Next Gen GPU architecture GCN, RDNA, Navi 10/20 (PS5 Navi Hybrid, Xbox Navi Pure) *spawn*

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the other hand, if devs are pushing Zen 2 to the limit with 30fps titles (somehow? lol?), it's going to be a little painful for single-threaded perf, if you get my meaning.:oops:
That remains to be seen I guess. But we've seen games be able to scale across multicore CPUs very well (ie Shadow of the Tomb Raider) and scale across multiple GPUs as well (Shadow of the Tomb Raider).
I guess it's up to the developers to desire chasing the results on PC. But regardless, I don't think MS should care at all they should absolutely be pushing the upper bounds of what is possible.

The argument of: "Thanks MS, now I don't need an Xbox" gets a lot more challenging when their super duper old Corei5/Corei7's cant keep up and suddenly ti's a CPU, Mobo/Memory upgrade (possibly now with SSD changes) just to run the latest Xbox games on their PCs. That console price of 399-499 becomes a lot more tempting.

Also the ps5 chips ?
I tought Sony can make a ps5-lite that works mostly like a ps4-pro by cutting frequencies on less performing chips... That if CU are 36 as it seems... And BC is done just trough HW & OS tricks...
Where exactly did Sony suggest PS5 would have 36 CUs? Or some other party for that matter? Navi 10 configuration has nothing to do with PS5 unless you're going to suggest it's using off-the-shelf Navi 10 for GPU instead of iGPU

The interviewer made a straight question and got a straight answer. The interviewer from Business Insider (i.e. not wccftech&friends) who actually had the conversation with Phil Spencer wrote the single console statement as final.

A straight question but not a straight answer. At no point, even when pressed, would Phil Spencer say they were only releasing one console next year. OTOH, at no point did he say they were releasing more than one console. The wording he chose gives Microsoft the latitude to be correct regardless of whether they release just one console or two consoles.

“Last year we said consoles, and we’ve shipped a console and we’ve now detailed another console. I think that’s plural,” Spencer said.

So, they've shipped one console and they've now talked about another console. So, they've technically fulfilled what he said the prior years without having to involve any other console.

“Technically that is plural,” Spencer said with a laugh after I pushed him on the technicality he invoked. “Right now,” he said, “we’re focused on Project Scarlett and what we put on stage.”

Again, nothing that outright says there is no other console coming next year. Just stating that what they've shipped and shown is technically correct WRT multiple consoles. Even Businessinsider.com is hedging their bets that there might not only be one console next year based on what Phil Spencer has said.

...it just sounds like we’ll only see one in late 2020.

That said, with the information from Thurrott, it seems likely that they might be dropping plans to launch both consoles simultaneously and/or dropping the second console entirely due to developer feedback.

Talking with various people inside and outside of Microsoft, here is my best conclusion as to why the device was removed from the roadmap.

First, developers were having a harder than expected time creating next-generation games that spanned across two systems with various specs. As you might expect, developers were putting a focus on making games that would run well on the lower-end device first and then scaling them up to the higher-speced, Anaconda.

However, that quote doesn't make any sense. Multiplatform developers are going to be making content for both consoles. So the highest quality assets will be used if available.

That speculation only makes sense if the MS console was significantly more powerful than the Sony console (which is highly unlikely). Either that or he's speculating that a lower base Xbox would also limit what developers made for the PlayStation 5. But that wouldn't make sense as the PlayStation 5 is likely going to be the lead platform for most multiplatform developers.

So that speculation would mostly apply to Xbox exclusive developers which would mostly be first party developers. But most if not all Microsoft studios should be experienced with scaling their hardware across a variety of hardware configurations. Especially when Phil has mentioned that Windows PC gaming is a top priority for him. So, all of the MS studios will be expected to be able to scale their games across a very large range of PC hardware.

Regards,
SB

Where exactly did Sony suggest PS5 would have 36 CUs? Or some other party for that matter? Navi 10 configuration has nothing to do with PS5 unless you're going to suggest it's using off-the-shelf Navi 10 for GPU instead of iGPU

They didn't. Just a lot of unfounded rumors, conjecture, astroturfing, shilling, goalpost moving, and just plain ole' bullshit from supposed insiders. Until Sony or Microsoft relay their own messaging, everything else is just drivel.

Last edited:
They didn't. Just a lot of unfounded rumors, conjecture, astroturfing, shilling, goalpost moving, and just plain ole' bullshit from supposed insiders. Until Sony or Microsoft relay their own messaging, everything else is just drivel.
There was the thought that the Gonzalo -> Ariel -> Navi 10 LITE was a conclusive link, but now all Navi versions have a “LITE” variant, which means they can’t all be for consoles.

There was the thought that the Gonzalo -> Ariel -> Navi 10 LITE was a conclusive link, but now all Navi versions have a “LITE” variant, which means they can’t all be for consoles.
Until the impossible happens and we find out they were all for consoles LOL.

Doesn't mean all of them have to ship right? I mean, Ariel ain't shipping no more correct (if Ariel = Lockhart)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back