GART: Games and Applications using RayTracing

Status
Not open for further replies.
A little off-topic, but they should try to use a higher value for the water reflection refresh update. The low value is a little distracting, since it feels like the water is covered by some kind of film when you move through it.

Looks like video compression artifacts to me. I can see them all over the place. The bitrate leaves something to be desired.

Grimmstar is also getting RTX support.

GI is really early in UE, so it should be getting quite bit better before release.

That's pretty spectacular. Granted, there's room for improvement in the pure rasterized version (adding in a bit of fixed ambient would help), but the amount of dynamic geometry in what we see makes baking ineffective.

A new RTX indie game called Stay In The Light will be released. The game requires a DXR capable GPU to work.

Stay in the Light uses ray tracing as part of the core gameplay, not just for eye-candy.

It’s used for shadows, a critical component for setting the mode in any horror scenario.

It’s also used for reflections, usually from one of the critical tools you have to aid your survival, the mirror. The mirror reflects things behind you with pixel-perfect accuracy. So you can keep an eye out for Him as you make your way through the dungeon.
https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2019/06/03/nvidia-rtx-indie-spotlight-gaming/

Watch_Dogs Legion to incorporate NVIDIA RTX ..

Now, we’re partnering once again, to bring DXR real-time ray tracing to the newly-announced Watch Dogs®: Legion, which is set in a photorealistic near-future London.

“Ubisoft goes to painstaking lengths to recreate the cities featured in their games, and ray tracing will add a whole depth to the new look and feel of the London-based Watch Dogs: Legion,” said Matt Wuebbling, head of GeForce marketing at NVIDIA. “NVIDIA’s history of helping with Watch Dogs goes back to the beginning of the franchise, and we are ready to wow PC gamers once again with ray tracing in Watch Dogs: Legion.”

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/watch-dogs-legion-nvidia-partnership-ray-tracing/

Curious if any of these RTX implementations are tracing into parallax map style materials that have a height/offset map component. Or maybe they could even pre-calculate such a height map from normal maps and trace against that.

Curious if any of these RTX implementations are tracing into parallax map style materials that have a height/offset map component. Or maybe they could even pre-calculate such a height map from normal maps and trace against that.
This is a cool question - I think it is impossible though if I understand how DXR VKRT works? The latter thing you say makes the most snese as the best possibility.

Pretty sure you can write custom intersection routines in DXR, so basically you could do something like that.
In this case it would not be RT core accelerated and possibly you would have to have bounding volume for whatever you trace against.

Making traditional objects and trace them is most likely the easiest choice.

That first screenshot doesn’t look like RTX is on. That floor is a (not very good) cube map, evident from the fact that the reflection isn’t actually working the way it should with RTX.

Are they using RTX for reflections or something else? From the 2nd pic it looks like they are.

“Ray tracing allows us to realistically portray how light behaves in a crowded urban environment,” said Adam Badowski, Head of Studio, CD PROJEKT RED. “Thanks to this technology, we can add another layer of depth and verticality to the already impressive megacity the game takes place in.”

Are they using RTX for reflections or something else? From the 2nd pic it looks like they are.

“Ray tracing allows us to realistically portray how light behaves in a crowded urban environment,” said Adam Badowski, Head of Studio, CD PROJEKT RED. “Thanks to this technology, we can add another layer of depth and verticality to the already impressive megacity the game takes place in.”

That’s what was confusing. The second screen looks like proper reflections, but the first one is definitely a cube map.

Glad to see that I wasn't hallucinating. As a matter of fact I'm betting that those are literally regular Cyberpunk 2077 screenshots as they look 110% identical to all other screenshots released and marketing just couldn't get assed about it and didn't bother sourcing/taking screenshots of the RTX build which is "understandable" given that 99% of the general public is clueless or Cyberpunk's RTX implementation is the biggest nothing burger ever..

Cyberpunk's RTX implementation is the biggest nothing burger ever..
Yeah to put if out there - it definitely is not the case. And I think PCGN has some slightly incorrect information / wording there?

Also, as just a guess if those screenshots indeed have any RT effects on in them - they could be less obvious (RTAO or RT shadows) or be RT specular reflections that are limited to ultra reflefctive surfaces (like RT reflections on Low in battlefield 5), so you would only see them well in things like puddles, but not in the duller metals are plastics.

The fact that real-time RTX utilization ends up being this scattershot and ambiguous strikes me as a pretty good sign that it should be put on the back-burner until if/when we're ready for it being viable for a real-time unified GI algorithm. I would argue that historically the #1 calling card of ray tracing implementations is the elegance and uniformity of it being applied to the scene -- everything that should be lit, is lit, and all it takes to recognize it's not ray tracing is a single bad shadow or reflection. In the context of RTX (now and for at least the next few generations GPUs), it's going to be a dog and pony show of bogus comparisons between badly lit, SSAO-free, SSR-free scenes and ad hoc application of ray traced alternatives that run at a fraction of the FPS. That's not to say that the hardware accelerated RT isn't valuable and welcome for things like offline rendering, light baking for game development, and further research/hobbyist projects, but in those cases every little bit helps and there's zero ambiguity about what it's offering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back