The Annual E3 Microsoft press conference thread, 2019 edition

Xbox 2019 E3 post show review.

Microsoft Fails To Capitalize On Sony’s Absence With A Surprisingly Light Xbox Scarlett Reveal
I just finished watching a hundred minutes of Microsoft’s Xbox event, one that was hyped up to great measure by pretty much the whole industry, but in practice, ended up being…quite a bit lighter than I was expecting. Pretty light on big games, light on details about Xbox Scarlett and the biggest moment of the show was the guest appearance of Keanu Reeves announcing the Cyberpunk 2077 release date. Yes, that really happened.

Yup. The biggest moment for me as well. :yep2:

It’s actually curious because one thing Microsoft was not doing was strutting about saying they had built the most powerful console ever made. Their chose of words was deliberate, they said it’s “the most powerful console we’ve ever made,” and there are rumblings from industry insiders that the PS5 actually might have a slight power edge over Scarlett. Back when it was PS4 Pro versus Xbox One X, all Microsoft could talk about was its power advantage. Now? Not so much.

Last edited:
They could have held 2 press conferences with the same games and given all the games more time and it would have been better, felt oddly paced and nothing was given breathing room.

People placing any weight on them not very clearly stating that they are going to make the most powerful console like they did with Scorpio seem to forget 1 very important difference: Back then the PS4 Pro was just a handful of months from release and everything was locked down.

Sounds exactly the same as Sony’s little reveal. Custom zen2 custom Navi, SSD, loading times etc. Released pretty much at the same time. Sounds like the new consoles will differentiate themselves only by the software, which is great.

Yes, this is also my conclusion, altough we do not know all the details. I am always a bit surprised how equal the consoles from MS and Sony turn out to be, not in the GPU and CPU department, because that follows the market HW cost, consumer price and release time, but that they both seem to have this special SSD solution that I believe caught most of us with a surprice. I guess it shows that the "information walls" between the companies are not very thight?. Anyhow I personally believe that these two consoles will be max 10-15 % from each other power wise. History shows that this will be a negliable difference at on screen gaming experience. (Yes I know that analysis will say resolution differences and so on...) This is good because we consumers can consentrate on which console give us the games and services that each of us want. The last few weeks I have seen people have raised their conserns at their favorite console provider, and I just wanted to get this off my chest. Don't worry be happy:).

They could have held 2 press conferences with the same games and given all the games more time and it would have been better, felt oddly paced and nothing was given breathing room.

People placing any weight on them not very clearly stating that they are going to make the most powerful console like they did with Scorpio seem to forget 1 very important difference: Back then the PS4 Pro was just a handful of months from release and everything was locked down.

Exactly..but common sense has long gone out of the window and is laying dead on the pavement...neither MS nor Sony are going to claim anything until one of them has officially announced its specifications. "Rumors" at this stage are nothing more that toilet paper thin hot takes.

I understand people wanted some more meat(gameplay) but that's for the rest of the conference. Microsoft will use Mixer & Inside Xbox to get deeper & more one on one with the stuff they announced. You can't put all the gameplay in the keynote. The show would have been 4 or 5 hours long. There's a reason why press & people go to the expo part. To see hands on stuff & report about it. If after the conference they don't dig deeper into the titles shown, then complain.

Tommy McClain

Ori is gorgeous and Flight Simulator just looks amazing.

And I really really hate 21:9 videos in 16:9 containers.

But I do love the fact that we still don't know shit about RT on AMD GPUs....Not expecting much from tomorrow's AMD conference either...
curiously enough, Sony said that PS5 supports raytracing, but we don't know whether it does support it natively via hardware or not. MS clearly stated that Scarlett supports RT via hardware.

Even if they're capable of RT, how common will it be, at least at launch?

4K60 HDR will be enough for the developers to tout.

Now, are today's UHD HDR TVs capable of 4K60 or do they need HDMI 2.1?

I kinda wish we had gotten a “and this is what a scarlet game will look like...” clip in the Scarlet teaser.

People expecting MS (or any other company) to fully detail/announce a console 1 year & half before release for no reason besides feeding into fanboy wet dreams should be a Darwin award contestants. Click motherf@ing bait season is in full force!

Imagine what that means for us here? Pretty much a year of speculating and rumours to entertain our bored minds.

Isn't that great?

Back