The Annual E3 Microsoft press conference thread, 2019 edition

Because the last thing MS needs to do is go, “We made the most powerful console ever!!!” Only to have Sony walk into the room and say, “No you didn’t!!!”

No one wants to make a huge marketing blunder by making a declaration based around dev rumors about a competitor’s product that still a year and half from launch.

MS doesn’t want to start the next gen being the laughing stock of the console world especially after last gen where they were looked at as being out of touch with what console gamers wanted.

Last edited:
Imagine what that means for us here? Pretty much a year of speculating and rumours to entertain our bored minds.

Isn't that great?

Yeah I don't think any company has ever announced a next gen console over a year in advance like this. So we're in uncharted territory.

Even if they're capable of RT, how common will it be, at least at launch?

4K60 HDR will be enough for the developers to tout.

Now, are today's UHD HDR TVs capable of 4K60 or do they need HDMI 2.1?
Even if it's RT on every title, it would be a 1080p fest if not lower, no way it's running 1440p or 4k High - Ultra settings with RT on. This is why I'm still very skeptical with the inclusion.

Even if they're capable of RT, how common will it be, at least at launch?

4K60 HDR will be enough for the developers to tout.

Now, are today's UHD HDR TVs capable of 4K60 or do they need HDMI 2.1?

4K60 is fine on current 4K TVs with HDMI 2.0a or b (can’t remember). You only need HDMI 2.1 for higher res and higher frame rates than that, so either 8k or higher than 60Hz. Or VRR.

Could've used flight simulator to give impression of what Scarlett is.
Say we've created a future plane that flys at mack x, this is how it performs on 1X 1080p60 , this is on Scarlett 4k60.
Traveling low, but skipping all over the place on 1X, then say we'll leave it up to DF to run it in slow mo to show it actually also has better graphics.

This is something that could be done even on pre alpha kits most probably.

I don't think anyone (well most) expected actual specs, maybe CPU core count, people only hoped on the of chance to get more, not necessarily expecting it.

Xcloud is in beta this year, I was worried they was going to focus on it too much. Turns out, not enough for me, did we see or learn anything new?

Don't know what gears was all about, got more out of it last E3, and that ships in couple months.
Halo.... Oh well....

Sure they can go into more details on inside Xbox, or give exclusive to ign, but could've shown something of substance on their own big conference.

Well, not that I think all developers will follow along, but at least it looks like MS is trying to position the console with 4k/60 as the baseline performance level for the console with 4k/120 and 8k/6030 as options.

I'd be willing to bet that most games will be scalable down to 1080-1440p at 30 or higher on XBO-X and possibly XBO (albeit probably lower than 1080p on XBO if it's supported).

Scalable games man. That's the future of console gaming. Consoles becoming more PC Like. For me that's a good thing. Hopefully that scalability doesn't compromise the plug and play simplistic nature of console gaming, however.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Well, not that I think all developers will follow along, but at least it looks like MS is trying to position the console with 4k/60 as the baseline performance level for the console with 4k/120 and 8k/60 as options.

I'd be willing to bet that most games will be scalable down to 1080-1440p at 30 or higher on XBO-X and possibly XBO (albeit probably lower than 1080p on XBO if it's supported).

Scalable games man. That's the future of console gaming. Consoles becoming more PC Like. For me that's a good thing. Hopefully that scalability doesn't compromise the plug and play simplistic nature of console gaming, however.

Regards,
SB
8K/60fps is going to be an "option" if you want to play Pong but not much else ...a Titan RTX (24GB & 16.3Tflops) can't even achieve this without burning a hole through the ozone layer. This is marketing mumbo-jumbo because Sony claimed 8K support first in the WIRED interview.

8K/60fps is going to be an "option" if you want to play Pong but not much else ...a Titan RTX (24GB & 16.3Tflops) can't even achieve this without burning a hole through the ozone layer. This is marketing mumbo-jumbo because Sony claimed 8K support first in the WIRED interview.

Whoops, I meant to type 8k/30. Need to get coffee in me before I make posts. :p

Regards,
SB

8K/60fps is going to be an "option" if you want to play Pong but not much else ...
The audience for 8k120 games will also be vanishingly small. However, I do like the idea of some huge canvas 8k120 local multiplayer action games. Really simple visuals focussing on the whole level being visible when you step back, but played in the local character space as the action unfolds. Something something. TBH though that's probably more for niche event-based gaming than a console target!

Can you imagine if they never said 8K?
Oh its not as powerful as PS5.
The fact that Sony said 8K is one of the reasons why everyone started to say it's a monster.

1S can technically render games at 4K. None has done greater than 1080p.
Upscaling and outputting to 4K is good enough for 1S, same way upscaling and outputting to 8K will be enough for next gen.

Yes. Sony are guilty of floating that nonsense metric first. I guess it's felt a necessary metric to measure improvement, as every console has always targeted a higher resolution. Except Ps4 which delivered on the 1080p promise of PS3. :p The mid-gen refreshes being 4K machines means, at least to the marketing men, the next machines can't be associated with the same resolution as that prevents them from distancing themselves from the previous generation. Because "it's prettier and better" can't be turned into an easily measurable icon to stick on a box, and we all know how much the marketing men love their many, many tiny little icons.

Don't remember Bluray being confirmed for Scarlett, but it is now...

"Yeah [physical discs are part of our future]," he says.

"We know, because we see it, that more and more players are buying digital. We think the experience in certain instances, specifically if I am away from my console and everything is on my hard-drive with the entitlements are all there, there are some scenarios that are easy. But we know that people still have discs.

"So even when we put out things like the Xbox One S All-Digital edition, we are very clear with the name because I am not trying to confuse anybody, that if you are somebody that has a library of discs, or that's the way you want to acquire the content, then you should buy the Xbox One S, not the Xbox One S All-Digital... which is why we put it in the name, and yes I know it says SAD.

"I want to be very descriptive, because I am not trying to confuse anybody about what the options are. I want to give people choice, and right now physical is a choice that millions of people love."

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...encer-our-next-console-will-have-a-disc-drive

Tommy McClain

Is the crazy cheering and wooping and stuff paid people or is it an American culture thing? I also get a sense of excitement from new tech and gaming related things but I don't go on as if I was at a rugby game.

Is the crazy cheering and wooping and stuff paid people or is it an American culture thing? I also get a sense of excitement from new tech and gaming related things but I don't go on as if I was at a rugby game.

You must be fun at parties.

J/k :) It’s always been like that.

Back