Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [pre E3 2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.cnet.com/news/sonys-pla...ss-transition-to-its-next-generation-console/
In his conversation with CNET, Ryan said an SSD storage drive Sony custom-designed for the console will be offered as part of the default version. He also added that the device will offer ultra-high definition 4K visuals at 120Hz, which is twice the screen refresh rate of most TVs.

Default version? Meaning there is more than one PS5 sku? Even if he wasn't implying that, I still can see Sony offering two models (1TB and 2TB SSD) at launch.

https://www.cnet.com/news/sonys-pla...ss-transition-to-its-next-generation-console/

Default version? Meaning there is more than one PS5 sku? Even if he wasn't implying that, I still can see Sony offering two models (1TB and 2TB SSD) at launch.

It probably means that the minimum denominator is SSD. There will be no PS5 model ever without an SSD. If they then decide to have a Pro, or other configurations of the base model, they will all come with the same SSD speeds, which I think is the main take away point. Games will be built with that speed in mind.

Not for a company like Microsoft, who have decades of experience of working with layers of abstraction to aid future legacy support but Sony have never really had to think about this so who knows what janky mess is lurking behind the PS4's interface. I reckon they have an option to disable boost mode on Pro for a reason and not just in case Pro owners want to run software a bit more shit than it otherwise would ;)

Why they'd bother to patent such a method is anybody's guess but patenting new methods for anything is the norm nowadays.
AMD has designed various GPUs with different architecture and faces all kinds of backward compatibility problems. Is their experience helpful to solve compatibility of PS4?

Anyone betting on PS1, PS2 and PS3 BC being a thing with PS5? I can see Microsoft hammering home the message (during E3) that Xbox-Next is BC with all prior Xbox systems.

Anyone betting on PS1, PS2 and PS3 BC being a thing with PS5? I can see Microsoft hammering home the message (during E3) that Xbox-Next is BC with all prior Xbox systems.
I imagine they’ll move to PS3 eventually. Definitely preferable to having PS3 racks for PSNow. They already emulate PS1/PS2, and i would be surprised if they added disc support.

Last edited:
I imagine they’ll move to PS3 eventually. Definitely preferable to having PS3 racks for PSNow. They already emulate PS1/PS2, and i would be surprised if they added disc support.

Maybe the CELL God's will bless us with their presence once again. :mrgreen::runaway:

"Whether it's backwards compatibility or the possibility of cross generational play, we'll be able to transition that community to next-gen," he said. "It won't be a binary choice about whether you have to be ether on PlayStation 4 or next-gen to continue your friendship."

Long interview, wasn't sure where to put it. and wanted to share, but need to go back to work:
"
In his conversation with CNET, Ryan said an SSD storage drive Sony custom-designed for the console will be offered as part of the default version. He also added that the device will offer ultra-high definition 4K visuals at 120Hz, which is twice the screen refresh rate of most TVs.

Ryan declined to discuss the company's plans for the PSVR, other than to say the company's pleased with its success so far."

AMD has designed various GPUs with different architecture and faces all kinds of backward compatibility problems. Is their experience helpful to solve compatibility of PS4?

AMD's hardware on computers is abstracted by drivers and APIs, in PlayStation 4 it is not. It's not insurmountable to have a specially engineered PS4 environment for PS5 where even thin low-level API calls to changed/deprecated hardware is handled but it lacks the elegance of Microsoft's approach - which isn't without its drawbacks either. But legacy support isn't one of them.

With all due respect, but who still plays PS1 games? Even PS2 games? Is this a thing?
I've been playing Champions of Norrath with friends local coop the past couple months on a PC emulator at 1080p (framerate sometimes slowing tanking sadly :(). Every similar dungeon crawler since is inferior in the coop experience. Even the hugely more popular Diablo 3 is a dumb button masher that's all about the numbers. This week we tried the newly released Warhammer Chaosbane on PS4, and it's pretty weak, like almost all dungeon crawlers.

There are a fair number of games that haven't had sequels, or the sequels changed the formula.

I've been playing Champions of Norrath with friends local coop the past couple months on a PC emulator at 1080p (framerate sometimes slowing tanking sadly :(). Every similar dungeon crawler since is inferior in the coop experience. Even the hugely more popular Diablo 3 is a dumb button masher that's all about the numbers. This week we tried the newly released Warhammer Chaosbane on PS4, and it's pretty weak, like almost all dungeon crawlers.

There are a fair number of games that haven't had sequels, or the sequels changed the formula.

Have you played Dungeon Siege 3?

Yes. I've played everything! The major strength CON has over all these others is the block mechanic. Playing level one characters in hardest difficulty requires us to take turns blocking holding off the enemy while the others chip away at their health. Otherwise, all these games end up not cooperating but co-existing, three or four players independently killing mobs at the same time.

XMen Legends 2 is a game I'd play again if PS5 has disc-based BC.

From a certain point of view.

It's the bottlenecks that force creativity & create a necessity for efficiency and optimization.

Begun, the platform wars have.
Richard seems to be making a general statement here. I don't think he's had the chance to see either console in person, a bit like us.
His commentary is useful to keep in mind for next gen though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back