Gears 5 [XO, XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

Initial thought was a procedural thing just to make it automagically, but I suppose if there's a leaderboard involved, they'd want something standardized. hm.

If they do daily leaderboards like many of the popular Rogue Like/Lights then they can have procedurally generated levels with a shared seed for the daily leader board. That allows everyone to have the same procedurally generated content. Seeds can also be shared for these games so that multiple people can share the same procedurally generated content outside of the daily challenge.

Regards,
SB

Seems there's more to show today and tomorrow... That Kait trailer thing was just so.... artsy and awfully weird. Maybe Kait becomes the new Queen at the end of the game. :|

i guess they are trying something new?
from the responses I'm reading across the inter webs;
it's not working.

For escape? I mean, they say it's a mix of horde and campaign, but uh..... that's the same as Gears 4, but now in byte sized levels. >_> yay.

Gears 3 had Beast & Judgment had Overrun, which had far more potential for changing things up.

Facials and mocap are pretty crazy and running in real time. I don't think there's a studio that uses UE4 better than The Coalition. Jedi Fallen Order looks miles behind for example.

https://www.windowscentral.com/gear...d-season-pass-still-features-direct-purchases

Gears 5 eliminates loot boxes and season pass, features 'direct purchases'

https://www.gears5.com/earning-content

In Gears 5, our goal is to create a player-first experience when it comes to in-game content, and it starts with this:
  • No Season Pass
  • No Gear Packs
  • DLC Maps are free for matchmaking and Private Play
  • Exclusive earnable content in the all-new Tour of Duty system
  • All store purchases are direct, no RNG so you always know what you will get

It'd be nice if they brought back part of the Gears 2/3 unlockable system that looked at previously unlocked achievements as a means to instantly unlock certain skins for longstanding players.

I hope the paid skins are a whole other level of design & creativity too, and not just a bunch of models from previous games.

I think someone ( @AlBran ) mentioned some of the Escape gameplay sections looking like Doom's SNAP Maps ... Well, it's probably not far from it, considering you can build your own Hives with Map Builder.

mmm.... At least this looks more casual-friendly in terms of putting a level together. Doom's snap-map felt very... time consuming. On the other hand, it's too bad Escape is limited to 3 people - maybe the rooms had to be a certain size to fit the worst-case frame budget?

Hopefully they'll expand to a different environment tileset later on & allow very different types of environments to connect. I can already feel the dread repetition like a labyrinth. There's a reason why Gears 2 felt like it took forever underneath in the Hollow.

----------

I'd actually be curious if Splash Damage is handling this. :p (just a leap in logic)

Last edited:
Back