GDC 2019: Game Technology and Presentation Thread

Where is the Crytek RT demo? I haven't heard anything about it so far.

I believe Crytek only showed some montage footage of games coming/using the latest Cryengine.

Achieved with CRYENGINE - ready for excellence. Eleven great feature titles, released or to be released in 2019, show off in this iteration of the annual CRYENGINE Showcase. The power to realize your vision is at your fingertips!

00:15 Kingdom Come: Deliverance
00:28 Heathen - The Sons of the Law
00:40 MISCREATED
00:52 Racing Glider
01:04 ShadowSide
01:16 UAYEB: The Dry Land
01:28 Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem
01:40 War of Rights
01:52 Vanguard: Normandy 1944
02:01 Mavericks: Proving Grounds
02:08 SNOW

Interesting talk, basically there are still a lot of limitations for games to use RT and only in certain areas or conditions does RT become performance friendly. A game like Spiderman due to its outdoor, building and glasses heavy nature would most likely run RT the best and shows it off the best while Uncharted and God of War might have to wait for awhile due to the foliage heavy and catacomb bound interiors. The First bounce RT GI is next to useless at this point, the result is simply not prominent enough to replace rasterization anything short of 2+ bounces. RT AO is as good as tits on a nun, traditional AO does the job more than fine. Yeah I can't see RT fully takes off till PS5 Pro when 20 - 30 TF gpus are becoming the norm.

So, Quixel says Rebirth it's running in real time on 1080ti. There are some shortcuts or less favorable frames when running in editor, namely some post process missing or lighting pass, but results are still preety good.

So, Quixel says Rebirth it's running in real time on 1080ti. There are some shortcuts or less favorable frames when running in editor, namely some post process missing or lighting pass, but results are still preety good.

Indeed. Like I said previously their whole PR (Quixel & Epic) was littered with factual lies to say the least (btw the original claim from Quixel was "it's rendered @ 4K/24fps on a single 1080ti"). Even this video is full of half-truths ("we never had to stop and wait for renders"..sure..that's why the meshes being added to the scenes don't have AO..it has to be baked..or why the lighting shown here doesn't look like the movie at all...) .
Anyways they had literally a week at GDC to show it running in real-time...they didn't. Anyways.. don't put too much stock into their claims.

Last edited:
Even star of the show, textures are far cry in quality/ resolution lets compare 0;14 in movie vs lets say 1;08 in Behind Rebirth. Obviously Lods gonna lod , mip maps gonna mip but that bulletpoint was promised... Wonder what kind of texture memory budget would make such assets feasible even with fair LODs for 4k display rez etc

Indeed. Like I said previously their whole PR (Quixel & Epic) was littered with factual lies to say the least (btw the original claim from Quixel was "it's rendered @ 4K/24fps on a single 1080ti"). Even this video is full of half-truths ("we never had to stop and wait for renders"..sure..that's why the meshes being added to the scenes don't have AO..it has to be baked..or why the lighting shown here doesn't look like the movie at all...) .
Anyways they had literally a week at GDC to show it running in real-time...they didn't. Anyways.. don't put too much stock into their claims.
There ya go:

Final Output (which is what the short/movie is..) pre-rendered at 5120x2160@24fps in UE4.

Is Unreal trying to compete in the tv/movie space?
I've noticed seeing some children's show that look like they have been rendered using a game engine such as UE or Unity.

Is Unreal trying to compete in the tv/movie space?
I've noticed seeing some children's show that look like they have been rendered using a game engine such as UE or Unity.
Yup that's their big push since 2017. Same for Unity. En goal is to replace animation packages, final frame renderers, compositors and have it all done through UE/Unity. What Epic is doing with the Epic Store on PC (throwing its Fortnite/tencent money around) they have already been doing in the FX/Film/advertising industry for nearly 2 years by "moneyhating" the hell out of a lot of stuff.

Yup that's their big push since 2017. Same for Unity. En goal is to replace animation packages, final frame renderers, compositors and have it all done through UE/Unity. What Epic is doing with the Epic Store on PC (throwing its Fortnite/tencent money around) they have already been doing in the FX/Film/advertising industry for nearly 2 years by "moneyhating" the hell out of a lot of stuff.
yup, I'd swear I've seen ads or professional videos made by artists created with Unity.

Then on the flip side you have packages like Blender with realtime renderers (EEVEE), which are far better suited to the job really. The only upside to game engines courting this space is improving tools and workflows for games.

Back