free.

Only issue for me is when I did it a few days ago, I was not able to really score any kind of discount on XBL Gold, I ended up paying almost the full retail. ~120 for 2 years. I combined that with the couple months I had remaining on my live sub, so i have now GP ultimate until 8/2021. All in all I perhaps paid at most $40 more than I normally would have, unrushed, for two years of Gold (normally I started checking for deals as my Gold sub nears ending and pay closer to $40, this time I felt in a rush because of this deal and the possibility of it ending). I think if I was offered 2+ years of GP ultimate for $40 I'd have jumped on it.

Another downside is you have to go pay for long term Gold NOW instead of being able to put it off and resub near sub completion each year. But again in the long run I'd be paying anyway.

I cant honestly say I play Gp a ton, again being mostly a Destiny player, but it's very nice to have around, and makes EA access seem very weak by compare having subbed to both. Additionally it will save me having to pay for Gears 5 and Halo Infinite at the very least! $120 savings right there. Granted I may wish to buy them permanently down the line (more likely for Infinite) but even then by then they'll be discounted, I may have other cheap deals for GP, etc etc.

Also forgot, one snafu is (at least to be cost effective) you'll generally have to buy Gold in 6 or 12 month chunks. So for example for me having 2 months left, I'd have to buy two 12 month and one 6 month sub to get something like 24+6+2=32 months to come closest to maximizing this deal. All in all going with two years seemed the best compromise for me to keep costs down. As far as I can tell each shorter month term becomes less of a value (IE, 6 month Gold is $40, not $30, etc)

Another $ benefit of Game Pass is being able to buy the games at a discount. Do this enough, and the whole thing becomes cash neutral, even for people who prefer to buy games.

This is understating how good a deal this is, basically if you pay for Live at any price, (does not have to be $59, can be $40 etc) you can convert those to gamepass ultimate (which includes PC, some early access to Triple A EG IIRC Gears 5 a few days earlier than retail/gamepass non ultimate release) for $1.

If you're like me and going to be likely paying for Live indefinitely, it's fantastic, being basically free gamepass ultimate. I typically sub to Gamepass at very cheap rates and this just extends it to basically free.

Only issue for me is when I did it a few days ago, I was not able to really score any kind of discount on XBL Gold, I ended up paying almost the full retail. ~120 for 2 years. I combined that with the couple months I had remaining on my live sub, so i have now GP ultimate until 8/2021. All in all I perhaps paid at most $40 more than I normally would have, unrushed, for two years of Gold (normally I started checking for deals as my Gold sub nears ending and pay closer to $40, this time I felt in a rush because of this deal and the possibility of it ending). I think if I was offered 2+ years of GP ultimate for $40 I'd have jumped on it.

Another downside is you have to go pay for long term Gold NOW instead of being able to put it off and resub near sub completion each year. But again in the long run I'd be paying anyway.

I cant honestly say I play Gp a ton, again being mostly a Destiny player, but it's very nice to have around, and makes EA access seem very weak by compare having subbed to both. Additionally it will save me having to pay for Gears 5 and Halo Infinite at the very least! $120 savings right there. Granted I may wish to buy them permanently down the line (more likely for Infinite) but even then by then they'll be discounted, I may have other cheap deals for GP, etc etc.

Also forgot, one snafu is (at least to be cost effective) you'll generally have to buy Gold in 6 or 12 month chunks. So for example for me having 2 months left, I'd have to buy two 12 month and one 6 month sub to get something like 24+6+2=32 months to come closest to maximizing this deal. All in all going with two years seemed the best compromise for me to keep costs down. As far as I can tell each shorter month term becomes less of a value (IE, 6 month Gold is $40, not $30, etc)
That's one of the keys of Gamepass. 120$ for 2 games is what you pay every year for Gamepass PC and you have hundreds of games instead of 2, discovering true gems meanwhile.

Back