Next Gen GPU architecture GCN, RDNA, Navi 10/20 (PS5 Navi Hybrid, Xbox Navi Pure) *spawn*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Assumptions, tinfoil-hat and conspiracy reasons... the same being applied to every other rumor floating about with these next-generation systems. Rumors that have been proven over and over as being BS. Until we get an actual document dump of PS5/Next-Box hardware/software... these rumors are just as reliable as the first rumors of XB1 being more compute heavy (having more TF) than PS4 before the leaks occurred. Point being, all the supposed inside knowledge as of late has been lacking or completely false.

Assumptions, tinfoil-hat and conspiracy reasons... the same being applied to every other rumor floating about with these next-generation systems. Rumors that have been proven over and over as being BS.

But what about Sony skipping E3, which plays in well with them going for a 2019 launch but falling behind ?

I mean, why would you think MS would still be on Vega in 2020?

I was being serious with "Assumptions, tinfoil-hat and conspiracy reasons... the same being applied to every other rumor floating about with these next-generation systems."

Meaning my answer isn't valid or factual, because the little that is known on Next-Xbox is merely surrounding rumors of Vega, not Navi. Should I not put anymore faith in these rumors than said rumors surrounding PS5?

I think you can make a lot stuff without any of the rumours (that then become rumours :LOL: ). :)

My question is, if PS5 was to launch in 2019, what particular first-party software would have been ready on justifying a $499 purchase when Pro is still selling quite well at $399 MSRP? I mean what, a bunch of cross-generational titles that are anchored to OG-PS4 tech? For what purpose? A more native 4K PS4 gaming experience? And it really doesn't make any sense when PS4 (even without any official price cuts) hardware sales are still quite high, and many of their first-party teams are still in the process of releasing PS4 software this year and the next.
They could be releasing a PS5 version for those exclusives, like Ghost, DS, TLOU2 and other big 3P titles in which more power is desirable. These are only titles we know of, that doesn't include additional titles that we suspect Sony are keeping hidden as they have skipped E3 for 2019. Having a 12 month lead with a large power arc over the base systems and mid-gen refresh is solid.

We'll always have a cross generational period of transition, waiting until 2020 isn't going to stop that from happening.

This is a hypothetical that they wanted to launch 2019 but delayed to 2020. I'm fairly confident we won't see a 2019 PS5 as a result of a investor discussions.

If anything got delayed would have been Sony's attempt on releasing another streaming system (which are outlined in many patents dealing with a new streaming platform) possibly this year. But their infrastructure on supporting such a new cloud-gaming system entailing such features as cloud assisted AI, ML, physics, and so-on, would have probably swamped PSN services, which already services some 90M users. Hence, their investors meeting outlining their push on better cloud gaming services solutions. And the more likely reasoning for delaying such a system was in-lieu of a possible partnership with Microsoft towards cloud gaming. Just saying...

If we assume they delayed from 2019 to 2020, we still don't know what their plan is. So a delay is a delay. Whether they had a backup build in the works with Navi 20, or decided to keep marching with Navi 10 and customize it to meet their expectations is beyond me.

All i know is that they advertise PS5 as being Navi. No one outside the forums will be able to debate properly why 1 Navi is better than another. I doubt the performance differentials will be so pronounced to see any real difference that layman purchasers will notice.

Lets wrap up the 2019 aim (which I think got delayed to 2020)
* 12 month lead over the competition
* 2-1 head start on consoles
* launch window including most desirable exclusives
* at least 2+ years head start on exclusives from the competition even though they acquired a bunch of stuff in 2018

All of this because
a) Shareholders want to see the stock/dividend go up. The price point of Sony today is already with the 2:1 ratio over Xbox. In order to keep seeing that stock price go up, they need higher than 2:1 for the coming generation.
b) Best way to increase profits is to reduce costs; COA is lower with a key launch window of exclusives and no hardware competition and software competition
c) Establish a critical mass before the competition securing the rest of sales.

I was being serious with "Assumptions, tinfoil-hat and conspiracy reasons... the same being applied to every other rumor floating about with these next-generation systems."

Meaning my answer isn't valid or factual, because the little that is known on Next-Xbox is merely surrounding rumors of Vega, not Navi. Should I not put anymore faith in these rumors than said rumors surrounding PS5?
I don't think these rumours/speculation are reflective of what PS5 will be necessarily.
They are no longer launching in 2019. So that makes this discussion moot more or less.

edit: if it's any consolation. It's much easier to speculate about Sony because we have some data points. My head hurts thinking about MS; 2 SKU launch with no info on SKU positioning has not been kind to me. So I've more or less given up on guessing what is going into their consoles and just waiting for E3.

But what about Sony skipping E3, which plays in well with them going for a 2019 launch but falling behind ?

Assumptions, not fact. Don't get me wrong, it's cool to speculate on things, but when I see walls and walls of text proposing something as fact, rather than presenting actual proof, just doesn't fly with me. For all we know, maybe all their PS4 internal projects are already known, that this generation of gaming is already cooked in their favor. Or maybe they had something streaming-box wise that got delayed. In the end, it's all assumptions without having actual facts. IIRC, just a week or so ago, many pegged Navi as being power hungry or having no improvements over GCN (other than 7nm) based on a doctored GPU PCB. Seriously, it's cool to speculate, not so much when people start to enter the land of believing and presenting their dribble as conclusive evidence.

Last edited:
I don't know why some are still making theories with a PS5 2019 launch. They have officialy stated that they won't release it before April 2020. But what about MS now ? They still said nothing officially so they could still launch their next box in 2019. Not that I think they would.

I mean, why would you think MS would still be on Vega in 2020?
Yep. It's either Vega (well custom Vega) in 2019 or Navi in 2020 IMO. No point of releasing Vega in 2020.

I don't know why some are still making theories with a PS5 2019 launch. They have officialy stated that they won't release it before April 2020. But what about MS now ? They still said nothing officially so they could still launch their next box in 2019. Not that I think they would.

Yep. It's either Vega (well custom Vega) in 2019 or Navi in 2020 IMO. No point of releasing Vega in 2020.
it's not a theory about a ps5 2019 launch. we know that's not going to happen. It's about whether that was what they tried and in the end, ended up aborting that mission to go another route. We know it's 2020, this thread doesn't really count.

MS likely plotted the timing of Scorpio with this next xbox. Similarly Sony eyeing 4Pro with PS5.
they both had similar strategies with this mid-gen release, they saw the same opportunity and took advantage of it. The roadmap provided to both of them, is likely much further out than what we know. So that would be the only thing that would make me believe why Sony and MS would have such similar strategies despite working isolated from each other.
These are very good teams with solid understanding of the changes in the marketplace.

Scorpio being announced in 2016 to be released in 18 months later in 2017 means they already had their sights on their next console as per the notes about MS working on ray tracing back in 2014; they announced in 2018 that they were already deep in architecting their next consoles; as if 1 console wasn't already enough work, these guys are working on 2 SKUs and some cloud stuff. Too much happening for 2019, 2020 is a reasonable distance away from Scorpio.

I don't know @iroboto . Spencer said there are no generations for them. Maybe they are going to release a premium machine every 2 years. They'd be sure to have the power advantage most of the time.

No comment on your first sentence....

The second sentence just isn't true and is based on an analysts claim in a Tweet that grew legs. Below is what Sony have said officially over a month after the analysts claim:

sony-playstation-5-2-650x355.jpg

Your third sentence is interesting as I've read quite a few other posts elsewhere suddenly thinking/suggesting the same. I guess Microsoft this year is possible but all the "noise" has been consistent about the date for Scarlett being 2020.

No comment on your first sentence....

The second sentence just isn't true and is based on an analysts claim in a Tweet that grew legs. Below is what Sony have said officially over a month after the analysts claim:

Your third sentence is interesting as I've read quite a few other posts elsewhere suddenly thinking/suggesting the same. I guess Microsoft this year is possible but all the "noise" has been consistent about the date for Scarlett being 2020.
Ok so if you don't believe a Wall Street Journal reporter that was told by Sony then you also won't believe the PS5 architect himself ? They all lied ? I guess some consistent noise from Internet would have being more believable.

Ok so if you don't believe a Wall Street Journal reporter that was told by Sony then you also won't believe the PS5 architect himself ? They all lied ? I guess some consistent noise from Internet would have being more believable.

The same reporter said at the 2018 IR Day he was told no PS5 for 3 years by John Kodera. Other reporters called him out on that.

It's possible "full RDNA" isn't in Navi '19, and it's also possible that PS5 won't use ""full RDNA"". (Ignoring for the moment possible architectural limitations due to BC).

But it's also possible that Snek and Snek Lite aren't using """full RDNA""". MS may have things they want to carry over from the somewhat customised X1X GPU, and it's also possible they've added things like hardware ray tracing that may pre-date """"full RDNA"""" solutions intended for 2020 Navi GPUs.

Only thing I'm willing to bet is that successive GPUs in successive years will have modifications and improvements, and that whatever the architectural base of PS5 it'll turn out to be a really solid system that can go the distance.

The same reporter said at the 2018 IR Day he was told no PS5 for 3 years by John Kodera. Other reporters called him out on that.
Interesting. Do we have a tweet back to this person? I was also under the assumption they announced April 2020. But if a reporter is the source and not Sony. Most interesting

Interesting. Do we have a tweet back to this person? I was also under the assumption they announced April 2020. But if a reporter is the source and not Sony. Most interesting

I don't think there is any need to go over in detail about what the guy said/did but here are the Tweets:

My original point to Globalisateur was that Sony have not officially talked about PS5 date. The IR Day graph is proof of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back