Sony, No 2019 E3 Showing

Well...Playstation State of Play was underwhelming.
It's as good as not happening.

Now imagine that content spread over 90 minutes and is likely why Sony decided to skip E3. The question is, having now pulled out for 2019, will they ever return? I think... :nope:

Speaking as somebody who has worked on a lot of projects in the aerospace sector, it is immensely frustrating working to a PR timetable. You're often holding things back, or not having them ready in time.

Last edited by a moderator:
They would be well positioned to have a lot of content to show for 2020 however.
I didn't watch state of play, but not seeing any pushes for Ghost, DS, and TLOU2 is worrying me that they are also arriving in 2020 at the earliest. They'll have more time later this year if it's coming, these titles already have a lot of hype behind them.

They would be well positioned to have a lot of content to show for 2020 however.
I didn't watch state of play, but not seeing any pushes for Ghost, DS, and TLOU2 is worrying me that they are also arriving in 2020 at the earliest. They'll have more time later this year if it's coming, these titles already have a lot of hype behind them.
If you try and watch it you will wonder if it even happened. It was just a video reel of uninteresting games.

If you try and watch it you will wonder if it even happened. It was just a video reel of uninteresting games.
Had a gander. Probably not the way they want to open their very first state of play.

The unfortunate thing comes down to expectations management for them. Absence from E3 and PSX this year, I could see why people would put a lot of stock into this and come out dissatisfied.

I miss the days when the Big Three are all unveiling their next gen consoles at the same E3, such tension, such hype and such drama. Right now I just hope whatever Sony is planning they better make it the most aw-inspiring and rewarding event in the history of Playstation gaming.
Or, just tell us you have a 12 TF+ PS5 and all will be forgiven.

I miss the days when the Big Three are all unveiling their next gen consoles at the same E3, such tension, such hype and such drama. Right now I just hope whatever Sony is planning they better make it the most aw-inspiring and rewarding event in the history of Playstation gaming.

It's probably a sign of getting old but Sony haven't unveiled hardware at E3 since PS3 in 2005, that was fourteen years ago! :runaway: Every single other console had it's own event and appeared at E3 later.

I genuinely expect a blow-for-blow repeat of PS4's reveal, we'll get industry scuttlebutt until late January 2020 when Sony will give everybody a few weeks notice of a February event where they will unveil PS5 officially. You probably won't see a box or a price which they'll keep for E3 2020 where they will make re-appearance. But this time they can't rely on Microsoft selling PlayStation for them. :nope:

We’re going from ShitCPU+4TF (or 1.8TF for base owners) to something YUGE and with no loading times . We will be very pleased whatever they do in terms of max TF.

After watching a few press impressions and podcasts, there's a strong feeling MS made the wrong decision going to E3. Mostly third parties trailers and not giving out any more details about scarlet than sony did about ps5.

As far as publicity events go, if the intention was to convince non-xbox gamers to consider their platform, they made things worse.

It's like sony just have to sit back and wait for the right time to unveil the next gen, and in the mean time give release dates for their highly anticipated first parties. The last stretch is basically finishing the games and selling them.

After watching a few press impressions and podcasts, there's a strong feeling MS made the wrong decision going to E3. Mostly third parties trailers and not giving out any more details about scarlet than sony did about ps5.

Saying nothing would likely have been worse. Sony have a larger user base, more momentum and still some exclusive AAA games targeting this generation's consoles which is looking to transition in around 17 months time. Sony/Cerny did the terrible Wired interview and Microsoft need to say something even if ti was nothing more than "yes, we're doing that too".

Both are clearly using what is fundamentally the same technology and this is good for everybody. A splintering of the market or any risk to a situation that leads to less competition would be bad for everybody. Any market with a lack of competition is bad.

But I can't help feel overall this is still bad. Even if folks really don't play old games, introducing that psychological mental/rationale friction to easily jump from PlayStation to Xbox or Xbox to PlayStation will entrench users further into their existing consoles. Remember that swing from PS2 to 360 when Sony screwed the pooch with PS3? That was GOOD. Remember that swing from 360 to PS4 when Microsoft screwed the pooch with Xbox One? That was also GOOD. When you make it harder to switch either way by introducing consequences of not having access to your previously bought games? I genuinely feel that's bad in the long term.

Last edited by a moderator:
For me the Microsoft conference did a good job selling game pass. I still don't understand how there wasn't a gameplay blowout for Gears though.

As far as publicity events go, if the intention was to convince non-xbox gamers to consider their platform, they made things worse.
How'd they make it worse?

The only thing for me that makes it 'worse', although it really just means the needle not moving, was the EG interview where Matt Booty was asked what sets Scarlett apart from PS5 and he listed a bunch of features and services that PS5 has. Any potential user would read that and think, "may as swell stick with what I know," I expect. There was no USP to drive migration.

How'd they make it worse?

The only thing for me that makes it 'worse', although it really just means the needle not moving, was the EG interview where Matt Booty was asked what sets Scarlett apart from PS5 and he listed a bunch of features and services that PS5 has. Any potential user would read that and think, "may as swell stick with what I know," I expect. There was no USP to drive migration.
Ok I'm rethinking this. They didn't exactly make anything worse about next gen, it's the status quo. For games and their current platform, the hype about their studio purchases, the hype about using this E3 to "go all out" and it's going to be the biggest E3 ever (from spencer), the mood before E3 was higher and it fell down like a brick because they had nothing to support that hype. They just launched a new sku for cost reduction which isn't working (looking at polls, I wonder if npd will show anything moving), and they are launching xcloud to compete against psnow and sativa, the crowd was crickets chirping for xcloud.

There were leaks of MS focussing on the power crown (insiders), so when asked to qualify their 4x xb1x statement, the answer was "we are now in a world where speed is starting not to matter" (booty). There is now dissonance (not thier fault) between online hype and their plans. In some way I was thinking the mistery was more effective, but now I see bluffing can't work if you will have to show your hand eventually anyway. However the hype about E3 was their own making. Overhyping that much is making gamers stop believing them. It's death be a thousand cuts.

My reaction was about comparing pre-E3 and post-E3 podcasts from the same journalists. The mood was crushed and PR hype is now going to be disbelieved even more in the future for MS. It is not the case for Sony who continue their subdued PR and interviews. Not going to E3, or have separate event, until they can have enough to show. (which was their explanation)

Last edited:
Saying nothing would likely have been worse. Sony have a larger user base, more momentum and still some exclusive AAA games targeting this generation's consoles which is looking to transition in around 17 months time. Sony/Cerny did the terrible Wired interview and Microsoft need to say something even if ti was nothing more than "yes, we're doing that too".

Both are clearly using what is fundamentally the same technology and this is good for everybody. A splintering of the market or any risk to a situation that leads to less competition would be bad for everybody. Any market with a lack of competition is bad.

But I can't help feel overall this is still bad. Even if folks really don't play old games, introducing that psychological mental/rationale friction to easily jump from PlayStation to Xbox or Xbox to PlayStation will entrench users further into their existing consoles. Remember that swing from PS2 to 360 when Sony screwed the pooch with PS3? That was GOOD. Remember that swing from 360 to PS4 when Microsoft screwed the pooch with Xbox One? That was also GOOD. When you make it harder to switch either way by introducing consequences of not having access to your previously bought games? I genuinely feel that's bad in the long term.

That said, the vendor lock-in may not be as bad as some of us imagine.

I'm thinking of a scenario where one console is demonstrably better such that the owner of another console wants to switch.

Having titles be playable across "generations" kind of makes it easier to just own both consoles. You can leapfrog console generations if you wanted to while maintaining compatibility with a long history of games.

Even better if it's a rolling generations type of thing. You may not be able to play the games in the best quality on the platform you just left, but you'll still be able to play the games. Consumers win in this situation and for the console makers, it minimizes the effect of a consumer leaving your platform. They'll still be buying your exclusives, so you'll still be getting something from them and they are still engaged with your platform to some extent.

Well I guess in that sense they are never really leaving your platform, they are just temporarily spending less on that platform than before.

Regards,
SB

It's like sony just have to sit back and wait for the right time to unveil the next gen, and in the mean time give release dates for their highly anticipated first parties. The last stretch is basically finishing the games and selling them.

Sony played MS well;

No E3, but what we will do is mention our super fast SSD loading tech, RT, 8K and Zen 2 all prior to E3 so we steal their thunder and it's clear we'll have all the nice new features of next gen.

TBH there's no way MS could top that this early.

Sony played MS well;

No E3, but what we will do is mention our super fast SSD loading tech, RT, 8K and Zen 2 all prior to E3 so we steal their thunder and it's clear we'll have all the nice new features of next gen.

TBH there's no way MS could top that this early.

You must admit, it was a bit genius. Saving all that $$$ by not having to put on a huge show at e3, and still getting all the coverage they needed. Which is something that has been discussed here at length - do these guys even have to do e3 anymore?

You know if they did show up this E3 I would very much still enjoyed it. Updated gameplay (really emphasizing on that) and trailers on Ghost, Tlou 2, Death Stranding, FF VII R along would steal the show, put on a small teaser for PS5 and everybody faint in sheer joy.

Back