Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't expect any VR related thing coming to Xbox consoles. Here's Turn10's Dan Greenawalt talking about VR 2 weeks ago :
Short answer: Nope. Turn10 is Microsoft's flagship studio when it comes to integrating newer technologies (Forza 4 Kinect support, Forza 5 Azure Machine Learning for drivatars, Forza 6 DX12 support on Xbox and PC, first 1st party studio to get Xbox Sorpio devkits..) which means that if they are totally dismissing VR then chances are slim to none. Alex Kipman has already stated numerous time that Microsoft doesn't see wired VR as being the right solution for consoles. Oculus VR support on Xbox doesn't make any sense at all technically or financially. But this is the baseless thread so lets believe in fairy tales instead

Last edited:
New PS5 prediction baselessly based on: Gonzalo benchmark (above Vega 64), gonzalo alleged base clocks 1.6 Ghz and Reiner rumor (currently PS5 > XB2):

11.5 Tflops (14.375 / 1.25 = 11.5 and also 56 CUs at 1.6 Ghz).

But this is the baseless thread so lets believe in fairy tales instead
Your posts don't gain anything from the attitude. It doesn't matter if a rumour is true or false. No lives hang in the balance. No national economy is at risk from a rumour not panning out. Furthermore, people discussing rumours doesn't mean they believe in them. I afford a degree of credibility to the rumour of XBN supporting OVR in the light of no other presented evidence to contrary, and due to the logic in the idea. Doesn't mean I believe it's going to happen. Doesn't mean I'm out there recommending people buy an OVR S now because it'll work on the next xbox, fer sure, coz I read it on the internet. If there's a good counterpoint, it should just be presented 1) without assuming those talking in favour of a rumour's validity in some way subscribe to the validity of the rumour and 2) without feeling the need to judge people who feel a rumour has merit as being some-way lesser people if you have information to the contrary. "I saw this interview two week's ago saying no to VR, so this rumour is patently false, so anyone giving it credence is patently dumb because they should know it's false because of this video from two weeks ago."

Join in this thread in the spirit of discussion, just debating true/false possibilities for the fun of it. If you don't find any fun in people presenting and debating (often nonsense) concepts and possibilities, stay out of this thread. I'm glad you posted that video perspective. I disagree with you about OVR (and WMR) support not making technical or financial sense.

Last edited:
I don't know why I refuse to believe that a potential console APU is outperforming a Vega 64 and damn near matching an RTX 2080... thus making my left eye twitch. It's not that I don't totally distrust AMD's claims of Navi's perf/wat efficiencies over the prior architecture, its just the PC gamer side of me knowing console peasants are getting something nice this time around (if all this holds up). :yep2:

We console people are getting mid-range hardware at the time these console release. Ballpark GTX1080/RTX2070 GPU performance is the very least one would expect almost year 2021. It is early 2016 performance afterall. For the CPU we are getting a mid-range variant that is clocked lower (with SMT?), 16 core high clocked ones will be avaible. Ram could be ballpark 16GB GDDR6, with GPU's already having that alone right now. RT performance remains to be seen.

By late 2020/early 2021, Nvidia's next 7nm GPU line will be avaible, and probably AMD's high-end GPU's too. Zen 3 will be around the corner, high-clocked 8core cpu's/16 core 32thread cpu's. I don't see that much of a difference to PS4's launch, aside from the CPU, but atleast PS4 got a rather nice jump from PS3 (cell to x86 8 core cpu.
Like some noted before, there is a reason Sony and MS are talking fast storage solutions mostly. The move to SSD is perfect, they have been around for forever.

Pastebin rumors June 26 (apparently these are a continuing series on Era)

https://pastebin.com/b3dSRsuH

1. New Rumours about next gen consoles:

2. - TF number unknown for both but some industry insiders are reckoning that Scarlett, given the SDK, will outdo PS5 in all areas with ease save storage speed. They are both said to be orders of magnitude more rapid than traditional 5400RPM 16MB Cache 2.5" HDD found in current gen systems as stock options.

3. - As aforementioned whilst TF number remains unknown, a few developers are implying that computationally the gap between PS5 and Xbox One X is of the same magnitude or percentage as it is between X and Pro.

4. - MS's involvement with AMD on CPU side is supposed to yield some interesting results, such as the probability of "Boost" clock to aid during framerate hiccups on rare and unforeseen occasions (if the issue is CPU bound). Games will still be optimized around "Base" clock.

5. - At this point in time, the total system RAM is in favour of Scarlett. Sony's vacillation between HBM2+DDR4 and GDDR6 is still ongoing.

6. - MS's strategy, given the lack of Lockhart, is to undercut the PS5 by ensuring MSRP parity with its competitor whilst comprising of more powerful parts. If things remain as they are, expect Sony to drop their MSRP within a year and Scarlett to be the home of superior ports of all third party titles, like it was with PS4 Base at the start and Xbox One X since its release.
Interesting comments there about "Boost clock" CPU and HBM2+DDR4 on Sony side. It would be fun if Somebody did something different than the boring standard, but OTOH I think HBM is suicide (it certainly has been for AMD's GPU division causing countless delays)

New PS5 prediction baselessly based on: Gonzalo benchmark (above Vega 64), gonzalo alleged base clocks 1.6 Ghz and Reiner rumor (currently PS5 > XB2):

11.5 Tflops (14.375 / 1.25 = 11.5 and also 56 CUs at 1.6 Ghz).
11.5 Navi Tflops is the kind of Xmas gift that would make me jump up and down ceaselessly. If 7nm+ for PS5 production is confirmed then that might become a reality.

2. - TF number unknown for both but some industry insiders are reckoning that Scarlett, given the SDK, will outdo PS5 in all areas with ease save storage speed. They are both said to be orders of magnitude more rapid than traditional 5400RPM 16MB Cache 2.5" HDD found in current gen systems as stock options.

3. - As aforementioned whilst TF number remains unknown, a few developers are implying that computationally the gap between PS5 and Xbox One X is of the same magnitude or percentage as it is between X and Pro.

4. - MS's involvement with AMD on CPU side is supposed to yield some interesting results, such as the probability of "Boost" clock to aid during framerate hiccups on rare and unforeseen occasions (if the issue is CPU bound). Games will still be optimized around "Base" clock.

5. - At this point in time, the total system RAM is in favour of Scarlett. Sony's vacillation between HBM2+DDR4 and GDDR6 is still ongoing.

6. - MS's strategy, given the lack of Lockhart, is to undercut the PS5 by ensuring MSRP parity with its competitor whilst comprising of more powerful parts. If things remain as they are, expect Sony to drop their MSRP within a year and Scarlett to be the home of superior ports of all third party titles, like it was with PS4 Base at the start and Xbox One X since its release.
Interesting comments there about "Boost clock" CPU and HBM2+DDR4 on Sony side. It would be fun if Somebody did something different than the boring standard, but OTOH I think HBM is suicide (it certainly has been for AMD's GPU division causing countless delays)

PS5 about 43% more powerful than the X gpu wise? hmmm doubt it

SOC includes memory controllers so if Gonzalo exist then the decision between GDDR6 and HBM2 has been made. Fake leak

Would the SOC be done, completely finalized a year and a half (minimum) out? Seems impossible to unlikely. RX 5700 is not even out yet.

Additionally it's likely AMD high end will once again feature the HBM2, so it could be done quickly. Now would be a time they could be going back and forth on it, with placeholder dev kits out on all sides that are just generic PC's of course.

It just feels to me like something off the wall like Sony would want to do, although Cerny will probably be an influence keeping them on the straight and narrow.

I hope we get SOMETHING a bit unusual on some side...not just GDDR/Navi/Zen2

It means extremely huge loss.

Only fanboy will make this decision,not MS.

Would it be less than continuing with it as a premium device if we assume Lockhart was supposed to be the lower cost volume part?

If that was canned 6months ago could they redesign the higher end part down, if so at what cost?
Is that cost more or less than just eating the retail difference of lowering the RRP, a
with a higher perf base what does that mean to the length of the "generation" as I would assume given a good SSD solution this platform could be viable for longer than this current gen. Savings there?

I am not sure what commitments are done and the costs of changing course, but I expect hardware to be fairly hard to change and launching at $100 over the competition is a very bad idea that would likely be very costly.

If we assume some of the above

Rock / Microsoft / Hard place

Ignoring the fact that these performance deltas are apparently calculated without knowing how much performance (TFs) either machine has ( :runaway: ), aren't they saying that where XB1X is 1.43x as powerful as PS4 Pro, PS5 is 1.43x more powerful as XB1X?

Last edited:

11. -MS's strategy, given the lack of Lockhart, is to undercut the PS5 by ensuring MSRP parity with its competitor whilst comprising of more powerful parts. If things remain as they are, expect Sony to drop their MSRP within a year and Scarlett to be the home of superior ports of all third party titles, like it was with PS4 Base at the start and Xbox One X since its release.

Crystal ball or crystal meth... which was used here?

Stolen from Era. So according to this CrapgamerReviews podcast, this third party dev they were interviewing mentioned the technical demo shown behind the scene suggests PS5 is easily 1080 Ti level. He also claimed there's definitely a power difference between PS5 and Scarlett and it's noticeable to the trained eyes. Although he wouldn't say which one is more powerful.
Starts at 1:27:00 mark.
My gut instinct tells me it's the PS5 devkit that's more powerful since it's on a 1080 Ti level and if Scarlett is more powerful then it would be near 2080 Ti which is hard to believe for a console APU.

He also claimed there's definitely a power difference between PS5 and Scarlett and it's noticeable to the trained eyes. Although he wouldn't say which one is more powerful.
What does the label on the video - "15% more powerful than Scarlett" - tell us?

Sounds like an utter delusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back