Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
His croissant picture was taken on April 17th, 9:20:00 AM. EXACTLY.
Fake leaker.

So far the only info that I work with:
AMD Gonzalo
Ariel PCI-ID
RuthenicCookie's original posts
Official info from AMD, Sony, and Microsoft.
Ok the 12.9 tflops dream is dead. But there is also the EU dev pastebin with:

- 2tb hdd some sort of nand flash
- some sort of Ray Tracing but will not focus on that

He / she wrote that on December 3rd. What I like on that leak is the "we have 32 GB dev-kits" detail which would make sense for plenty of reasons.

Ok the 12.9 tflops dream is dead. But there is also the EU dev pastebin with:

- 2tb hdd some sort of nand flash
- some sort of Ray Tracing but will not focus on that

He / she wrote that on December 3rd. What I like on that leak is the "we have 32 GB dev-kits" detail which would make sense for plenty of reasons.

All Sony materials to dev would have emphasized SSD. Yet the word SSD is not found in the leak. Hard to imagine using the phrase HDD with Nand flash as a substitute for SSD and not giving more details about it when that's the main pitch for Sony.

List the specs of the PSVR2 in detail but fails to list HDR.

24Gb of GDDR6 in console, but 32GB in the dev kits? Different bus? Mixing chips? Suspicious.

Steam pads on Dual Shock? I doubt Dual Shocks will be that different. Sony will also put improved haptic feedback into the controller bit there is no mention of that.

List big third party games but misses Modern Warfare.

14 teraflops in console APU is a pipe dream.

I believe the 14.4 teraflops target for Sony, as they thought they need that much to run 1080 30fps ps4 games at 4k60. This is probably before the Navi IPC increases. I believe in a 11.5 teraflops Sony console.

Last edited:
Even the X360 used NAND so I don't associate any rumors saying NAND as meaning SSD.

Jeez lazy devs. I guess none of them have made games for PC. Oh no, 2 specifications that are very close? That's almost as bad as the 1000's of hardware possibilities as PC! How would they cope?
Sarcasm aside though, I haven’t seen a particularly good technical explanation other than “it’s stupid”, which kinda hurts discussion because there can be arguments that made sense for exploring the idea as a means of capturing more of a market early on where historically MS has plateaued in the absence of utter bungling by their competitor, while there is another competitor that hasn’t competed in the arms race owing more to their historical IP popularity, which MS has had trouble with beyond the core trifecta.

Hurting the baseline is a common counter-argument, but I’m not super convinced with close enough CPU’s across all SKUs currently while we are in an age of dynamic scalability for the graphics side. At some point though, it’d come down to what sort of rendering would eat up all the power such that the lower end GPU couldn’t scale simply, and there I’d question the cost benefit vs total addressable market (who is console exclusive or willing to forgo a decent chunk of the PC gamers).

That said, there does seem to be a belief that this time cloud streaming will solve the cost conscientious market, although I have trouble with that in the face of the current uptake of local consoles.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edit:

That said, a big difficulty would certainly be the BOM as we are somewhat approaching a problem where the base overhead requirements for constructing a console are increasing relative to that of just the main processor.

Last edited:
Kinda bummed about the death of Lockhart. I can appreciate the decision if developers weren't taking advantage of Anaconda. So in the long run it was probably the best decision. Looks like now I will either have to use xCloud for Scarlett games or pony up big moolah for the flagship device. I'll probably go for the former because I probably can't afford the latter until it's $300 or less. :/ Good thing I got the XB1X to hold me over.

Tommy McClain

They might have just thought cynically pragmatic that there won't be many exclusive Scarlett produced games for years to come just for market size reasons. If all games are designed for X1S/X1X and Scarlett anyway you don't really need a Scarlett 1080p.

By the time the mid generation console refresh happens they can make Scarlett the low-end one and Scarlett X the new high-end for Scarlett exclusive games.

Last edited:
iroboto said:
Ariel ain't shipping no more correct (if Ariel = Lockhart)

Ariel is for Disney to animate the Lite Mermaid (Little Mermaid)

the-little-mermaid-ariel-and-the-aquamarine-jewel.jpg

They might have just thought cynically pragmatic that there won't be many exclusive Scarlett produced games for years to come just for market size reasons. If all games are designed for X1S/X1X and Scarlett anyway you don't really need a Scarlett 1080p.

By the time the mid generation console refresh happens they can make Scarlett the low-end one and Scarlett X the new high-end for Scarlett exclusive games.

Perhaps they saw Sony committing to PSVR2 and as they sell a family of consoles with everything compatable; Lockhart would limit their overall VR push?

Ultimately either it was not the same bar the GPU and as such going to limit games or the components did not align to it fit the cost profile are the most likely reasons for its demise.

Last edited:
His croissant picture was taken on April 17th, 9:20:00 AM. EXACTLY.
Fake leaker.

So far the only info that I work with:
AMD Gonzalo
Ariel PCI-ID
RuthenicCookie's original posts
Official info from AMD, Sony, and Microsoft.
It's a confirmed (very well done) fake not because of the date. It was a real Sony meeting at Heathrow Airport about electronic products, not PS5.

About the EU dev pastebin 14tflops leak, I was thinking it could be a GCN based dev-kit specs. Like some overclocked Radeon 7.

I keep seeing people saying lockhart is cancelled due to dev feedback or dev not pushing anaconda due to lockhart. Is this another pastebin or is there a credible source for this?

Mind you, if retail unit has RT accelerated hardware, you would want even more headroom in early dev kits (if RT usage is mandatory). I think Benji saying back in January that dev kits had nearly 13TF probably means Navi with round about 8-9TF + RT hardware would be emulated by Vega inside dev kit, because RT nor Navi where existing back then (nor was early sample of chip ready for DK).

Lockhart was a 'pastebin' too - we don't actually know if it ever existed. A rumoured, mythical console is rumoured to be cancelled for mythical reasons. Honestly, just make your own shit up! Nintendo were working on a VR headset but they've cancelled it due to costs. And Sony are working on a new PlayStation TV idea in parallel with PS5 as a streaming dongle but it's been shelved for the time being.

It's easy and fun to make shit up. That's why everyone else is doing it. Join in!

Or just stay away from discussing any nonsense and wait until there's official word.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back