The Annual E3 Pre Hype, 2019 Edition

If that's a viable business model that players would love and use, why don't these games provide that anyway? A flat-monthly everything included package?

In general it's more profitable to sell things ala carte. There are people that spend hundreds and thousands of dollars a year on LoL and DOTA. Hence, those games would never agree to be on a subscription service unless their user base was in sharp decline.

MS, however, is attempting to push a subscription service. If they can make something similarly addictive to people that is F2P, then it would make the subscription service more attractive if you didn't have to pay for all the cosmetics, etc. while subscribed.

You potentially lose out on revenue from ala carte purchases, but you potentially gain a much larger subscriber base. Especially if many of those people were people that wanted those cosmetics and other items, but couldn't afford to buy many of them.

DOTA, LoL, and Fortnite are just really good examples of something along those lines.

And thus I noted, that it's extremely difficult to come up with something that grabs and retains a significantly large number of gamers for a significantly long period of time. IE - it's not likely to happen, but if it did...

Regards,
SB

There are loads of possible megatons. Just none every happen! I think there have been a few in the past which is where the notion comes from. Heck, Sony and MS announcing their consoles were real megatons. Sonic on a Nintendo console was a megaton. The phrase has been completely overused for hyperbolic marketing though such that there's no reason to think any announcements labelled a megaton will be anything of the sort.
Agreed on your last sentence. Sorry I thought you meant that there were no more announcements being made that we could consider megaton class.

There certainly are, just not being made lol.

Shigeru Miyamoto will be at the Microsoft briefing.

1560105601409.jpg

1560105601811.jpg

Interesting. Maybe game-pass related or a sharing of 1st party game catalogues between both parties. If not, do we have another Kojima situation on our hands (but a more friendlier exit from Nintendo).

Interesting. Maybe game-pass related or a sharing of 1st party game catalogues between both parties. If not, do we have another Kojima situation on our hands (but a more friendlier exit from Nintendo).
In the audience or on stage?
it's a rumour, it'd be nice if it was a joint game or something. Were it something institutional, Miyamoto wouldn't be there but someone representing him, so I guess it's some kind of game.

We shall see if it's just smoke and mirrors or if it's real. If it's real, it could be a epic megaton, if not, it could be something stupid. Let's see.

Microsoft XBox Thread is now open, with a little under 2:30 to go.

Back