Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe the 40x is inflated, maybe it's not.
Maybe was just one upping Sony, maybe not.
It's as likely one is theoretical and the other is attained in real-world and both provide relatively the same experience in the end.

Definitely. It'd just be nice if they could distance themselves from the one-upmanship and talk more about vision and plans without the need to through competitive numbers around.

No where do I see MS or Sony actually addressing the other's product. It's only online-warriors who are trying to do the one-upmanship.

Maybe. I think the 40x figure is definitely driven by one-upmanship though and they wouldn't have mentioned it if Cerny hadn't spoken of PS5's storage, instead being content to talk about SSD and instant loading without any speed-up figure. I'll be proven wrong when Scarlet releases and it is loading 40x faster!

Can we read into the "we using the SSD as virtualized RAM"? The way I see it is that it means they going with a scratch pad type setup and will also have a mechanical HDD for capacity.

I read that as "don't be disappointed with less RAM than expected by internet rumors, we don't need it and have ways around that limitation"
Is this a Radeon SSG factor that we can use to leverage the claim about SSD as virtualram?

Maybe it's used for hibernation files and instant resume points of multiple games to allow for instant resuming beyond just the last game?

Maybe it's used for hibernation files and instant resume points of multiple games to allow for instant resuming beyond just the last game?
That may change the write endurance requirements. If you install once and only read after that, you can get away with QLC.

I read that as "don't be disappointed with less RAM than expected by internet rumors, we don't need it and have ways around that limitation"

I think that's exactly it. It's where I expected this gen of consoles to go since HBCC was revealed to be a part of Vega. And I don't just think it just makes up for having less fast memory. I think it is much better than having a relatively limited amount of additional fast RAM.

i guess probably 40x theoretical. I mean, even at 50% of the claim, you're then back to PS5 levels. So any % over 50% i guess would be better, I mean if you are speaking empirically, even if they managed 40x faster loading, the difference between what PS5 and Nextbox will still be miniscule. 2seconds vs 1seconds etc.

And whenever ray tracing is involved; it's easy for the performance differentials to amp up quickly.
The maximum theoretical speed given in the Sony patent is 16MB/s, so about 160x faster.

You see what it means ? theoretical numbers mean not much and you certainly can't compare them with real numbers. Only real tests will tell us which one is faster.

The maximum theoretical speed given in the Sony patent is 16MB/s, so about 160x faster.

You see what it means ? theoretical numbers mean not much and you certainly can't compare them with real numbers. Only real tests will tell us which one is faster.
i guess it depends on what they are measuring then.

I very much hope for a multi-tiered 'caching' system that by default is managed automatically and presented as a unified pool to devs but with multiple layers of abstraction available for further optimisation. That way it can please everyone from your one person devs to your Naughty Dogs..

There are two mothboards!

Blue one have 1GB GDDR6 chips

Green one have 12 chips similar with Xbox one x.

Please check the scarlett video!!

In the DF video about what to expect from E3, Richard Leadbetter did say the from what he has heard, there are two ways to use the ssd on scarlett; as a simple high level storage device and a low level access. Presumably this is what the Virtual RAM is referring to. Also someone mentioned HBCC above. I believe that, or a refinement of it is how it will be implemented.

As for the 40x stuff, I just think they are stating things as they are which is that its around 40x the current hdd speed on current gen. I don't see it as a remark on what Sony said.

No. The green one is an xb1x.
I know it's a CG render, but compare to the Navi PCB. The GDDR chips are well beyond the edges of this die. You would think they wouldn't be on the diagonals like that if there were only 8 chips. The very rectangular looking die screams needing a lot of perimeter space for a wide memory bus too. I keep going back and forth on what it looks like.

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9GL1gvODM1MTk3L29yaWdpbmFsL0FNRC1CMTgyLU5hdmktMi5qcGc=

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back