Sony, No 2019 E3 Showing

Speaking of Engadget...
It's a good burn on MS, they did punt this 2019 E3.
If they blew it out of the park I suspect that these articles would have a different tone. It was MS' opportunity to blow things up and I do agree they choked.

I absolutely detest the position Jessica took on not coming out to play means you didn't lose. No - you lost. Your probability of winning when you participate is > 0%, you don't participate it's 0. By default you don't even get the free participation trophies that we hand out to the losers because they actually showed up.

Who peddles that type of stupid mentality. That's like saying, I could have gotten that job over that guy if I applied and went for the interview. But you didn't, and that's why you didn't get the job. I could beat you all in chess, but I don't feel like playing. I'm the best eSports player in the world, but I don't want to waste my time having a match against you. It's not her job to cover for Sony. Sony isn't even complaining about not being at E3. Why the hell does she feel like she needs to cover for them as if they didn't lose.

What kind stupid [expletive] commentary is that.

She should have stopped at, Sony didn't have much to announce, so they didn't and compensated another way. MS failed to capitalize on a massive opportunity that I'm sure they won't get another chance to; a sad ending to what should have been a complete success story for them. End of story.

It's a good burn on MS, they did punt this 2019 E3.
If they blew it out of the park I suspect that these articles would have a different tone. It was MS' opportunity to blow things up and I do agree they choked.

I absolutely detest the position Jessica took on not coming out to play means you didn't lose. No - you lost. Your probability of winning when you participate is > 0%, you don't participate it's 0. By default you don't even get the free participation trophies that we hand out to the losers because they actually showed up.

Who peddles that type of stupid mentality. That's like saying, I could have gotten that job over that guy if I applied and went for the interview. But you didn't, and that's why you didn't get the job. I could beat you all in chess, but I don't feel like playing. I'm the best eSports player in the world, but I don't want to waste my time having a match against you. It's not her job to cover for Sony. Sony isn't even complaining about not being at E3. Why the hell does she feel like she needs to cover for them as if they didn't lose.

What kind stupid [expletive] commentary is that.

She should have stopped at, Sony didn't have much to announce, so they didn't and compensated another way. MS failed to capitalize on a massive opportunity that I'm sure they won't get another chance to; a sad ending to what should have been a complete success story for them. End of story.

Explain to me how MS was suppose to knock it out the park?

Ultimately, I think most people are disappointed with MS because they chose to reveal info regarding the next console but wouldn’t delve into specs, which is understandable.

But while doing so made for a so called lackluster conference, any momentum built from a full reveal or major revelations would of been sabotaged the moment Sony started to reveal its own major details. It has already happened. All the rumors about AMD using 2/3 rds of its engineering staff on Navi built for Sony literally died on Sunday. Analogy wise, a Sony’s SSD solution that allowed for seamless loading went from being an exclusive first party TLOU2 to a third party multiplat once MS revealed a similar solution.

It would of been far easier for Sony to control the narrative going forward if MS would of spilled the beans on Scarlet. The most important e3 is in 2020 not 2019.

LOL

I get it. Sony is like the girl in a long sleeve sweater with a full length dress who will only show you her ankles. While MS teased you with a reveal but only showed you a little leg and some butt crack while the whole time you wanted some nipple and bush action.

MS could of went buck naked for almost everyone’s enjoyment but the moment that timid and shy Sony starts to unfasten her buttons...

Last edited:

Ultimately, I think most people are disappointed with MS because they chose to reveal info regarding the next console but wouldn’t delve into specs, which is understandable.
My general thoughts for improvement
  • Show gameplay - they had time, they kept their conference to 90 minutes, but it was originally rumoured to be 2 hours. I don't see the issue with going the full 2 since there is no other stage as large as MS; there were many CGI trailers but on the show floor people are playing the title! Ninja' Theories game looks actually pretty neat!
  • Gears 5 - that was a poor time to experiment with different marketing techniques. Showcase the single player game being played, or a section of it
  • Halo Infinite - Cool cutscene, but not the right one to show off the power of Scarlett
  • Scarlett Reveal - The only real difference between say Sony's Wired Article and MS Scarlett reveal comes down to the fact that Sony actually demo'd something. It was an opportune time to explain ray traced effects in Halo Infinite and demo them in the cut scene
But while doing so made for a so called lackluster conference, any momentum built from a full reveal or major revelations would of been sabotaged the moment Sony started to reveal its own major details. It has already happened. All the rumors about AMD using 2/3 rds of its engineering staff on Navi built for Sony literally died on Sunday. Analogy wise, a Sony’s SSD solution that allowed for seamless loading went from being an exclusive first party TLOU2 to a third party multiplat once MS revealed a similar solution.

It would of been far easier for Sony to control the narrative going forward if MS would of spilled the beans on Scarlet. The most important e3 is in 2020 not 2019.
I think this is where MS made some announcement mistakes and they have been quietly back tracking. They must have been clued in that Sony was going to launch in 2019, and prepared 2 SKUs for that event. Except they junked their 2019 model and went with a 2020 model, competing directly with Anaconda. The confidence that they had about building the most powerful console choked, as they are no longer sure. Messaging around Lockhart and Anaconda has been terrible, they haven't been able to control the messaging around 2 SKU launch and it culminated to this point of 'bleh'.

I get it. Sony is like the girl in a long sleeve sweater with a full length dress who will only show you her ankles. While MS teased you with a reveal but only showed you a little leg and some butt crack while the whole time you wanted some nipple and bush action.

MS could of went buck naked for almost everyone’s enjoyment but the moment that timid and shy Sony started to unfastens her buttons...
Not the analogy I would use but, I would say that despite MS' best efforts that would never sway some folks here. There are diehards and diehards tend to be the loudest of the group and the quickest to hand wave anything of relevance.

For the record, I think MS missed the mark; and given what they've learned with Scorpio and how far they've come with their messaging since then; that's unfortunate to see them choke here.
edit: Where was this? This was way better than Kait looking around at bobble heads.

But they won't get a second chance with this one, with the next generation starting soon, Sony will be going hard at E3 again.

Last edited:
There is some sort of persistent misunderstanding about the fact that E3 isn't the only place to talk about your products and games. Seems to be the point of her piece.

If NPD shows no reversal for MS for the rest of the year after "going all out" at E3, it validates sony's strategy of using other means to maintain their lead for the remaining 8 months until the next gen is truly unveiled.

If NPD shows no reversal for MS for the rest of the year after "going all out" at E3, it validates sony's strategy of using other means to maintain their lead for the remaining 8 months until the next gen is truly unveiled.
NPD won't show any reversal. Let's be real here. They just moved their entire console strategy into PC and soon to streaming - thus less console purchases. All their games are going onto gamepass - thus less game purchases. NPD numbers won't do a great job at capturing what MS is aiming for now.

There is some sort of persistent misunderstanding about the fact that E3 isn't the only place to talk about your products and games. Seems to be the point of her piece.
There's no misunderstanding. She wouldn't be able to take this stance if MS killed it. It was a calculated risk by Sony to skip this E3 because they didn't have enough to show and it could save their pocket books by compensating through other means. They had to bank on the fact that MS would fail at seizing this opportunity.

MS could of went buck naked for almost everyone’s enjoyment but the moment that timid and shy Sony started to unfastens her buttons...

giphy.gif

NPD won't show any reversal. Let's be real here. They just moved their entire console strategy into PC and soon to streaming - thus less console purchases. All their games are going onto gamepass - thus less game purchases. NPD numbers won't do a great job at capturing what MS is aiming for now.

There's no misunderstanding. She wouldn't be able to take this stance if MS killed it. It was a calculated risk by Sony to skip this E3 because they didn't have enough to show and it could save their pocket books by compensating through other means. They had to bank on the fact that MS would fail at seizing this opportunity.

What opportunity? The next to last e3 during a gen is literally the least important e3 during a generation. A stellar e3 at this junction isn’t going to turn around the fortune of your current gen and by the time the e3 before product launch comes around this e3 will be mostly forgotten.

There is nothing MS could of done during e3 2012 that would of changed the Xbox one’s fortune if Sony would of sat that e3 out. Xbox one specs and games reveal during e3 2012 would of just forced MS to rely on rehashing most of their 2012 e3 for 2013. What is the benefit of doing so?

MS gave us a taste of next gen while mostly focusing on titles and products due this year or in early 2020.

What Sony did was the equivalent of slowing up at the end of a race it was handily winning while MS chose to finish up a lost race as best it could.

Last edited:
MS couldn't do any better at this point in time, they can't show any scarlett game yet or specs, any AAA current gen games are already known, any crossgen need to be unveiled at the same time to get the best unveiling of the next gen games. Specs can't be unveiled without showing the whole package and how games will look. Sony knew it. That's why they gave the less critical info in an interview which caused MS to simply have a me-too unveiling at E3.

It's really an anomaly, they've consistently gone 25 years straight or something, and this skipped 2019, but didn't say they were pulling out for good and using their own state of play and PSX as their only avenues.

It's not anonymous, it's a pattern. Over the last 2-3 years Sony have been winding back their participation in non-trade public-facing events. It used to do there would be a big event along with a conference at GamesCom (Europe) and TGS (Asia) but that's also a thing of the past. Now Sony are out of E3.

So the expectation is that they should return. I mean, I don't think I'm crazy in taking that position.

You are setting yourself up for disappointment. Now it could be Sony change tact in future, but this is not something that just happened last/this year, this is something Sony have been building towards for a few years. Look wider than just what is going on in North America.

LOL

That's probably the best gaming erotica I've ever read.

I think if there were demos we could down load (even if only for limited time) and lots of trailers streaming upcoming titles could make for a better way for platform holders to engage the gaming community. E3 is kind of a waste considering how many people could be participating if the shows were online.

I think Sony did not participate because they are going to launch really soon (maybe few months) but probably with not huge quantities... and they dont want to kill sales of ps4 for next months... Maybe they will announce in mid September and start to sale in November.

Where is this talk of Sony launching this year coming from? Everything I’ve heard Sony say is next year launch. Even their dev kits are just starting to ship.
If they were ready to launch this year then surely they would be shouting from the rooftops with a big E3 reveal.
I just can’t see a 2019 PlayStation release.

LOL

The most graphic analogy of ms vs xbox ever?

As of right now?
I guess it comes down to
1.0 library --> anything you own on your library can be streamed to your mobile devices anywhere.
1.1 If you own your console you can stream your library anywhere for free, no fees
2.0 if you don't own the console whatever library you own or /gamepass/ can be streamed to any mobile device.

Those items + _any device_ is probably the known differentiators for now. I do not believe that Sony can stream their whole catalog of titles on PSNow to any device of their choosing.

Thanks for answering :)

Regarding 1.0 & 1.1 - that's what you can do with PS4 (and could do with PS3), I don't think it's all mobile devices but I'm fairly certain the options have expanded. It's called Remote Play.
Regarding 2.0 - that's a cool feature, but at what cost? Seems like PSNow but with games you own rather than those available on the service (both had pros and cons I guess).

Thanks for answering :)

Regarding 1.0 & 1.1 - that's what you can do with PS4 (and could do with PS3), I don't think it's all mobile devices but I'm fairly certain the options have expanded. It's called Remote Play.
Regarding 2.0 - that's a cool feature, but at what cost? Seems like PSNow but with games you own rather than those available on the service (both had pros and cons I guess).
We will need to wait to see how it performs overall.
If streaming + Gamepass is a good competitive price, then it’s a leg up at the moment since all first party titles launch on game pass.

What opportunity? The next to last e3 during a gen is literally the least important e3 during a generation. A stellar e3 at this junction isn’t going to turn around the fortune of your current gen and by the time the e3 before product launch comes around this e3 will be mostly forgotten.
you’ve got sound reasoning in your post. The opportunity for MS lies in their value proposition to their customers, they didn’t need to keep their cards so close to chest.

This E3 was the official divergence away from Xbox. They are now entering markets that are device agnostic. It didn’t need to be entirely about what XBN can do, it’s about their games and services now. If they really believe in the idea that they no longer care how many console they sell then the focal point needed to be back on the games and services.

They played the games too tight to chest to not give away details on their console. They spent their time on the wrong items and mainly CG trailers. They needed to sell Gears 5 and Halo infinite to the PC crowd; to the streaming crowd. They needed to sell
The effort around the new store front. They needed to sell the seamless experience between PC and Xbox and Mobile which google demonstrated well with Stadia.

Missed opportunities imo.

Back