Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the larger problem would have been lacking enough of a cost difference to make it worth it for the consumers and corporation, while keeping it close enough in specs to be a reasonable performance target.

You'd still need SSD fast loading, high performance CPU, high bandwidth Memory, and HW RayTracing of sorts. I dont think altering the amounts of SSD or Memory while having proportional bandwidth made enough of a cost difference to be as big of a market mover as any company would need it to be.

I think the larger problem would have been lacking enough of a cost difference to make it worth it for the consumers and corporation, while keeping it close enough in specs to be a reasonable performance target.

You'd still need SSD fast loading, high performance CPU, high bandwidth Memory, and HW RayTracing of sorts. I dont think altering the amounts of SSD or Memory while having proportional bandwidth made enough of a cost difference to be as big of a market mover as any company would need it to be.

Lower SKU: Save money on slower GDDR6, save money on cooling (no need for vapor chamber cooling), save money on SOC (especially if there are lots of defective ones that can be binned).
Isn't the vapor chamber cooler in the 1X $50 or more?

But would a $100 difference (made up threshold number) to consumers have been worth all the trouble with distribution and logistics? How much of a company cost savings would there have to be to offset all the additional costs of having multiples?

Why ps4 ? Ps4-pro has more value ... In case of MS maybe One-X (and more One-S) chips cannot be replaced by cutted Scarlet chips ? Or maybe MS can use in a better way the underperforming chips...

My unlikely hypothesis consciously sets a low perforformance bar so it can eventually become a portable. I find it more likely to make a 1.5Tflops portable than a 6Tflops one.

It's nothing special, but the probably of any image showing up in our relevant discussion with 0:00 timestamp, with the condition that it's not chosen for the 0:00 timestamp, is a very small probability.
Yes, absolutely, but it doesn't mean anything. It's not evidence that the timestamp was probably faked or anything.

When Everest was first measured, the surveyors got a height of exactly 29,000 feet. They added a couple of feet just to make the result more plausible because people would reject it ("what are the chances that the mountain is exactly a multiple of one thousand? One in a thousand. Fake height!").

Round numbers aren't anything special. If you makes you feel any happier, represent the timestamp in binary or decimal or base 8 and you'll get a different, non round number.

Yes, absolutely, but it doesn't mean anything. It's not evidence that the timestamp was probably faked or anything.
I agree it's circumstantial evidence. It's not enough for me to sentence the leaker to jail for faking a leak, but it's enough for me to deem the leak fake in absence of other evidence.

For your record, Mount Everest is actually 29029 feet tall. :p

The probability of a human measurement of Everest to end in exactly 0,000 feet is much higher than Everest's height exactly ending in 0,000 feet. The reasoning being that there is only one Mt Everest, but there can be many more bad measurements of Mount Everest. :p

There might be human bias in reading measurements that round to the nearest smallest unit of measurement that caused the measurement of 29,0000.

Last edited:
Nah that was just Phil trying to sweep shit under the rug. I think it was a plan that had some force behind it early on that was later cancelled. I would say that this type of thing is normal for a business to pursue potential leads and back off when they need to. I guess in this scenario they went 1 step too far in E3 2018 by using the plural of console.

edit: sorry I read that wrong. Yea perhaps! SAD is the experiment that failed them.

I thought this reply was interesting...

They may still use Lockhart chips for their blades to replace the XB1S. They just won't use them for a retail product. The same reason why they won't use XB1X(cost & cooling) in their blades, is the same reason they won't use Anaconda in their blades.

Tommy McClain

When they were measuring Everest, they weren't trying to get a nice, round number. The system they used produced one in 1856. Everest is growing at a rate of approximately 1/3 of an inch a year, so 100 years is 30 feet of growth. But that's neither here nor there!

It's just people seeing patterns where there are none. Numbers ending in a zero are only 'special' because we use base ten. A thousand is a special number only because we aren't counting in base 9. If we were, the number seven-hundred-and-twenty-nine (which would of course be named something else) would be the magical 1000. And the time 09:20:00 wouldn't look anything like as unusual if we recorded time as seconds in base 12. In that case, the time stamp is 17540. What are the odds of a photo being taken in a time stamp ending with 540?!

They may still use Lockhart chips for their blades to replace the XB1S. They just won't use them for a retail product. The same reason why they won't use XB1X(cost & cooling) in their blades, is the same reason they won't use Anaconda in their blades.

Tommy McClain

Didn't Phil say that idle blades will be used by enterprise? I would think they'll put more power for those uses.

Lockhart was a 'pastebin' too - we don't actually know if it ever existed. A rumoured, mythical console is rumoured to be cancelled for mythical reasons. Honestly, just make your own shit up! Nintendo were working on a VR headset but they've cancelled it due to costs. And Sony are working on a new PlayStation TV idea in parallel with PS5 as a streaming dongle but it's been shelved for the time being.

It's easy and fun to make shit up. That's why everyone else is doing it. Join in!

Or just stay away from discussing any nonsense and wait until there's official word.

I think this is a slightly myopic view. Virtually every rumor and source has said Lockhart did indeed exist at some point, and that it was a next-gen device - not an Xbox SAD that Spencer suggested fit the “consoles” phrasing of E3 2018 in a tongue-in-cheek manner.

While it is perhaps more interesting from a business perspective, it has plenty of interesting technical implications, including how the target spec of Anaconda may change now that it’s suddenly the sole, high volume device MS has for next gen.

All this math and statistics talk reminds me of when my mate said he had cracked the lottery improving his odds greatly. I laughed until the next weekend when he won £800!

So I asked for his formula and he explained it. I laughed again and said that £800 is the luckiest win he will get and to give up.

Essentially he chose one number from each 10 numbered balls ( excuse me for not knowing the proper name).ie ; 1, 12, 25, 33, 41, 56...brilliant!!

His win was total luck and this is the kind of thing being discussed here, if he had chosen 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 the odds would be exactly the same but there’s a logic that suggests it’s less likely. Like people picking the same numbers because eventually they must come up.

Tommy McClain

Is there any particular reason why Microsoft/Azure would use such lack-luster hardware than traditional state of the art server wares? I mean, simply provisioning various VMs to Xbox systems spec's would seem better served in cloud environment and more cost effective (long-term) than replacing/reprovisioning your network when dealing with obviously outdated gaming-systems wares when expansion and capacity will be necessary on sustaining network usage and growth.

I can semi-understand if there was thousands of unsold Xbox One hardware laying around that got repurposed for such needs, but using physical Lockhart gaming hardware in a rapidly expanding cloud environment sounds wonky. IMHO, a more traditional server/cloud environment with provisioned VMs to whatever Xbox system spec, would seem (be) more appropriate for future needs.

Statistically I'm just as likely to win the lottery by not playing as anyone else is from playing.

I think this is a slightly myopic view. Virtually every rumor and source has said Lockhart did indeed exist at some point, and that it was a next-gen device - not an Xbox SAD that Spencer suggested fit the “consoles” phrasing of E3 2018 in a tongue-in-cheek manner.

While it is perhaps more interesting from a business perspective, it has plenty of interesting technical implications, including how the target spec of Anaconda may change now that it’s suddenly the sole, high volume device MS has for next gen.
His post was more a commentary of why we don’t put so much stock into these leaks as being indicative of release hardware. At this stage plans can still change (as we can see) and even if these pastebin rumours were correct at one point in time, it is clear thing can change that would now make them irrelevant.

Which is why, as per his commentary, we should put too much stock into leaks, or none at all. Stick to the official word.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back