The Annual E3 Pre Hype, 2019 Edition

Rumor is that Microsoft will be showing another resurrected old Xbox IP.

I'd love it if they resurrected either MechAssault or Crimson Skies. There's also tons of other IP they haven't used in ages that I'd love to see resurrected.

Regards,
SB
I do wonder if they’ll be able to work out a port of MechWarrior 5, which is slated for Sept. I can’t see MechAssault returning unless it’s a raymaster (I hope).

I don't believe in megatons any more. So many were rumoured in previous E3's to no avail. What marketeers consider a 'megaton', the gaming community considers a five buck Roman Candle.

I can't find any evidence of the word used in the manner in which console warriors use it. Either in general use, or as a marketing industry specific term.

I've always thought it was bizarre, especially when you get into the context of leaks canceling them out, etc..

Not feeling the art style and the fact it's
mp only
pretty much kills the hype. I expected much more like a true next gen game with strong narrative focused campaign, especially coming off the wonderful Hellblade.

Hellblade was an experiment with a small team. I wouldn't expect this to be the only thing from NT, even if it's the only thing they show. They were excited that being owned by MS would allow them to do more mini-AAA experiments.

The leaked game looks like perfect Gamepass material.

Does seem a weird first title though from a studio that made its name in emotive motion-capture story. Especially when Sony are making strides with AAA narrative-driven titles, you'd think MS snatched NT up to produce such titles for MS's library to counter Sony's really strong offerings. Are some people going to be tempted to buy a PS based on TLoU or GoW? Probably. Is anyone going to be tempted to buy a console based on an MP-only arena fighter? Well...I wouldn't have thought so.

That said, it's looking like a quick release after the acquisition, so more likely this was a secondary project NT was already tackling for the fun of it, prior to knuckling down to another Bafta-winning emotive epic.

The leaked game looks like perfect Gamepass material.
The way that's phrased, it makes it sound like 'game pass' is games you'd pass on. That'd be a really bad association to pick up!

We've known for a while that this was their game.
The problem was always going to be perception.
Bought by MS and look at what MS 'made'/influenced them to do. When it was in development years prior to the acquisition.

The way that's phrased, it makes it sound like 'game pass' is games you'd pass on. That'd be a really bad association to pick up!

Hehe. That's more or less what I meant but didn't mean it in an overly harsh way.

I can't imagine ever buying an MP-arena title. It's not really my thing. Except, if it's on gamepass I'm likely to give it a go. If it's well made, I'm likely to get a few hours enjoyment out of it. Who knows, it may even sink it's teeth in.

Thinking about MP only titles and how they might make a subscription service more attractive.

Imagine if something like League of Legends or DOTA were on Game Pass. It's never going to happen, but those are goods one to illustrate this.

They'd still have their F2P versions outside of the subscription service. But if you have it in the subscription service you get all cosmetics and new characters as part of the service (and you lose any that you didn't buy once you cancel your subscription).

I'd imagine that would draw in a ton of people and make it so they would be extremely unlikely to cancel their sub. Add to that access to a huge library of games, and that subscription service is suddenly very attractive.

If MS can make a game like that, it would greatly enhance the appeal for Game Pass as well as making it less likely for people to cancel. The hard part, however, is trying to make a game like that. It doesn't happen to often. Very few F2P games have been able to retain players for years and years. For every League of Legends, DOTA, or Fortnite, there are 10's and even 100's of F2P games that have failed to attract a die hard userbase.

Regards,
SB

I don't believe in megatons any more. So many were rumoured in previous E3's to no avail. What marketeers consider a 'megaton', the gaming community considers a five buck Roman Candle.
I think Nintendo showing up on their stage would be a megaton. There are some things they can do partnering with competitors that many consider as 'ground breaking'

They'd still have their F2P versions outside of the subscription service. But if you have it in the subscription service you get all cosmetics and new characters as part of the service (and you lose any that you didn't buy once you cancel your subscription).

I'd imagine that would draw in a ton of people and make it so they would be extremely unlikely to cancel their sub. Add to that access to a huge library of games, and that subscription service is suddenly very attractive.
If that's a viable business model that players would love and use, why don't these games provide that anyway? A flat-monthly everything included package?

I think Nintendo showing up on their stage would be a megaton. There are some things they can do partnering with competitors that many consider as 'ground breaking'
There are loads of possible megatons. Just none every happen! I think there have been a few in the past which is where the notion comes from. Heck, Sony and MS announcing their consoles were real megatons. Sonic on a Nintendo console was a megaton. The phrase has been completely overused for hyperbolic marketing though such that there's no reason to think any announcements labelled a megaton will be anything of the sort.

Back