Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
7-8 was always my guess. Saturation and ARc

on this forum, we do donation bets.

You lose you donate.
If we're doing that, it needs to be official with a poll! What's the threshold? 10TF? People can publicly vote for less then 10, greater than 10, and then, if they're proper ballsy, pay up when we know the truth.

If we're doing that, it needs to be official with a poll! What's the threshold? 10TF? People can publicly vote for less then 10, greater than 10, and then, if they're proper ballsy, pay up when we know the truth.
lol i dunno. I'll let Brit and ProElite settle it. I checked donation pages and it appears now incompatible with the forum software. So it has to be a Subscriber bet instead. You lose you must subscribe to the next tier!

I am still in the 11-12 team. Historically no consoles has ever being released with a SSD either.

History is inevitably bound not to repeat itself.

I am still in the 11-12 team. Historically no consoles has ever being released with a SSD either.

History is inevitably bound not to repeat itself.
Technology changes generation to generation things get cheaper etc.

The only constant has really been the price point. We have never seen consoles in the 700-1000 dollar range. $599 is the highest.

NeoGeo and 3DO launched at 700 US. It was ridiculous.

TurboGrafx 16 wins the best console name in history.

MS should call scarlett TurboSnek Infinity.

Wouldn't they be fighting for early volume against other markets?
Just like Sony did when they started producing the Pro SoCs during early 2016, I guess. Which is why dual-sourcing could be an option, or Sony using TSMC and Microsoft using Samsung, or vice-versa.

That dream never should have started. As many said earlier, 12TF was always too far.
12 TFLOPs wasn't too far when thinking of Vega TFLOPs on 7nm IMO.
Navi TFLOPs are 25% more effective per-CU per-clock, but apparently they can make around 30% less CUs per-billion-transistors. Which makes sense because transistors getting cheaper on each new node is becoming the one sure thing between process transitions. Navi CUs apparently can clock higher too (before hitting serious power efficiency walls), though not nearly enough to compensate for the difference in CU count, so we get higher performance with lower throughput.

So with Navi 12 TFLOPs are harder to achieve on 7nm. We'd be looking at a GPU that is 30% faster than the 5700 XT at the 1755MHz "game clock", so it would definitely be in the RTX 2080 performance range.
It might still be possible, depending on which node they're using. I wouldn't be surprised if the current devkits for both next-gen consoles are using a Radeon VII, to be honest.

John Sell did work on 3DO...

Just like Sony did when they started producing the Pro SoCs during early 2016, I guess. Which is why dual-sourcing could be an option, or Sony using TSMC and Microsoft using Samsung, or vice-versa.

Pro would have been a lower volume order compared to the needs of a new console launch though that does remind me of the 2 other Slim SKUs appearing at the same time there.

NeoGeo had two SKUs in the U.S. in 1991.

Gold system: $649 (2 controllers, memory card, 1 pack-in game, Magician Lord)
Silver system: $399 (1 controller, no game)

Last edited:
So since we know the Navi 5700 xt is 225W TDP with 9.75 Navi TF, is the dream of 12 Navi TF console over? Are we now realistically looking at a 9 TF console in the best case scenario?

That dream never should have started. As many said earlier, 12TF was always too far.

Alarm clock to those still dreaming: They still need to add RayTracing Hardware and CPUs to the power consumption and heat dissipation concerns.

225W is TBP. Actual TDP is 180W.

1. 7nm+ improves 10~15% of power efficiency.
2. RDNA2 may have better efficiency because of new architecture.
3. Better yield in 2020 may help transistors to use lower voltage with larger chip.

So 12 TF is possible,and is necessary.

225W is TBP. Actual TDP is 180W.

You're still missing the CPUs and the Hardware RayTracing Units (as well as Advanced Audio Units, SSD and Optical Drive) power usage and cooling requirements.

Also, TBP is a better figure, since that includes power usage of the RAM, which consoles still require.

Indeed. Also, how cheap Nintendo prefer to be. They really like that '$300' threshold. Given NSW was also $300, perhaps we should expect that as a ceiling for any future hardware? Whereas the others are happy to shift the price barrier in favour of more hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back