Which was your first game?

Cyan

orange
Legend
Supporter
Mine was Microsoft Golf for the PC.

I bought it along with my 1st PC, in late 1995. I didn't have any money, logically, but.... Long story, I was in the wrong place at the wrong time, I took the toughest blow of all the people involved and lost my spleen in a car crash --I was a passenger. I gave the money from the insurance's compensation to my parents but I asked them to let me buy a PC, the rest I gave to them. And that's how I bought a powerful PC and a game.

I also bought Need for Speed that day, but the golf game was my first.

Pong?

Unless you specifically mean the first game we ever purchased ourselves.
In which case, I think that was Swordquest: Fireworld (1983) for Atari 2600.
The first game I bought that was good was Racing Destruction Set (1985) for C64.

Pong. It’s actually a fun game.
Lunar lander on a PDP-11.
And of course Moria/Nethack where I descended into the dungeon as a very anxious "@”.
First game I bought was probably "Dark Castle" as a PhD student. It ran on Mac Plus/SEs that started spreading at the department for writing papers.

What is striking is that "degree of fun" hasn’t changed all that much even since then.

Something that sorta looked like Space Invaders (but wasn't) on an arcade machine in the lobby of a hotel in Greece. I'm guessing Galaga.

Oh, so it's actually the first game we played, not that we owned? In that case, I think it was Street Fighter II, for me.

The first game I played was PONG on a PONG console with paddle controllers in the late 70s.
The first game I bought was Space Invaders for my Atari 2600.
The first PC game I played was Wing Commander on a friend's 286 (which was shitty expensive at the time).
I don't really remember what was the first PC game I bought, could have been Ultima VII: The Black Gate

By today's standards, just about every Chris Roberts game was a shitty experience on release.
If you had the recommended optimal specs for, let's say, Strike Commander at the time (which was a 486 Dx50 iirc), you were still looking at a sub 20 fps experience.

The Simpsons game that was remastered a few years ago for PS4. I played it on a 386 DX at 32Mhz with 4MB RAM and 80Mb HDD :LOL:

And the DOS Gorilla throwing bananas one, most likely the god father of Worms.

My first home console game I believe was a Tennis Atari game :)
But before that I did play some arcade games. My earliest memory of a video game is either outrun or a table top arcade game which had platforms and Egypt in the background. I think it had the sphinx and the pyramids. I was probably 4 years old :p

One of the Pong variants that some guys dad brought back from singapore or hong kong or japan (somewhere in asia, back when the cost of flying from nz to australia in economy cost about what it costs today to fly first class nz to london 'no exageration btw' ),

My first home console game I believe was a Tennis Atari game :)
But before that I did play some arcade games. My earliest memory of a video game is either outrun or a table top arcade game which had platforms and Egypt in the background. I think it had the sphinx and the pyramids. I was probably 4 years old :p
Outrun, I kinda remember..., it was in an arcade close to my school at the time. First memories of a videogame are this...
sonic-the-hedgehog.jpg

and Megaman 3 for the NES, both from my best friend -we still play together these days-
One of the Pong variants that some guys dad brought back from singapore or hong kong or japan (somewhere in asia, back when the cost of flying from nz to australia in economy cost about what it costs today to fly first class nz to london 'no exageration btw' ),
haha back then stars were mythical creatures and some things that seemed for the chosen ones, like having a computer, were super expensive.

I made the calculations, my current laptop, had existed back in 1995 would cost 300000€ and I am not exaggerating.

Pong?

Unless you specifically mean the first game we ever purchased ourselves.
In which case, I think that was Swordquest: Fireworld (1983) for Atari 2600.
The first game I bought that was good was Racing Destruction Set (1985) for C64.
Pong was in every machine, I think. The Commodore 64...., I remember a cousin of mine had one -it was either a Commodore or an Amstrad-. Graphically wise games didnt look bad on the C64.

Horace goes skiing

My dad got a ZX Spextrum on the black market (we were living in Poland behind the Iron Curtain at the time)

First PC game was Kings Quest 1.
Sorry to hear that you had to go through that no matter how harmless the iron curtain was.

iirc, Kings Quest 1 is the precursor of Heroes of Might and Magic style games, right? HoMM series has some of my favourite games.

The first game I purchased was Pipe Mania (MS-DOS version).
the precursor or Mario then. First time I hear about this game.
Pong,
edit:
No it was actually Combat for the atari 2600
Combat reminds me of this Wii tanks game included with every Wii, which is so addictive, and some projectiles bounce on the walls.
Tomb Fucking Raider II. So proud.
hahah, you started later than me. You were up for a nice start. Many people had to play crappier games before touching games like Tomb Raider.
one of the first games i remember playing was this one

I played that one iirc. When you managed to connect a punch it was very satisfying, 'cos it was a rare occurrence.

Pong. It’s actually a fun game.
Lunar lander on a PDP-11.
And of course Moria/Nethack where I descended into the dungeon as a very anxious "@”.
First game I bought was probably "Dark Castle" as a PhD student. It ran on Mac Plus/SEs that started spreading at the department for writing papers.

What is striking is that "degree of fun" hasn’t changed all that much even since then.
I searched for the PDP-11 and .... its looks, are like those of a science fiction novel or movie.

As for Moria.., I can guess it is a Lord of the Rings game, but it looks like it is an adventure of sorts.

Is this Dark Castle?

It does look ok to me.

return_to_dark_castle-311009-1261334959.jpeg

Back