Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
You got links for both of these, one being theoretical other real world?

Sony showed us the math in the Wired article with the Spider-man load comparison. Microsoft just said 40x faster in their E3 project Scorpio video. There's no reason to believe its anything but the theoretical improvement. They certainly didn't say anything about a specific test scenario. If I wanted to be less charitable I could say they were referencing some random access statistic and the max read speed is actually much lower than 4GB/s. But I doubt that's the case.

I can't wait until some detailed specs leak once the Scarlett dev kits are shipped out in the coming months.

Today was good for checking off hardware RT and 24GB of ram.

You are talking about a guy who has worked at the biggest gaming magazine in the world for over 20 years. He is well positioned to know tons of veteran devs.

He even said "rumors" and "we'll see" which is code for "when I'm wrong you can't get mad".

He seems to have a bias as well because when some in the replies says the old software is what matters who cares, he retorts something about well MS is making a big deal out of it so obviously somebody does (which seemed oddly caustic towards ms to me)
OdY8w5G.png

Then you have the fact his tweet is essentially the visual representation of the meme:

Nobody:

Reiner: PS5 will be more powerful than Xbox

Like, where did that come from? At least if he was answering a question it would seem more organic instead of defensive, and IMO less suspicious.

The most powerful console is Xbox One X, for at least the next 1.5 years. Past that is only speculation. And we wont know any answers for a LONG time and even then nobody will, accept them (secret sauce)

Would devs even have final specs at this time?

We also have a vid where Xbox is talking about "eating monsters for breakfast". I dont think it will be any lightweight.

Plus, the PS4 was 50% >Xbox One. Do you think that's happening again? (I think it will be less powerful; than next Xbox, but just for argument). We know just that both are touting SSD's, Zen 2, and apparently Navi officially, all parity so far.

But I should have just left my original reply rather than over explain LOL. It summed up the truth better TBH.

Last edited:
He seems to have a bias as well because when some in the replies says the old software is what matters who cares, he retorts something about well MS is making a big deal out of it so obviously somebody does (which seemed oddly caustic towards ms to me)

It's pretty obvious where the bias is in your reading, and it's not the author of the tweet.

You of course have no bias whatsoever. You have no rooting interest in this at all, I'm sure.

Everybody is biased.

Well I can’t determine my bias until I get more concrete specs and some sales because for some reason I’m a sucker for the underdog.

Genesis-N64-Xbox-PS3-XB1

I literally switched from the 360 to the PS3 right in the middle of Sony trying dig the PS3 out a price hole.

LOL...I think I need therapy.

He even said "rumors" and "we'll see" which is code for "when I'm wrong you can't get mad".

OdY8w5G.png

Then you have the fact his tweet is essentially the visual representation of the meme:

Nobody:

Reiner: PS5 will be more powerful than Xbox

Like, where did that come from? At least if he was answering a question it would seem more organic instead of defensive, and IMO less suspicious.

The most powerful console is Xbox One X, for at least the next 1.5 years. Past that is only speculation. And we wont know any answers for a LONG time and even then nobody will, accept them (secret sauce)

Would devs even have final specs at this time?

We also have a vid where Xbox is talking about "eating monsters for breakfast". I dont think it will be any lightweight.

Plus, the PS4 was 50% >Xbox One. Do you think that's happening again? (I think it will be less powerful; than next Xbox, but just for argument). We know just that both are touting SSD's, Zen 2, and apparently Navi officially, all parity so far.

But I should have just left my original reply rather than over explain LOL. It summed up the truth better TBH.

Bias or not. Let’s put things into context and remind ourselves of why things happened the way they did.

The reason PS4 was so much more powerful than the One was due to very important budget decisions.

MS wanted to launch with Kinect included. Sony wanted to focus on games alone.

The budget that went into Kinect (IIRC around $100 per unit) on the One, went to extra GPU power on the PS4.

On top of that, MS decided to keep the eDRAM structure they had on the 360, while Sony decided to simply start fresh with a totally new architecture since the PS3 had been a bit of a mess.

Now, if we look at the current situation, MS yesterday said that they have listened to us and that the new platform will be for games alone. And we know Sony is doing the same.

It follows that in terms of budget allocations, both Sony and MS are funnelling their cash and efforts in two platforms that, for now, sound extremely close to each other. Especially when you look at the tech available to them at the same price point, at the same time, and from the same manufacturers.

The only way I can see one pulling away from the other in terms of power is if one of them makes the very risky decision to delay some HW lockdown so that they can take advantage of some potential new tech that might be available a few months after the other has locked down the specs for their platform. Risky because you might get into supply problems, delays etc.

Now, if we look at the current situation, MS yesterday said that they have listened to us and that the new platform will be for games alone. And we know Sony is The only way I can see one pulling away from the other in terms of power is if one of them makes the very risky decision to delay some HW lockdown so that they can take advantage of some potential new tech that might be available a few months after the other has locked down the specs for their platform. Risky because you might get into supply problems, delays etc.

Fair assessment, although they could have differing financial models which would throw a spanner into your technical perspective.
The only thing I can see where a delay could make a substantial step-wise difference in capabilities would be a lithographic process change.

Boring generation coming up honestly. Both are buying same off the shelf parts and will spin some PR around it to fire up the fanboys.

Gamepass ultimate $1 upgrade for 24months is the real winner here.

I expect both to double dip mid gen and shore up any deficiencies from launch so that’ll be the real product of next gen.

Fair assessment, although they could have differing financial models which would throw a spanner into your technical perspective.
The only thing I can see where a delay could make a substantial step-wise difference in capabilities would be a lithographic process change.

True.

GDDR6 vs HBM+DDR4 could be a diffentiator.
HBM+DDR4 probably uses less power -> could get higher clocks.

RT solutions could be radically different too.

I really don’t see how AMD would be working on two extremely similar APUs to be released at the same time, yet have one on GDDR6 and the other on another configuration.

Sony and MS will get what AMD gives them. They will have the same amount of RAM because they’re not stupid and clearly information is travelling constantly.

They will both say they are “custom built”, probably because they might have features that are not present on off the shelf chips (say, RT), and call it a day. Which is absolutely fine! Let them focus on getting the price right and the games launched.

Or maybe I’m just too cynical.

I really don’t see how AMD would be working on two extremely similar APUs to be released at the same time, yet have one on GDDR6 and the other on another configuration.

Sony and MS will get what AMD gives them. They will have the same amount of RAM because they’re not stupid and clearly information is travelling constantly.

They will both say they are “custom built”, probably because they might have features that are not present on off the shelf chips (say, RT), and call it a day. Which is absolutely fine! Let them focus on getting the price right and the games launched.

Microsoft is also going after the PC market and all their games will be dual platform. They will certainly want to ensure ease of development across the board.

What a consumer will get next gen is a cheaper PC thats being subsidized. A functional version a what “steam machines” were supposed to be.

PS4 Pro has customizations patented by Sony not present on any other AMD products.

Why does anyone believe any of the rumors out right now, one way or the other? Such as PS5 is more powerful. Such as NextBox is more powerful. Confirmation Bias. That's why.

Don't believe any of the rumors out right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back