AMD: Navi Speculation, Rumours and Discussion [2019-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's legit. It appears Navi indeed sacrificed compute to gain more pixel pushing power, just like Digital Foundry predicted/anticipated. A Vega 64 is 12.5 TFLOPS, yet an RX 5700 is 8.5 TFLOPS at typical gaming clocks, and it's faster than a Vega 64.
Less peak FP doesn't mean it's not doing more real FLOPS on average.

Alright, got some info about Navi, don't ask about the source, but it's reliable as hell, and I trust it implicitly.

The highest SKU launching will be named RX 5700 XT, 40CU, 9.5TFLOPS, 1900MHz max clocks, with 1750MHz being the typical gaming clock. Power delivery is through 2X 6pin connectors.
At 40CU in 255mm^2, that’s roughly the same CU density as Polaris - 36 CU in 232 mm^2. Radeon 7 saw a 33% shrink despite doubling memory bus, so this sounds like a big architecture overhaul.

It's legit. It appears Navi indeed sacrificed compute to gain more pixel pushing power, just like Digital Foundry predicted/anticipated. A Vega 64 is 12.5 TFLOPS, yet an RX 5700 is 8.5 TFLOPS at typical gaming clocks, and it's faster than a Vega 64.
That doesnt fit at all with the 1,25 IPC gain per clock. You need 10 Navi Tflops to reach 12,5 Vega Tflops performance. In fact it should be a 25 % slower than a Vega 64.

And the AMD marketing team misses it?. Nah, it will be 1,25 in the best case.
1.25x was across a suite of 30 games at 4K. If you call an average of 30 games best case, then I guess you're correct.

https://www.amd.com/en/press-releas...ion-leadership-products-computex-2019-keynote

Testing done by AMD performance labs 5/23/19, showing a geomean of 1.25x per/clock across 30 different games @ 4K Ultra, 4xAA settings. Performance may vary based on use of latest drivers. RX-327

Also, 1900MHz/1546MHz *40 CU/64CU * 12.5 TF = 9.6 TF. IPC is not intrinsically tied to teraflops by a scalar multiplier, as it's ultimately game dependent (hence averaging 30 games gets you 1.25x). Some games it will be higher.

Given RDNA does seem to be a big architecture change, I would guess the 1.25X will only grow as drivers get optimized.

Last edited:
You claim an 8.5TFLOP Navi > 12.5TFLOP Vega. That would mean 1.25x is anything but ideal.
This isn't about the FLOPS, it's about performance (IPC) per clock. RX 5700 runs at 1750MHz typical gaming clock, which enables it to achieve performance comparable to the 2070, which is 10% faster than Vega 64.

This isn't about the FLOPS, it's about performance (IPC) per clock. RX 5700 runs at 1750MHz typical gaming clock, which enables it to achieve performance comparable to the 2070, which is 10% faster than Vega 64.
Are you confirming the Strange Brigade demo was at 1750MHz?

So, why AMD ,that will give us the best case scenario, says the performance per clock is 1,25 higher?. To get what you say they should say 1,50.

Thanks for posting. Interesting information. Nvidias GTX 1080 FE with it's 9.1 TFLOPs (usual boost is 1866 MHz so actually ~9.6 TFLOPs) beats Vega 64 in games. That would mean AMDs TFLOPs in games are better than Nvidias now, which would be nice for a change.

EDIT: I remember that there was a leak from gfxbench (or something) that suggested turned down compute capabilities but much increased game performance for Navi. Does someone remember it? I can't find the bench result but I believe it was with 20 or 24 CUs while performaning around RX 580 levels.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back