The Official, Long Awaited, TV Shows Thread

I just finished Ray Donovan so onto Chernobyl next since you're all raving about it.

Damn it! I remembered that if I get more than two pushy recommendations I usually jump on it.

Just got finished with the first episode and DAMN! I almost turned it off during the first 5 minutes, really glad I didn't.

One question as I head out to do pool maintenance before I fall in to a binge-o-no-return so my wife doesn't get mad at me, how close is this to the actual events? I mean, I REMEMBER Chernobyl. I was about 20 at the time and it was weird how it unfolded but I wasn't following the news as close at the time and I don't want to spoil the series by checking in advance if that makes any sense. LOL

Gripping stuff, horrifying in ways I couldn't even imagine. Also I'm reminded of a LOT of shooters whenever they show Prypiat. :p

Damn it! I remembered that if I get more than two pushy recommendations I usually jump on it.

Just got finished with the first episode and DAMN! I almost turned it off during the first 5 minutes, really glad I didn't.

One question as I head out to do pool maintenance before I fall in to a binge-o-no-return so my wife doesn't get mad at me, how close is this to the actual events? I mean, I REMEMBER Chernobyl. I was about 20 at the time and it was weird how it unfolded but I wasn't following the news as close at the time and I don't want to spoil the series by checking in advance if that makes any sense. LOL

Gripping stuff, horrifying in ways I couldn't even imagine. Also I'm reminded of a LOT of shooters whenever they show Prypiat. :p
They have tried to stay true to events. I will say the major stuff is mostly true as far as one can know, but there are some liberties taken which don't matter that much imho. Listen to the podcast I linked to earlier and they go through all that stuff.

As the writer said, if there were competing depictions of events, they went for the less dramatic one.

They have tried to stay true to events. I will say the major stuff is mostly true as far as one can know, but there are some liberties taken which don't matter that much imho. Listen to the podcast I linked to earlier and they go through all that stuff.
Heli crash happened much, much later, but otherwise, yeah.
Also very-very authentic.

I'm in the midst of finishing Season 4 of Billions. It's still a good show all around, but this season seemed to focus on more of a slow play than others. It was a bit predictable if you consider how ruthless the main characters genuinely are, so you're always looking for the sub-text and alternate plays. The payoff is still worth the ride.

I'm in the midst of finishing Season 4 of Billions. It's still a good show all around, but this season seemed to focus on more of a slow play than others. It was a bit predictable if you consider how ruthless the main characters genuinely are, so you're always looking for the sub-text and alternate plays. The payoff is still worth the ride.
I agree but don't agree at the same time. The big thing is a season-long play, but the small stuff is bish, bash, bosh. The tempo is much higher this season.

Last edited:
I agree but don't agree at the same time. The big thing is a season long play, but the small stuff is bish, bash, bosh. The tempo is much higher this season.

I can see that, and its understandable. Maybe it's the waiting a week between episodes that makes it seem like it's slower to me. I'm sure if I were to watch the episodes 3 to 4 at a time, the pacing would feel entirely different.

I can see that, and its understandable. Maybe it's the waiting a week between episodes that makes it seem like it's slower to me. I'm sure if I were to watch the episodes 3 to 4 at a time, the pacing would feel entirely different.
I blame Netflix!

Chernobyl was fantastic, and horrifying. It reminded me of Threads in a way. Having never really read about it much other than when I was playing the Stalker games, it's just insane what happened and what could have happened.

Can we have a bit or context with the video so we can decide whether it's worth clicking and watching?

It's a video about certain details of the show regarding nuclear power and power plants that are supposedly pure fabrication. In the case of the 2-4 Megaton explosion by a factor of no less than 1.000.000.
I have no HBO, so I haven't seen the show myself. Like most of Thunderfoot's Busted videos I still found it really interesting.

Back