Stadia, Google Game Streaming platform [2019-2021]

There aren't going to be next gen announcements at E3 are there, unless MS takes the jump?

There is for sure going to be. It's one of the reasons AMD has been so tight lipped about Navi I think and that's why they giving all the deets of Navi a day after the Microsoft conference.

Tales from my ass time. If Sony are quiet about next gen PlayStation over the next couple of months it's because they don't stack up well against whatever Microsoft announced or if they respond quickly it means the opposite.

Last edited:
Or news that xCloud has higher hardware specifications ?

That's the rumour. What they've shown of xcloud is 4 One S's in a tray, so presumably thats' more power efficient/cheaper than XB2 doing back compatibility?

Can't see how XB2 xcloud having even 50% more GPU power would make much difference for 1080p streaming, unless XB2 does have dedicated raytracing hardware or is aimed at 4k.

Do we know how many cpu threads Stadia has available? Is this the biggest potential technical gap between the systems?

1S may be more efficient when running current gen and BC games.
But...
Its taking up rack space for a Scarlett based blade that can run next, current and BC gen games, and also be used for other azure workloads when not game streaming.

So the obvious reason to me for rolling out 1S based xcloud is due to availability. Scarlett won't be ready to be rolled out to blades until probably 2021.

But it doesn't stop them from saying Scarlett based xcloud is coming etc.

Hearing some rumors that Google might try to pull an Epic and buy up PC exclusivity of games.

Hoping they don't, but Epic has opened the door for that to happen.

Regards,
SB

Hearing some rumors that Google might try to pull an Epic and buy up PC exclusivity of games.
Making PC games streaming exclusive? I think that'll backfire badly. Games that PC gamers care about, they'll no doubt want to play locally.

Hoping they don't, but Epic has opened the door for that to happen.
Opened what door? Epic aren't the first company to buy exclusivity.

Making PC games streaming exclusive? I think that'll backfire badly. Games that PC gamers care about, they'll no doubt want to play locally.

Yeah, I mean that would make the outrage over the Epic Store seem like a tiny blip. Maybe it would at least give the anti-Epic crusaders some perspective...

Opened what door? Epic aren't the first company to buy exclusivity.

There may be another case of a PC game storefront buying the exclusive right to sell a game, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

There's obviously cases where a developer or publisher decided to only sell on one PC storefront, but that's different from a PC game store paying you to not sell your game at any other store.

Regards,
SB

There may be another case of a PC game storefront buying the exclusive right to sell a game, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.
Google isn't providing a storefront but an alternative gaming service. Even then, storefront or not, companies the world over have used paid-for exclusivity to try to gain a business advantage. Epic aren't doing anything new and haven't started anything nor opened any metaphorical doors. If Epic Store didn't exist, you'd still expect Google to buy games to bolster their platform, same as MS and Sony. Same as the likes of Walmart and Amazon securing exclusive product lines.

Looks like the press release leaked by a French newspaper & posted to Reset forums. I found it via a Windows Central tweet...

Stadia is launching in 14 countries in November with 31 games at launch.
  • The "Stadia: Founder's Edition" costs $170 and comes with a controller, Chromecast Ultra, Destiny 2, and a three-month subscription.
  • You need a Chromecast device for Stadia to work at launch, but it should work with Google Chrome in 2020.
  • Stadia only works through a subscription at first, but a free version which offers 1080p streaming should launch in 2020.
  • The "Stadia Pro" subscription costs $12 a month and features 4K resolution and 60 frames per second (FPS) video streaming.
  • Older games with be included with the Stadia Pro subscription.
  • New games will have to be bought separately and will probably cost $60.
  • Google Stadia needs 10 Mbps download and 1 Mbps upload to work, but the image quality may be quite blurry.
  • The service requires 35 Mbps download for optimal 4K content and will probably use 20 GB or more data every hour.
  • Old games like Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Destiny 2, The Division 2, Doom, and Tomb Raider are part of the catalog.

Yeah, good luck with that. LOL

Tommy McClain

Google isn't providing a storefront but an alternative gaming service. Even then, storefront or not, companies the world over have used paid-for exclusivity to try to gain a business advantage. Epic aren't doing anything new and haven't started anything nor opened any metaphorical doors. If Epic Store didn't exist, you'd still expect Google to buy games to bolster their platform, same as MS and Sony. Same as the likes of Walmart and Amazon securing exclusive product lines.

Sure but I was very specific about them doing it with PC games. Something that, AFAIK, hasn't happened before. Hence, why the Epic store is getting so much flak from game consumers on PC rightly feeling that Epic are out to restrict their choice in where they can buy games not made by Epic. And why the Epic store is becoming a meme.

In many ways it was similar to, but much more intense and long lasting, than the uproar on console when MS bought the timed exclusivity to Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Basically whether other companies have done such things with whatever type of products that aren't PC games, if Google were to do this, expect massive backlash. Especially if they try to do it with one of the most beloved PC gaming franchises, Baldur's Gate 3. I've heard speculation and rumors that they might try this, and many of those people were absolutely livid at the prospect even if they could see the business sense of Google buying exclusivity of that title.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
  • The "Stadia Pro" subscription costs $12 a month and features 4K resolution and 60 frames per second
  • The service requires 35 Mbps download for optimal 4K content and will probably use 20 GB or more data every hour.
Tommy McClain

Those with data-caps be damned, I guess... :oops::runaway:

Looks like the press release leaked by a French newspaper & posted to Reset forums. I found it via a Windows Central tweet...

Yeah, good luck with that. LOL

Tommy McClain

Yeah, that's going to be an extremely limited niche of gamers that finds that compelling. Subscription and having to buy games that aren't "old." 20 GB per hour for best quality. That'd be ~50 hours of gaming (and no other use of Internet) to burn through Comcast's one TB cap, although you could (not sure if you still can) get unlimited for an additional 50 USD a month.

And when you consider the rise of 4k streaming video...bandwidth is already getting harder to ration if you have caps on your service. Hell, I'm paying for an additional low cost internet service that has no caps (10 USD) just to supplement my high speed internet connection which has a cap (40 USD).

Ooof. They really needed to launch with 1080p streaming as well to make it more accessible. Although maybe they deliberately want to make the service very limited as they don't feel they can service any notable number of users?

I wonder how Microsoft's service is going to stack up with this. I'm going to bet they won't launch with only 4k/60 streaming.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Kinda funny last night I was thinking of getting a Chromecast to cast DC Universe to my TV from my new Chromebook(no Xbox app). Anybody here have any experience with them? Thought of getting a Gen1 or Gen2 for cheap(don't need 4K). But an Ultra or Gen3 might be worth the extra $20-$30? Might come in handy next year to try out Stadia. I am a little curious even though I'm not interested in "owning" their games.

Those with data-caps be damned, I guess... :oops::runaway:

That was my thinking.

uhhhh what? That makes no sense.

Made me scratch my head too.

Yeah, that's going to be an extremely limited niche of gamers that finds that compelling. Subscription and having to buy games that aren't "old." 20 GB per hour for best quality. That'd be ~50 hours of gaming (and no other use of Internet) to burn through Comcast's one TB cap, although you could (not sure if you still can) get unlimited for an additional 50 USD a month.

And when you consider the rise of 4k streaming video...bandwidth is already getting harder to ration if you have caps on your service.

Ooof. They really needed to launch with 1080p streaming as well to make it more accessible. Although maybe they deliberately want to make the service very limited as they don't feel they can service any notable number of users?

Regards,
SB

Yeah, I think 1080p is the target they should have lead with. 4K makes no sense because of the bandwidth needed.

Maybe it's a good thing Google announced it before Microsoft showed off Xcloud? Gives Microsoft a chance to make changes to their messaging or service.

Tommy McClain

I'm really partial to the Roku devices for streaming services. I have a Gen 1 Chromecast since it came out, but stopped using it after a year, right around the time more media Apps hit Xbox. Now I do all streaming through the Roku. I splurged when they had a steal of a deal on the Roku Ultimate for $50, normal price around $80. Others have good success with their 4K $35 wireless stick.

I would be surprised if Stadia doesn't release an app for the Roku family.

I'm really partial to the Roku devices for streaming services. I have a Gen 1 Chromecast since it came out, but stopped using it after a year, right around the time more media Apps hit Xbox. Now I do all streaming through the Roku. I splurged when they had a steal of a deal on the Roku Ultimate for $50, normal price around $80. Others have good success with their 4K $35 wireless stick.

I would be surprised if Stadia doesn't release an app for the Roku family.

Yeah, I have a Roku 2XD on one of my 1080p TVs & my new 4K TV is a TCL/Roku. Just thought I might could a different but cheap streamer to use with the Chromebook. Probably just need to move the Roku instead of buying another device.

Tommy McClain

Requires $12 a month subscription (launch pricing) and Game Purchases.

Apparently, a batch of older games will be free but newest games will require purchase. Next year, free access for those "free" games will be unlocked, but stream will be limited to 1080p.

IMO, this sounds mostly reasonable [if game pricing is not crazy high]. Streaming can't be for free, not everything can be inside some cheap monthly/yearly sub, and publishers of new games LIKE MONEY.

Back