Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does MS even need real new HW DevKits until the last 6months for fine tuning? These games are developed for Windows and with a build for Xbox S/X. Pretty much most games will be cross generation games anyway with more FPS/GraphicsIQ for XB2 for years to come until that market is large enough to finance game designs which only fit on the next generation.

MS can even expose the nextGen HW DevKits via their cloud service like they already do with xCloud DevKits if needed. Nothing is required to be at the developer sites.

This is all fanboy drivel considering final silicon not exist and beta devkits from both sides had not been sent outside of First Party.

Final silicon designs should be completed. Meaning Sony and Microsoft along with AMD should have some type of bases on product design, potential performance, what to deliver in a SoC/APU design, and how to spec-out PC Alpha Kits until these chips are manufactured. So yes, final chips and final SDKs may not be available to developers, but that doesn't mean Sony/MS haven't finalized their chip architecture for their respective systems at this point. Or hasn't provided developers some type of foundation (or Alpha Kits) towards these targeted performances. This is nothing new or different...

But if people are willing to believe Sony or Microsoft have not completed their SoC/APU designs (I'm not talking about manufacturing or tapped) to be ready by November of next year, then they are kidding themselves. Unless fanboys are under the impression that Sony and Microsoft are battling each other with designs every minute, each hour, each day, each week, and each month with upping each other in designs because internet console warriors are upset with reported rumors... then we have truly entered looney town. By that perspective, all the rumored/possible chips for PS5 and XB-Next are null and void if Sony/MS are flying by the seat of their pants on pleasing their delusional warrior bases.

Last edited:
People citing diminishing returns, whilst true (and it’s debatable how much RT we’ll see) the big thing everyone skips over is the SSD tech.

What is today’s society all about? Immediacy. No-one has patience and loading times can be a real jolt from the game world or long wait. Hibernation this gen has been a game changer for me - I would gladly have a next gen console with this SSD tech and minimal extra grunt because I’m confident the impact of SSD will be one of the biggest impacts on gaming since 3D IMHO.

Nothing should have shipped outside First Party before E3 2019 if similar timelines as OneX.

I would think (regardless of Sony's and MS PR) publishers/developers like Rockstar, Activision, EA and a few other powerhouses have PC based Alpha Kits (spec'd close enough on potential performance of finalized hardware). Not talking final SDKs with actual PS5 or XB-Next hardware, but something from the manufacturers on providing these developers a bases on getting their specific games ready towards a November 2020 launch.

But if people are willing to believe Sony or Microsoft have not completed their SoC/APU designs (I'm not talking about manufacturing or tapped) to be ready by November of next year, then they are kidding themselves. Unless fanboys are under the impression that Sony and Microsoft are battling each other with designs every minute, each hour, each day, each week, and each month
Well it's likely that multiple designs are completed or being completed as opposed to a single design undergoing many changes daily. Yields need to be determined, costs need to be finalized with each configuration. Price point to market need to be selected. Strategy for ROI needs to be solidified and rubber stamped for each configuration before they make their decision. They have not yet decided which one to green light which is why we might be sparse on leaks.

Competitive intelligence will matter here. You don't want to be chasing rainbows and price yourself out of the market. You don't want to be so far below that you have no performance. You want to be where your competitor is but better without incurring more costs than your competitor has to for the same thing.

This is all fanboy drivel considering final silicon not exist and beta devkits from both sides had not been sent outside of First Party.

This is definitely not true because back in October 2018 I saw a pastebin writen by the web designer of a small indie studio that has all the ultra-final hardware specs from both consoles, as well as all the AAA game launches from 1st, 2nd and 3rd party developers until 2025.

People citing diminishing returns, whilst true (and it’s debatable how much RT we’ll see) the big thing everyone skips over is the SSD tech.

What is today’s society all about? Immediacy. No-one has patience and loading times can be a real jolt from the game world or long wait. Hibernation this gen has been a game changer for me - I would gladly have a next gen console with this SSD tech and minimal extra grunt because I’m confident the impact of SSD will be one of the biggest impacts on gaming since 3D IMHO.

I disagree. You forget about the time the game takes to load the moment that well.. the game loads.

Post E3 2019 is when MS would have started pulling in major developer studios outside of their own First Party.

Everything we're hearing now are the echoes of earlier rumors.

Speculation: PC specs would be using PCI-Express 4 enabled motherboard paired with NVME SSD with Ryzen and Navi which are just releasing to public now/soon. Not sure how they plan to target RT.

Even Further Speculation: MS provides access to devkits through their cloud development services or other lab services to the smaller studios who wouldn't need dedicated kits or warrant having multiple hw kits. Simply reserve your devkit timeslot ahead of time and then you are all set.

Well it's likely that multiple designs are completed or being completed as opposed to a single design undergoing many changes daily. Yields need to be determined, costs need to be finalized with each configuration. Price point to market need to be selected. Strategy for ROI needs to be solidified and rubber stamped for each configuration before they make their decision. They have not yet decided which one to green light which is why we might be sparse on leaks.

Competitive intelligence will matter here. You don't want to be chasing rainbows and price yourself out of the market. You don't want to be so far below that you have no performance. You want to be where your competitor is but better without incurring more costs than your competitor has to for the same thing.

This I can agree with. Not the weird comments (mostly goalpost moving and shilling) from warriors that Sony and Microsoft are running around chasing their fantasy system delusions.

Judging from history, devs should have the target specs by now. The 1.84TF was leaked in june 2012, and we had a spec of 6TF in june 2016.

I don't doubt clocks might be tuned a small amount based on final yield, memory amount can be left with options open based on procurement deals, but wouldn't the silicon design goals be final by now?

Well we know Sony has there storage solution in the dev kit already.
Cerny said it was currently a slower version of what it will be in the final console. It's reasonable to assume they are using pcie 3 now as a placeholder, and the final one will be pcie 4.

Devs still get target specs. Surely they would be told what bandwidth and decoding/crypto speed the final silicon will provide for the ssd.

This thread is what I imagine MisterXMedia's R&D thinktank facility produces.

Everybody keep up the good work, it's hilarious! :mrgreen:

Cerny said it was currently a slower version of what it will be in the final console. It's reasonable to assume they are using pcie 3 now as a placeholder, and the final one will be pcie 4.

Devs still get target specs. Surely they would be told what bandwidth and decoding/crypto speed the final silicon will provide for the ssd.

Yeah but it wasn't just some NVME drive in a dev kit unless they were doing something with the software? My NVME drive don't perform like that in the games I play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back