Halo Infinite [Fall 2021] [XO, XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

Frankly the lighting is relatively simple
I am a bit surprised by this statement though; it some ways this demo looked like a typical realtime GI demo where in the demo they are constantly trying to mix different colours and have the surfaces pick them up. I saw a lot of the same thing in this demo, the switch mixing with the lighting, mixing with the ambient blue. Then the constant switching between red/blue/green/and spotlight type lighting. The surfaces all seemed to mix and pick those elements up.

I am a bit surprised by this statement though; it some ways this demo looked like a typical realtime GI demo where in the demo they are constantly trying to mix different colours and have the surfaces pick them up. I saw a lot of the same thing in this demo, the switch mixing with the lighting, mixing with the ambient blue. Then the constant switching between red/blue/green/and spotlight type lighting. The surfaces all seemed to mix and pick those elements up.
It looks good because the lights (and the editing..switching light color is free but looks nice) are well placed etc. I didn't see anything that look like and area light. But technically there's nothing that can't (or hasn't been done already..Alien Isolation for example once you cranck up the AA on PC)

Such a marvel...released on PS3 & 360 too :

https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2015/05/12/high-tech-fear--alien-isolation

Last edited:
They at least had SS reflections, if nothing else. Look at the point when the pilot passes his key-card on the reader, it reflects his hand.

They at least had SS reflections, if nothing else. Look at the point when the pilot passes his key-card on the reader, it reflects his hand.
Good catch on the card reader, didn't even notice that. That card reader might just be the closest proof that it could have been low grade RT reflections.
You *may* see a thumb that shouldn't be rendered I think

Last edited:
So I played it again on my TV at 4k and it looked quite a bit better than on my monitor, I can see the objects are actually pretty high poly, the textures showing up more and the AO isn't too bad either, metal shader does look kinda plastic tho and the lighting seems not as photo realistic as the 2018 trailer. Man they could've at least throw in a few seconds of gameplay and maybe some deliberate RT showcasing, but no that dude's wife's pixelated hologram had to occupy 1/3 of the runtime.

Next sort of bit;
The box has a label that stays largely non reflective, once it reaches that very critical angle as the box points downwards you get a reflection directly into the camera from the light source bottom right that is obscured by his leg.
It looks like his boot is partially reflecting in the label. *MAYBE*

Next one ( you guys let me know)
On the left wall in the hallway it, there are 2 larger labels on the wall that begin reflecting him from the front side (thus the white, before it goes green as he passes it). Light source is up and behind the wall, so the reflection is really a modification of how light is bouncing in that room and I guess as he walks in the intensity increases which is why we see a sudden 'whiter' reflection
You'll need to watch the video in full screen and zoomed in to see it, but it's picking up the GI lighting and reflecting well

Last edited:
Bit disappointed by the pilot's clothing. It would have been nice if it showed some nextgen cloth sim. The straps in particular look very gamie. That'd be the kind of thing I'd to see in a cross gen title like this. Too high a production cost to be doing two sets of characters?

Last edited:
They needed to figure out if they had the balls to ret-con Halo 4 and Halo 5 as never ever happening? They do not. We are sad at their lack of fortitude.

I will be so pleased if Halo Infinite starts with the Chief waking up saying "I had the weirdest dream.." :yep2:

343i needs to take the L and own it and then fix it. Retconning it will just mean more mistakes, simple way out.

They showed nothing, a 5min cutscene that looked current gen graphically with the most boring sequence you could choreograph and that's MS' way of taking E3 to next level...
Well at least it looked much better than Halo 5.

I agree with you. You gotta remember, though: critics love sad, preferably crying dads in games. And now MS has one as well.

Just a cubemap.
damn, some effort put into fakery then. I see the guy in the visor as well. Or maybe I'm imagining there is a guy there. Hmm, really thought that was it though. But yea, I can see how this is a cube map for sure, it doesn't go all the way down to the end of the pelican

The reflection of his face is pointing away from the cockpit, but he's facing the camera/cockpit. :p

Maybe it's a space horror.
Maybe it's a dream.
Maybe it's 343i. :V

The reflection of his face is pointing away from the cockpit, but he's facing the camera/cockpit. :p

Maybe it's a space horror.
Maybe it's a dream.
Maybe it's 343i. :V
Yea I noticed that; completely off
those bastards ;0

Going to wait for DF review on it. They think there could be RT shadows. Understandably hard to prove. But they do look good very good.

Last edited:
Back