Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The latest tensilica cores on 7nm can do 1.8 Tops, they doubled the perf per mm2 from the previous 14nm dsp core. Maybe they are going to have a few of those for audio, AI, and RT helpers.

Is it a coincidence that both systems are similar?
They either came to the same conclusion on next gen or this is a play for a two horse race, nocking every other upstart player out of the market? Conspiracy theory at work here.

If FP16 throughput is the metric here, then it's 4x the "performance" of the XB1X, but less than 3x the "performance" of the PS4 Pro.

:???:

Would this work up to being 4x more powerful from a CPU perspective as to what games have access to? You would have have twice as many threads and each thread being twice as powerful. Or am I missing something on the thread counts?

Current-Gen: 7 Core 7 Thread Jaguar
Next-Gen: 7 Core 14 Thread Zen 2

This is assuming 1 Core / 1 Core 2 Threads reserved for the OS.

Would this work up to being 4x more powerful from a CPU perspective as to what games have access to? You would have have twice as many threads and each thread being twice as powerful. Or am I missing something on the thread counts?

Current-Gen: 7 Core 7 Thread Jaguar
Next-Gen: 7 Core 14 Thread Zen 2

This is assuming 1 Core / 1 Core 2 Threads reserved for the OS.
Sebbbi mentioned as much on Twitter. My GoogleFu unfortunately is lacking, I am unable to search up the exact tweet.

Can we all put this silly comparison of 4x must mean FP16 to rest?

Sebi said:
8x Zen2 cores is roughly 4x faster than 8x Jaguar. Roughly 2x IPC and roughly 2x clocks (conservative 3.2 GHz estimate). Also 8x faster for AVX workloads (Jag was 0.5 rate AVX, Zen2 is 2.0 rate) such as ISPC and Unity Burst

Sebi said:
That might be true. But then again Zen 1 was already over 2x IPC of Jaguar, and Zen 2 got noticeable IPC uplift. So should be 4x+ in total with any reasonable clock rate in general purpose code. And of course higher in AVX/AVX2 code. So get that ISPC or Burst compiler ready.

Is it a coincidence that both systems are similar?
They either came to the same conclusion on next gen or this is a play for a two horse race, nocking every other upstart player out of the market? Conspiracy theory at work here.
They were starting with parts from a common vendor (AMD). The optimal engineering solutions would naturally lead them to similar configurations.

icrosoft also literally overclocked the Xbox One CPU a few months after unveiling the final specs...
As I understand it, this was only possible because they already over engineered the cooling on the original unit, so they could afford to upclock a bit more since it wouldn't change any timetables, parts, costs etc. It wasn't something they did on purpose, frankly they were rushing to get OG XBO done, they were far behind, and I think they panicked on cooling ala 360 so they ended up with a monster fan for a relatively cool unit.

Look at the green motherboard as they pan right about midway through the video. You can tell it has likely 12 chips in a horseshoe configuration, a la Xbox One X.
Yeah, just realized.
That is literally an xb1x board. (I'd recognize it's idiosyncracies even if they filmed it with a potato)

It looks like they just filmed a couple rework/repair stations. Asked someone to look busy.

Last edited:
The Up to 4x bullet point sounds exactly like the 2 teraflops of compute for PS3 back then :LOL:, it's just a matter of perspective folks, be it FP16, CPU or etc. I hope no sane person is believing a 24 tf mid gen upgrade level Anaconda.

About the absence of Lockhart: I think they are doing what Sony did with PSVR2. They don't want to confuse people with too much announced products, particularly 18 months before. People should be first focused and hyped on the premium machine.

It's also possible that Lockhart may not exist at all. :yep2:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back