Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So since we know the Navi 5700 xt is 225W TDP with 9.75 Navi TF, is the dream of 12 Navi TF console over? Are we now realistically looking at a 9 TF console in the best case scenario?

NAVI 5700X 180W 7nm
RTX2070 175W 12nm
XB 1X GPU 120W 16nm (estimated)

We can find that current Navi (without any RT) has poor power efficiency even with the best 7nm process available.

Oh boy here it comes..

1 - Core clocks on modern GPUs are governed by power consumption and heat. The presence of RT hardware doesn't inherently make a GPU consume more, at most it'll make the GPU clock lower. I.e. a RT-less 2070 wouldn't consume less.

2 - There's no factual proof on how much better TSMC's 7nm is than TSMC+nvidia's 12FFN. It's probably better, but there's a bunch of reasons why nvidia preferred to make large graphics chips on 12FFN instead of making smaller ones on 7nm. If nvidia thought they could do 200mm^2 chips with the same performance as a TU106 and consuming 100W using 7nm, they probably would have adopted the node by now.

3 - Navi's typical power consumption on gaming loads hasn't been shown. There's no actual comparison to be made yet.

4 - The "best 7nm process available" at the moment is the worst 7nm process there will ever be (no EUV layers, low yields so only small-ish chips can be made and with redundancy to be harvestable).

New So since we know the Navi 5700 xt is 225W TDP with 9.75 Navi TF, is the dream of 12 Navi TF console over? Are we now realistically looking at a 9 TF console in the best case scenario?
Since the new-gens are coming only during holidays 2020 (or at least Scarlett is) then their final SoCs might be made on Samsung's 5LPE and/or TSMC's 7FF+. EUV should provide better yields, so they can probably make larger chips at lower clocks to reach higher performance at lower power consumption.

Last edited by a moderator:
So since we know the Navi 5700 xt is 225W TDP with 9.75 Navi TF, is the dream of 12 Navi TF console over? Are we now realistically looking at a 9 TF console in the best case scenario?

Not exactly, we know that in 2019 on 7nm a Navi based product from AMD has a 225 TDP for 9.75 TF.

Things we don't know are there design issues or bugs that are preventing it from achieving a better efficiency that will be addressed in the next revision? Even if the consoles don't pick the next RDNA revision, I expect them to fix power issues.

Is the 7nm process itself getting refined further for a better efficiency? Or can the consoles ship with 7nm+/EUV? Will the cost of 7nm drop to allow more CUs at a lower clock? Power consumption scales quadratically with voltage and linearly with frequency so running a bigger chip at a lower voltage and frequency can have a huge impact on power consumption.

Are we getting just a 9 TF console or is it ~9TF console with additional ray-tracing hardware?

I think there are just so many unknowns at this point, but today my expectation is that both consoles will perform around a ~1080ti/2080 level (something I didn't really expect a year or two ago).

Since the new-gens are coming only during holidays 2020 (or at least Scarlett is) then their final SoCs might be made on Samsung's 5LPE and/or TSMC's 7FF+. EUV should provide better yields, so they can probably make larger chips at lower clocks to reach higher performance at lower power consumption.
Do they even have time for that? I thought things would have be locked way before the actual manufacturing starts, changing to a larger chips requires more testing and etc, sorry I could be just clueless on this, how possible do you think this would eventuate?

Not exactly, we know that in 2019 on 7nm a Navi based product from AMD has a 225 TDP for 9.75 TF.

Things we don't know are there design issues or bugs that are preventing it from achieving a better efficiency that will be addressed in the next revision? Even if the consoles don't pick the next RDNA revision, I expect them to fix power issues.

Is the 7nm process itself getting refined further for a better efficiency? Or can the consoles ship with 7nm+/EUV? Will the cost of 7nm drop to allow more CUs at a lower clock? Power consumption scales quadratically with voltage and linearly with frequency so running a bigger chip at a lower voltage and frequency can have a huge impact on power consumption.

Are we getting just a 9 TF console or is it ~9TF console with additional ray-tracing hardware?

I think there are just so many unknowns at this point, but today my expectation is that both consoles will perform around a ~1080ti/2080 level (something I didn't really expect a year or two ago).
Thank for the explanation, so there are revisions to consider, I just hope they have enough time to hit it before everything is locked down.
And yeah I'll be blown away if any of them comes near 1080 ti/2080 in performance :).

So since we know the Navi 5700 xt is 225W TDP with 9.75 Navi TF, is the dream of 12 Navi TF console over?

That dream never should have started. As many said earlier, 12TF was always too far.

Alarm clock to those still dreaming: They still need to add RayTracing Hardware and CPUs to the power consumption and heat dissipation concerns.

What if they go for a full rack sized console like we always wanted. :p
/keeping the dream alive :mrgreen:
shifty.gif

That dream never should have started. As many said earlier, 12TF was always too far.

Alarm clock to those still dreaming: They still need to add RayTracing Hardware and CPUs to the power consumption and heat dissipation concerns.
orig

It's 4 times the processing power of X so the 24TF dream is still alive. :runaway:

RT hardware support, the addition of RPM fp16, and the 1.25x IPC, certainly all makes comparing raw TF figures the wrong metric.

Do they even have time for that? I thought things would have be locked way before the actual manufacturing starts, changing to a larger chips requires more testing and etc, sorry I could be just clueless on this, how possible do you think this would eventuate?
Well IIRC both Samsung 5nm and TSMC 7FF+ are scheduled to start mass production in the beginning of 2020, and tape-outs for the first chips coming that time should be about to come up in the next few months.
Those roadmaps have been known for quite a while (AFAIK at least mid-2016), and current devkits are probably using PC hardware (could be Radeon VII for all we know).

Well IIRC both Samsung 5nm and TSMC 7FF+ are scheduled to start mass production in the beginning of 2020, and tape-outs for the first chips coming that time should be about to come up in the next few months.
Those roadmaps have been known for quite a while (AFAIK at least mid-2016), and current devkits are probably using PC hardware (could be Radeon VII for all we know).
I like the sound of this, let's hope everything goes smooth.

It did too for comparing CPU flops. People got over that one pretty quick.
Well the only moment in the history of consoles where TF made sense was xb1 vs ps4 since it was such an identical architecture. And for the cpu it was so identical we used the good old MHZ.

We might be in a similar situation this time too. Unless MS have hardware RT and Sony doesn't or something. AMD said they both had their requested customizations.

Gamers only care about how it looks, but the specs can tell whether they have unused power at launch to be unlocked later, I'm afraid RT will be like that, specially if there's dedicated silicon for it. They need to hype this if launch games are just crossgen.

Wouldn't they be fighting for early volume against other markets?

10 TFlops was my dream, Still possible but unlikely. Games will still look fantastic though. I feel we have almost got to the point where the talent, time and budget involved in making a game is the limiting factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back