The Annual E3 Microsoft press conference thread, 2019 edition

But I do love the fact that we still don't know shit about RT on AMD GPUs....Not expecting much from tomorrow's AMD conference either...

Sounds exactly the same as Sony’s little reveal. Custom zen2 custom Navi, SSD, loading times etc. Released pretty much at the same time. Sounds like the new consoles will differentiate themselves only by the software, which is great.

Didn't really care about any new games. If current gen fans are happy, I'm happy for them.

But MS reps have been lying for almost a year about more Original Xbox games coming to Xbox One through BC. They appear to have completely abandoned that program in favor of moving it all to next gen.

Didn't really care about any new games. If current gen fans are happy, I'm happy for them.

But MS reps have been lying for almost a year about more Original Xbox games coming to Xbox One through BC. They appear to have completely abandoned that program in favor of moving it all to next gen.
Unfortunately IIRC MS doesn't have the final say when it comes to BC unless it's their own game. Publishers can say no and there are also often licensing roadblocks with games that old, especially in relation to soudtracks/music/car manufacturers etc..

almost a year about more Original Xbox games coming to Xbox One through BC. They appear to have completely abandoned that program in favor of moving it all to next gen.

We've been over this already. Contracts are a bitch. Especially when you need to redistribute the game and you're not covered under the contracts from decades ago.

And what about 1st party games that don't contain any licensed music?

Add: And that wasn't my actual complaint, anyway. If they can't bring any more games to BC, that's fine. But lots of people asked them if more were coming. Instead of saying "We can't" "We're trying" or "We don't know", they always replied with "Stay tuned!".

We've been over this already. Contracts are a bitch. Especially when you need to redistribute the game and you're not covered under the contracts from decades ago.

Yeah music is always a big thorny one. There's games on Steam that have had to redo their soundtracks to get around licensing issues of re-releasing older games.

And even then, that's just the tip of the iceberg when you back more than 10 years with companies and developers that no longer exist.

No One Lives Forever is a poster child of a game that is so buried in rights hell that even though tons of people want a re-release, it'll never happen because the licensing for it is a big huge mess.

Regards,
SB

Add: And that wasn't my actual complaint, anyway. If they can't bring any more games to BC, that's fine. But lots of people asked them if more were coming. Instead of saying "We can't" "We're trying" or "We don't know", they always replied with "Stay tuned!".

Even 1st party games have licensing snafu's. In the case of Xbox, it gets even more complicated because if a developer went really low level with the NV GPU, then you run into NV IP licensing rights.

And then you still have the problems with music licensing. Often those old contracts didn't ensure that the game would retain rights to originally created music because the companies didn't think they'd want to re-release the game 10-15 years later. So in many cases the person that was contracted to create the music owns the rights to the music.

Regards,
SB

Practically every game contains something that is licensed unfortunately could by anything from music, a middle ware used to develop it, cars in the case of racing games. Back then it was like the middle age. Licensing deals were done for a game to be released on one platform, on a physical media at nothing else. Sometimes nothing can be done. MS had to pull Forza Horizon 1 which was released as BC because of music licensing issues https://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-us/news/wir_9_23_16

Updated first post to inline some of the specific videos and include links to others for those who don't want to try jumping through the entire YouTube event feed.

Kinda forgetful conference but with 2020 being the start of the next gen I'm not really surprised TBH. Anybody getting hints from the hardware shown in the Project Scarlett video?

Tommy McClain

The best way to go about things for Xbox Game Pass Ultimate is to have 35 months combined between Xbox Gold and Game Pass (cheapest way you can get there), activate the $1 Game Pass Ultimate offer, then enjoy your 36 months of Game Pass Ultimate.

Any time duration over 36 months between Gold and Game Pass will be dropped during conversion to Ultimate.

Yeah, I've got 12M freebie gold membership I'm about to redeem, plus 6M game pass still to expire. I guess it'd make sense to buy another 12M gold before taking them up on their offer (haven't got enough reward points to get any more freebies at the moment).

Sounds exactly the same as Sony’s little reveal. Custom zen2 custom Navi, SSD, loading times etc. Released pretty much at the same time. Sounds like the new consoles will differentiate themselves only by the software, which is great.

Holiday 2020, which implies November 2020?

Why are they wasting people's time now with this presentation?

Do they want to dampen sales of the current gen for the next year and a quarter?

Do they want to dampen sales of the current gen for the next year and a quarter?

When their competition is outselling them 3:1, why wouldn't a business want or try to Osborne their competition?

How about putting out some games and pushing the hardware costs down?

13-14 months from now it will be 4X more powerful than the X1X? For how much though?

Wasting what exactly? Every games is forward & backward compatible with all the systems & PC. This announcement just like Sony's PS5 WIRED "announcement" are totally harmless. Everybody knew that both next gen consoles where releasing in Fall 2020 and that games you by now will work on them or in 6 months or 12 months). Those who want to upgrade HW will do it anyway those who don't won't loose anything given that they will have access to the same library of games.

Oh whoa.

Remedy is making the single player campaign for that Crossfire X game from Smilegate. How weird is that?

Woah, where did you see that info? I wonder how large of a team they have on it. Aren't they still working on their own game, Control ?

Back