Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
My quake 2 rtx Video. And guess what, no one watched my quake 2 rtx Video even though it had much more of me, much more Analysis with a big A, and much more Real information. Same with my dev Interviews - noone watches or reads them, they are barely even posted here.

You can't expect much of posts about it here, we are mostly console oriented. Many other places do appreciate your content though.The Minecraft RT video is a range-topping 1.1m youtube video also.
Didn't you also cover the death stranding trailer?

The drawback of income based on clicks for content is you need a constant stream of clicks. You can't hang around doing nothing waiting for things to happen. Try negotiating mortgage based on payments when new hardware or interesting game tech is revealed. :runaway:

I understand that but they released the video after the AMD conference. They should of released it earlier than they did.

"It's the third Digital Foundry Direct! And in this 'guerrilla' episode, arch streaming sceptic John Linneman gives his verdict on Stadia running Doom Eternal and checks out a range of E3 demos, including the incredible Cyberpunk 2077! Many thanks to special guest Audi Sorlie for helping out with this one."

Do you get interviews for 100% of the job applications you send :?:
You've got a point, no one can have a perfect batting average.
Sorry for that

Since this is about me I will reply - Youtube content production and being a Journalist in Video games means we need to be constantly producing. The news cycle is 24 hours every day since it is global and unrelenting. Do I prefer to work on some Videos more than others? Most definitely - I think is obvious if you compare a Trailer look Video like Halo Infinite vs. My quake 2 rtx Video. And guess what, no one watched my quake 2 rtx Video even though it had much more of me, much more Analysis with a big A, and much more Real information. Same with my dev Interviews - noone watches or reads them, they are barely even posted here.

I don't want to sound like I'm calling out anyone specific on the team ! In fact, I think your content is great as well.
Any videos that feature yourself, Richard and John whether it's solo or a team, usually come loaded with accurate
detailed information about what is or could potentially be going on in a given scene.

And I don't want to give the impression that I don't watch just about every video you guys drop.
I've spent more hours than I'm willing to admit, watching and rewatching Digital Foundry content, not to mention
you guys have influenced several of my purchases including helping to decide which platform to buy on !
Beyond3d is what made me a Digital Foundry Fan and the technical aspects are what keep me coming back.

With that said I don't want to see you guys fall into that Youtube "Games Journalist" camp, you're not YongYea or ReviewTechUsa or AngryJoe,
you're the guys who geek out about games and have enough technical knowledge to stand head and shoulders above most everyone.
(The E3 coverage still features that of course ! I don't want to sound like I'm saying it doesn't ! :) )

I may have sounded a bit bummed out about the E3 coverage but I'm still watching !
And I now understand why certain content is being made, keep up the good work.

DF's hay day was last gen. With 360 and PS3 being completely opposite in terms of arch, yet so close on performance, there was fun to be had each time new face off was posted.

These days, with both MS and Sony going to same vendor for SOCs, with same requirements and same budget, they have to stretch their analysis so many people feel they fell of. Its just the nature of technology we have in this day and age, and they have to put a bread on the table somehow.

DF's hay day was last gen. With 360 and PS3 being completely opposite in terms of arch, yet so close on performance, there was fun to be had each time new face off was posted.

These days, with both MS and Sony going to same vendor for SOCs, with same requirements and same budget, they have to stretch their analysis so many people feel they fell of. Its just the nature of technology we have in this day and age, and they have to put a bread on the table somehow.
I would agree with this. There was a real mystery as to who would have the better running or looking version of game back then (even though it was usually Xbox). Now the only mystery is between Pro/X, and that's usually down to some strange optimization done on one platform.

Honestly, I think DF’s future lies in giving more sophisticated looks into gaming technology and less gushing about minute differences at the pixel level.

I wonder what it would look like to try to reveal the utility of temporal based techniques using slow mo videos that gradually speed up to show how the techniques produces an effect over a number of frames.

VS works really well at the beginning of gen but it feels like beating a dead horse after 4-5 years into a gen.

Last edited:
Honestly, I think DF’s future lies in giving more sophisticated looks into gaming technology and less gushing about minute differences at the pixel level.
Their future lies in giving the masses what they want. Whichever articles are the popular ones will be made, and if that's lower brow stuff...that's free-market economics for you. ;)

Their future lies in giving the masses what they want. Whichever articles are the popular ones will be made, and if that's lower brow stuff...that's free-market economics for you. ;)

Translation: There will always be masses of console warriors fighting it out to own the machine with the biggest e-peen. :p

Regards,
SB

"Our first look at Marvel's Avengers based on the trailer. Is it just a CG movie or is it running in real-time? And what platform might it be running on? Checkerboarding or native 4K? You have questions, we have answers..."

IMHO, the game looks quite gorgeous, even if the characters have a certain cosplay look to them.

Last edited:

The masses can be satisfied in different ways. Everybody doesn't have to be TMZ or Sunday Sport to cater to their markets and be profitable. And if the next Xbox and PlayStation end up with basically the same tech and performance, what low brow stuff are they going to use when most of the games look relatively the same?

"59 fps vs 60 fps: Why it really matters"
"OMG the PS5 reserve 10MB more memory for its OS, SEE THE DIFFERENCE!!!"

The masses can be satisfied in different ways. Everybody doesn't have to be TMZ or Sunday Sport to cater to their markets and be profitable. And if the next Xbox and PlayStation end up with basically the same tech and performance, what low brow stuff are they going to use when most of the games look relatively the same?
I hav eno idea. The only thing we can be sure of is DF will put up articles, see which ones are popular, and focus on making those. If they can't be popular enough, they'll end as an operation.

I would say a solid 59 vs a solid 60 fps would be noticeable.
58 vs 59 fps probably not.

They do more than just fps comparisons though, if that's all then vgtech would be more than enough.

I personally also enjoy their coverage, even when not doing console x vs y comparisons. Don't know how much in the minority I am though.
Bet people would still want to know which console got some form of win though, even if it was it loaded in .5 sec quicker.

"OMG the PS5 reserve 10MB more memory for its OS, SEE THE DIFFERENCE!!!"
PC >> Anything else. Greatest hits=>
typical excuses
"Unlocked framerate is unacceptable"(unless the game is in my console)
"Resolution is just a number"
"Has only four filters"
"The human eyes can only see 30 fps"

"Our first look at Marvel's Avengers based on the trailer. Is it just a CG movie or is it running in real-time? And what platform might it be running on? Checkerboarding or native 4K? You have questions, we have answers..."

IMHO, the game looks quite gorgeous, even if the characters have a certain cosplay look to them.

I didn't realize this was even a question. As soon as I loaded up the 4K version on YouTube it looked totally real-time and achievable, if not a bit rough.

I actually even say that exact same thing in the video ^_^
Looking at it in lower resolutions or from small screens it can easily deceive. They nailed perfectly the CGish look in the lighting, destruction, camera angles and physics. The various artifacts and aliasing visible in higher resolutions is a give away of course.
Something similar I had with FF7. The low res video of the trailer look like CG. Once I downloaded the high res video from gamersyde it was a different story.

Hey @Dictator, just had an idea for a cool and potentially quite long-running series of content. How about exploring the impact of software by comparing first-year and last-year titles on a platform? Look at what devs started with, and then look at how, with experience and new techniques, they were able to stretch the machines more. Maybe you could get some devs to talk about it too, explaining what they learned from their first title and how they improved things and came up with clever solutions?

You'd be able to look at all the consoles, and look at multiple titles for each, perhaps looking a genre like SNES racing games one article, then SNES platformers another; whatever gives good contrast and shows real improvements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back