Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't matter how we spin this, GCN flops < RDNA flops and all, but 36 CUs for not even 9Tflops would be pretty disappointing in 2020. I think 36CUs could have being a 2019 plan, but that plan would have changed.
Would 2080 with clock of around ~1500-1600MHZ be disappointing for consoles in 2020? I mean, it would only be ~9TF.

It doesn't matter how we spin this, GCN flops < RDNA flops and all, but 36 CUs for not even 9Tflops would be pretty disappointing in 2020. I think 36CUs could have being a 2019 plan, but that plan would have changed.

Could be 40CUs, sort of like how the pro has 36 active CUs when the R480 has 36.

Gonzalo exist and is definitely a gaming console APU that will be released within the next two years. We just don't have definitely proof that it's PS5, yet.

DG1000FGF84HT-PS4.
DG1101SKF84HV-PS4.
DG1201SLF87HW-PS4 Pro.
DG1301SML87HY-PS4 Pro.
DG14__________ - ?.
DG15 _
__________ - ?.
2G16002CE8JA2_32/10/10_13E9 - Gonzalo
ZG16702AE8JB2_32/10/18_13F8 - Gonzalo engineering sample

13E9 = Ariel https://pci-ids.ucw.cz/read/PC/1022/13e9
10_13E9 = Navi 10 Lite according to ChipHell post before all leaks. https://www.chiphell.com/thread-1945910-1-1.html

DG3001FEG84HR - Durango
DG4010T3G87E1 - Arlene SoC ??? Not sure what this is.
DG4001FYG87IA - XB1 S
1G5211T8A87E9 - Scorpio

DG02SRTBP4MFA - Subor Z

Last edited:
Lockhart has been dead for greater than 6 months according to a few insiders. This is around the time final specs get nailed which is why you hear the whispers of who is more powerful

What specs? Early 19 or late 18 seems a little too late for solidifying hardware design. And nailing down the speeds of the processors seems a little too early for a 2020 launch.

Where are people deriving the size of Gonzalo to be 310 mm?

There was only PCB leak in May describing entire motheboard for alleged PS5 dev kit, with die size of ~22.4 x 14.1, so probably 316 - 320mm².

This is the only source for that Gonzalo size. Anyone who can look up parts numbers could have created it. It conflicts pretty directly with Sony using the SSD tech from that patent, or the idea that the PS5 uses HBM+DDR4. So basically, people are taking that size estimate far more seriously than is justified.

Conceptually, but not physically?

To call Brad Sams not credible is a bit much. We all know things change in 12 months. My feeling is that the codename & leak was meant to gauge public and/or developer interest. It wasn't well liked or used how they expected, so they changed their plans. Doesn't mean the original source is not credible.

Tommy McClain

This is the only source for that Gonzalo size. Anyone who can look up parts numbers could have created it. It conflicts pretty directly with Sony using the SSD tech from that patent, or the idea that the PS5 uses HBM+DDR4. So basically, people are taking that size estimate far more seriously than is justified.

It's a reddit leak that hasn't a corroboration with new confirmed info. If a confirmed info comes out tomorrow that matches some stuff in the leak, then it's most likely legit.

For now I am categorizing it under unsubstantiated leaks.

To call Brad Sams not credible is a bit much. We all know things change in 12 months. My feeling is that the codename & leak was meant to gauge public and/or developer interest. It wasn't well liked or used how they expected, so they changed their plans. Doesn't mean the original source is not credible.

Tommy McClain

Being used as someone's flunky for controlled leaks is no better. Then having a glory complex that somehow you're in the inner-circle, just to have the rug pulled from under you... makes you a foolish flunky.

Being used as someone's flunky for controlled leaks is no better. Then having a glory complex that somehow you're in the inner-circle, just to have the rug pulled from under you... makes you a foolish flunky.

You're not having fun here anymore are you? There are conspiracies on all kinds of sites like NeoGAF or ResetEra. Maybe you would have more fun there?

Or it's the Google Stadia effect, when they released specs at 10.7TF, MS changed their plans accordingly?

Sure. There's all kind a reasons why "things change". We'll probably never know for sure unless someone writes a book about it.

Tommy McClain

Given both teams have touted 120fps (let's ignore it just being a hdmi spec) do we think it's possible we may seem to 60fps to 120fps reprojection similar to PSVR?

How effective is it as it would it be worth the developer effort? How much more CPU and GPU does it consume?

What leak is that HBM2 + DDR4? Not every leak is the same.

Saying "I work as Indie dev and my dad works at Nintendo. PS5 will be MOnSTeR with 16TF dual Navi GPU and 48GB/s HBM4" is not the same as saying

"Hi guys, I work as QA and this is PS5 dev kit PCB that just got OQA"

Very different two things. At least we know Reddit user that "leaked" PCB info had electrical circuit as avatar, posted from Asia and deleted his account a day later.

I'm not even talking about HBM in regards to a specific rumor, just as a technical possibility. Buying into that measurement basically precludes belief in anything but GDDR6, and a standard pcie nvme ssd.

I'm not even talking about HBM in regards to a specific rumor, just as a technical possibility. Buying into that measurement basically precludes belief in anything but GDDR6, and a standard pcie nvme ssd.

The HBM2 with INFO_MS rumor is contradictory with Digitimes's info that PS5 will be packaged at ASE. INFO_MS is a TSMC proprietary packaging solution and it's highly unlikely to be used for non-mobile devices.

Integrated fanout as far as I know is used for mobile devices only. I am 99% confident that PS5 is a flip chip.

The only inconsistency in the OQA PCB leak is the 18gbps 16gb GDDR6 chips that are not even listed on Samsung's site.

The HBM2 with INFO_MS rumor is contradictory with Digitimes's info that PS5 will be packaged at ASE. INFO_MS is a TSMC proprietary packaging solution and it's highly unlikely to be used for non-mobile devices.

Integrated fanout as far as I know is used for mobile devices only. I am 99% confident that PS5 is a flip chip.

The only inconsistency in the OQA PCB leak is the 18gbps 16gb GDDR6 chips that are not even listed on Samsung's site.
https://news.samsung.com/global/sam...6-gigabit-gddr6-for-advanced-graphics-systems

Though Samsung mentions it in their newsfeed from January.

I think this only further strenghtens the rumor, as this is something not many would be aware of.

I am aware of the newsfeed. Just find it suspicious that 16gbps is in sample, but 18gbps is not even listed. :/
I am relatively sure if you are big console manufacturer you dont procure on their product page :)

But yea, maybe they are not actually ready yet for mass production, but can be used as chips in limited dev kit numbers. I think putting 18Gbps there, die size mm² and VRM is very very specific. Either best fake till now or actually PS5 dev kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back