Advanced Audio Technologies (HRTF, Dolby Atmos, etc) *echo*

https://www.pcgamer.com/best-gaming-headset Difficult decision, if I get something similar 80-90€ is my budget limit, so most probably stereo headphones will do it for me

Unless you want a wireless headset that connects through a proprietary USB dongle (instead of bluetooth that usually brings lots of latency), I wouldn't follow a PC gaming website for choosing headphones. Regardless of the price.

For PC gaming what you generally want is a headset with V-shaped frequency response and large-ish drivers that can better reproduce bass-heavy explosions. Also, unless making noise around you is a problem, you should get open-ended headphones for an improved soundstage (i.e. perception of the sound coming from a distance instead of inside your head).

I'd follow this guide:
Look for the tags that say "gamer", "open" and "bass".

In your case, if you're going for a wired headset I think these are great and their price seems to be what you're looking for:

https://www.amazon.es/Sennheiser-HD-559-Auriculares-Diadema/dp/B01L1IIEKM/
(España, si? ;) )

That guy's review of the 559 are the first ~15min of this hilarious video:

But depending on what you have at the moment, you might need a dedicated soundcard for them, though.

Unless you want a wireless headset that connects through a proprietary USB dongle (instead of bluetooth that usually brings lots of latency), I wouldn't follow a PC gaming website for choosing headphones. Regardless of the price.

For PC gaming what you generally want is a headset with V-shaped frequency response and large-ish drivers that can better reproduce bass-heavy explosions. Also, unless making noise around you is a problem, you should get open-ended headphones for an improved soundstage (i.e. perception of the sound coming from a distance instead of inside your head).

I'd follow this guide:
Look for the tags that say "gamer", "open" and "bass".
[/MEDIA]

But depending on what you have at the moment, you might need a dedicated soundcard for them, though.
some great stuff there. What I want is mostly good all around headphones. So probably Gaming-Open-Bass, yes, but Open as the main characteristic sounds fine to me.

In your case, if you're going for a wired headset I think these are great and their price seems to be what you're looking for:

https://www.amazon.es/Sennheiser-HD-559-Auriculares-Diadema/dp/B01L1IIEKM/
(España, si? ;) )

That guy's review of the 559 are the first ~15min of this hilarious video:

Siiiiiiiiiiii. xD
Sennheiser is one of the brands that I always wanted to try, but found some of their prices prohibitive. This one is affordable though, nothing major hifi. If I get them, I shall share my impressions.

Now that you mention it, I got an email from Creative today featuring the new SoundBlasterX G6 external soundcard for PS4, PC, Switch and Xbox One.

As for the video review, I couldn't manage to read the paper summing everything up, but I am glad to know that he likes the Sennheiser 559, good for relaxing he says.​

Now that you mention it, I got an email from Creative today featuring the new SoundBlasterX G6 external soundcard for PS4, PC, Switch and Xbox One.

That one's nice but also not cheap.
If you're going to use Atmos or Windows Sonic then you don't really need Creative's in-house virtual surround. Something much cheaper like the SoundBlaster E1 could be enough to drive the HD 559. People say great things about Sabre DACs, too.

That one's nice but also not cheap.
If you're going to use Atmos or Windows Sonic then you don't really need Creative's in-house virtual surround. Something much cheaper like the SoundBlaster E1 could be enough to drive the HD 559. People say great things about Sabre DACs, too.
it's been a while since I had my last Creative device, got a Roland SD-50 instead of a typical soundcard but first I still prefer getting something like those Sennheiser headphones...

On a different note, DTS Sound Unbound is finally available in the Windows 10 Store, at least the page with information on it.

https://www.microsoft.com/store/productId/9PJ0NKL8MCSJ

I've been testing Windows Sonic the last few days myself. It's decent, certainly better than default sound if you want immersion.

The best way to compare it to Dolby Atmos was playing a game with superb positional sound, Alien Isolation. What I found is that Windows Sonic is quite good for a free feature.

That being said, the sound is different. Hearing the steps of the alien is more difficult, they don't sound as clear. Positional audio is great though.

Where it loses to Dolby Atmos is when the Alien screams..., it doesnt sound as chilling. It also lacks the bass sound of Dolby Atmos, the bass sound isn't as good.

With Windows Sonic, the alien sounds as it was walking further than it is when playing the game using Dolby Atmos.

Anyways, here is a comparison, which is accurate with what I experienced playing Alien Isolation.

So, for free surround sound Windows Sonic does a good job, but if you want more quality get Atmos.

p.s. I set the volume slider in W10 to 27 when I use Dolby Atmos, but when playing Alien Isolation with Windows Sonic enabled I had to tune it up to 40 or so to achieve a similar volume. Positional audio is quite good with Windows Sonic, it's just that some details get lost and the sound isn't as "warm".

Last edited:
sounds great to my ears not bad microsoft!
this comment in the video sums it all up if you want to discern the differences. I listened to the video using Dolby Atmos for headphones, but the point is that the differences are clear.

3:30 Stereo, 6:28 Sonic, 9:31 Dolby, You can tell a lot just from this first sequence.

That's not a patch on my experiences with Sony's virtual surround headset playing Apex Legends. Positional audio in that is really good.
what's that headset? I mean, which model?

Positional audio is also good with Windows Sonic, however Dolby sounds better -I spent 31 hours playing Alien Isolation with Dolby Atmost enabled, then the other day I decided to test Windows Sonic, and I was soooo used to the game's audio that the differences were noticeable from the get go-.

Everything sounds further than it sounds with Dolby Atmos and less punchy. Positional audio is very good though.

Why use Atmos or Sonic in Alien Isolation when the game already has its own built it HRTF surround system ?

Edit: Scratch that..I'm dumb...forgot we are talking about headphones...yeah Atmos all the way in that case. Windows Sonic is to light on the lower frequencies.

Last edited:
Why use Atmos or Sonic in Alien Isolation when the game already has its own built it HRTF surround system ?

Edit: Scratch that..I'm dumb...forgot we are talking about headphones...yeah Atmos all the way in that case. Windows Sonic is to light on the lower frequencies.
interesting, I found that to be true as well. The lower frequencies weren't coming in as strong

On this topic, Creative seems to be making quite the comeback with the Super X-Fi products that create custom HRTFs based on smartphone pictures taken from each person's head and outer ears.

So far it's only being used to create the feeling of a wider soundstage from stereo sources, and it seems to be successful even among audiophiles because it works really well even for IEMs.
However, they're not using it for object-based nor multichannel audio. That feels like such a lost opportunity because positional audio could be best appreciated on games and movies.
Couldn't they use it for games on the PC, or adapt to pre-encoded formats like Dolby Digital / Atmos?

ill give alien isolation a go and compare!
good luck. It's a game better played when one goes to the bathroom, if you know what I mean. Uffffffff, so intense.

Your typical day in Alien Isolation.

giphy.gif

this is what I call fear

e3-2019-nintendo-alien-isolation-on-nintendo-switch.jpg

The other side of the coin is your hearing.
This is as good a test as I’ve found online. A problem with any test done online is lack of calibrated levels, which will affect the results a lot (Fletcher-Munson curves et cetera).
This test uses relative levels by embedding the signal in noise. It’s also functional - rather than trying to do a full spectrum test, it uses spoken words. But then, picking up information in the presence of ”noise” is what we need in real environments, and for that matter in gaming. It could have done a bit more in terms of directionality, but it is still OK.

If you don’t score well (you should) on this test, that doesn’t mean your hearing is bad. But if your headphones seem good on the test Cyan posted, and you still find the hearing test difficult, it may be a good idea to check your hearing. Quite a bit can be off with it without anyone ever noticing that you find it a bit harder than most to determine directions for instance.

If your headphones and ears do well in the pure tests in Cyans post, and the masking tests here you’re probably at least OK.

PS. Audiocheck.net is a great resource for headphone and other audio testing. The binaural test is a great argument in favour of better 3D audio! :)

Last edited:
Indeed. The 20k treble test is not suitable for adults whose high frequency stops well before that. You're headphones could be reproducing 20kHz just fine (although everything above 5 kHz is just a ghastly whine so why would you even want to??) but it'll sound like they're no good when you can't hear about 14kHz.

This is as good a test as I’ve found online
As ever, I'm a frickin' outlier again. Would be nice to sit comfortably in the centre of the bell curve just once! TBH I'm surprised as I thought I might score a little low as I do have trouble making out what people are saying at times. Although that's without noise. Maybe my 'hearing good diction against noise' is great, but my ability to understand ordinary folk is rubbish? I bet I score bottom 5th percentile in making out song lyrics!

Last edited:
This is as good a test as I’ve found online. A problem with any test done online is lack of calibrated levels, which will affect the results a lot (Fletcher-Munson curves et cetera).
This test uses relative levels by embedding the signal in noise. It’s also functional - rather than trying to do a full spectrum test, it uses spoken words. But then, picking up information in the presence of ”noise” is what we need in real environments, and for that matter in gaming. It could have done a bit more in terms of directionality, but it is still OK.

If you don’t score well (you should) on this test, that doesn’t mean your hearing is bad. But if your headphones seem good on the test Cyan posted, and you still find the hearing test difficult, it may be a good idea to check your hearing. Quite a bit can be off with it without anyone ever noticing that you find it a bit harder than most to determine directions for instance.

If your headphones and ears do well in the pure tests in Cyans post, and the masking tests here you’re probably at least OK.

PS. Audiocheck.net is a great resource for headphone and other audio testing. The binaural test is a great argument in favour of better 3D audio! :)
thanks for sharing, I tried the tests... My tranquil and calm life in these forgotten mountains seem to pay off in a way, my hearing is still okay. I got an above average score on the combinations of numbers test with background noise. After 15KHz I hear nothing though.

I feel for deejays.... 4 years ago I went to a nightclub in the city where the disc jockey had been working for years and he looked like he was in his 50s. The level of treble he applied to the sound could destroy your ears, and the guy was so calm playing the music.

I was there for a while, I did bear with it but it got to a point where I asked my girlfriend if we could leave and listen to music in a different place because I had to cap my own ears with my fingers, when I didn't oh my the shrieking sound... It was a pity 'cos my gf cousins where there and we were having fun, but even they complained

Back