Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was the wavelength I got when MS pulled a complete Me - Too moment with only really discussing SSD.

E3 had huge potential for announcement and discussion and this is what they ended up with. A clear withdrawal from the confidence they had with Scorpio; cough likely because the 4pro specs leaked earlier and then they went all in on how they marketed it. So that confidence isn’t there and they are proceeding hesitantly.

Cheeky.

I think the argument lends credence that it appears both companies are still posturing for hardware position and at the very least it’s a sign that not everything yet is solidified.
Stands to reason, when either company knew they was the performance leader they touted it as expected.

It's easy to think it's just MS because they was last to say it due to 1X.

After the show and the 12 GDDR chip layout I believe the handwritten pages describes their plan. It gives them maximum flexibility to counter anything Sony might do in relation to GPU performance.

2x40CU chiplets gives the rumoured 80CU devkit. Depending on final TDP/Yield reasons late 2020 they can adjust the CUs/Clocks into the optimal range with 2x32/28/24CU. Spreading the hotspots over a larger area might also be an advantage.

AMD's RX5700/Navi normal/low-end products are 40CU/36CU so it's not the rumoured 8CU step.

250mm^2 * 2, plus a very beefy uncore, plus the cpu
why not add some hbm3 while you are at it

Yeah that hand written BS was totally off the mark and the render clearly states that they are using a single chip SOC, basically the only actual info that was given to us by MS, but yep sure let's put 5 chips in there haha.

I wouldn't rule this out.
Wouldn't rule what out? I don't understand. :-?

It's just as simple to say if it was a single console they could've just said that when pressed.
They can't say they only have a single console if they have two in the works. But they dfon't want to say, "we have another console coming later" as that takes away from the message of a next-gen console. Leaving only one option, to say, "this is the console we are releasing."

Just as easy to believe they only want to talk about Anaconda at the moment.
You find it as easy to believe that the specs of Scarlett are the high end machine as the specs of Scarlett are the low end machine?? I certainly don't. A more powerful machine would cost loads and would fly in the face of the Anaconda/Lockhart rumours about a low-end machine for streaming.

Wouldn't rule what out? I don't understand. :-?
I wouldn't rule out your view. I can see them also having a single console.
They can't say they only have a single console if they have two in the works. But they dfon't want to say, "we have another console coming later" as that takes away from the message of a next-gen console. Leaving only one option, to say, "this is the console we are releasing."
I wouldn't see the streaming only device as a console. More like an accessory.
Same way Stadia chromecast adapter isn't a console. So be pretty easy for Booty to have said Scarlett is single console.
You find it as easy to believe that the specs of Scarlett are the high end machine as the specs of Scarlett are the low end machine?? I certainly don't. A more powerful machine would cost loads and would fly in the face of the Anaconda/Lockhart rumours about a low-end machine for streaming.
No I find it easy to believe they would only talk about Anaconda the high end Scarlett console right now.
I didn't expect or think they would talk about Lockhart at all.
Its just that the way they talked on stage muddied the waters, then eurogamer article once again showed they refused to clarify that Scarlett is a single console.

They could've said Scarlett is single console, streaming device wouldn't be a Scarlett console, just go by another code name.
But if Scarlett is still a range of devices, then it could have Lockhart, and even streaming device also. Hence dancing around it.

Scarlett is the physical next Xbox, streaming service will likely be a cheaper option for people concerned about price.

With a gamer pass the streaming option is a very good value btw, I just don't think investing R&D into a special box makes much sense.

MS can allocate resources into lowering latency and let consumers bring their own box: 360, XBOX one, tablets and so on.

My baseless speculation for the day is that next years consoles will be on 7nm EUV mainly due to the improved power consumption.

is the uncore the i/o die on the ryzen chiplets?
The definition is starting to be fuzzy, but yes
In that configuration it would be something more "smarter" than io/cache management, having to coordinate the two gpus.

My baseless speculation for the day is that next years consoles will be on 7nm EUV mainly due to the improved power consumption.
I know it's in jest, but I was curious since I didn't actually know. :p

"7nm+ will feature 1.2x times logic density and a trade-off between 10% speed increase or 15% power efficiency over its predecessor, 7nm."
https://wccftech.com/tsmc-7nm-proces-sram-details/

Heh https://semiwiki.com/semiconductor/samsung-foundry/8157-tsmc-and-samsung-5nm-comparison/
img_5cd106e96a81a.jpg

oof.
img_5cd106eaac793.jpg

Suppose it'll be a while before we see a slim arrangement or even a tangible mid-gen (unless that ends up being an N.V. Titanic *cough*)

Last edited:
250mm^2 * 2, plus a very beefy uncore, plus the cpu
why not add some hbm3 while you are at it

So why would they need a 384Bit GDDR6 memory system for a lower clocked AMD5700 variant then? Just to get 24G and the CPU bandwidth requirements? Neither could they ever be sure to have the most powerful console which is apparently their goal. It would be a pretty locked design betting that their CU/TDP choice is the right one with no room for adjustments.

After the show and the 12 GDDR chip layout I believe the handwritten pages describes their plan. It gives them maximum flexibility to counter anything Sony might do in relation to GPU performance.

This is impressive work by Microsoft having numerous design and fabrication plans with product specification being entirely dictated by their competitor. :nope: Good work by Sony as well for being able to make Microsoft dance like a puppet. :nope:

You surely don't really believe this?

If *their* plan is to have the fastest console then they obviously have to be flexible enough to adjust to their competitor's hardware which they can't really with a fixed 5700 variant. There they can only hope their TDP/CU choice was the right one, 2 years before release. We've seen how badly they miscalculated 2013.

Huh? I thought somebody here counted 12. 10 obviously makes this whole speculation pointless.
12 was based on the wrong image, it was an xb1x
10 is assuming the segment we can't see is symmetrical. 3+4+3
8 is assuming a 3+5 or 3+4+1 configuration, both can also fit on that image

12 is very difficult to fit on what we see, but not impossible.

12 was based on the wrong image, it was an xb1x
10 is assuming the segment we can't see is symmetrical. 3+4+3
8 is assuming a 3+5 or 3+4+1 configuration, both can also fit on that image

12 is very difficult to fit on what we see, but not impossible.

It's clearly symmetrical in the shot.

3 on each side, definitely 4 in the front.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back