The Official, Long Awaited, TV Shows Thread

IMO its a perfectly reasonable film thing to do. (& similar has been done in a bunch of other films)
The TV, Radio, signs etc are all in Russian which provides the clue they're actually speaking in Russian, different accents imply people coming from different parts of USSR.
I think its better to just have native English accents than bad Russian accents https://www.reddit.com/r/shubreddit/

Western (basically people who don't dub everything into their own language) people won't watch actors speaking Russian and then reading subtitles.

This is not related to western people at all.

Dutch don't dub anything. Baguette country and ze Germans love crappy dubs, Japanse do too. Most Americans can't read so its bastardized English or Mexican for them.

Other than that I imagine that sourcing fluent Russian speaking actors might cause some practical issues as well.

Probably comes down to how large the population of any given country is. It's more cost-effective to teach 5 million Finnish people English than it is to dub every bloody movie for them. France, Germany and Spain all have very large and also very diverse populations, not to mention French and Spanish are languages which are spoken all across the globe. That is not the case with the Netherlands and Sweden.

And even though I prefer original language tracks, I gotta say that German dubbing is usually excellent.

On the subject of dubbing, obviously I grew up in Italy, and they literally dub everything. The most ridiculous, shocking thing I’ve ever seen dubbed was Britain’s got talent. They even tried to dub over the comedians and of course none of the jokes made sense. I have no idea what they were thinking, and I’m sure I’ve missed a lot of shit in the last 20 years.

Movies, I can understand, and there is a very big dubbing industry that sometimes finds actors who can dub a movie in Italian and make the performances sound a lot better than the shit American actor they’re dubbing. But most times it’s just weird.

It would be so much better, also for the language skills of the nation, to dub a little less and get people to do some of the work that people in Holland do, for example. Everyone in Holland speaks English. Still today there are young people who cannot speak a word of English in Italy.

This is not related to western people at all.

Dutch don't dub anything. Baguette country and ze Germans love crappy dubs, Japanse do too. Most Americans can't read so its bastardized English or Mexican for them.

Other than that I imagine that sourcing fluent Russian speaking actors might cause some practical issues as well.
Sorry I was a bit sweeping in my statement. What I meant to say (and added kinda in an edit) is that countries where media for non-children isn't dubbed won't usually watch Russian speaking stuff and read subtitles.

Last edited:
In Spain it's actually rather common to have English teachers who can barely speak English. My brother's boyfriend is from Spain and oh boy, dem English skills. And he's a bloody scientist.
Yes and no. Most English teachers in Spain can speak English quite well, but it's true that not many people speak this language fluently, because they don't care much. There's even this stupid thing that happens when you pronounce English correctly: they look at you like you're full of shit. Because, yeah, here in Spain you're supposed to Castilianize, so to speak, every English word or name when you're speaking in Castilian. For instance, if you say "¿Has escuchado el último single de Mariah Carey?" you'll definitely get the weird looks if you pronounce "single" and "Mariah Carey" in English, like you're pedantic or whatever.

Bottom line, there's no much love for English language here... or not much for a good English, at any rate.

By the way, if you think this is pathetic, just compare this with the Castilian speaking skills in the UK or the US. ;)

Yes and no. Most English teachers in Spain can speak English quite well, but it's true that not many people speak this language fluently, because they don't care much. There's even this stupid thing that happens when you pronounce English correctly: they look at you like you're full of shit. Because, yeah, here in Spain you're supposed to Castilianize, so to speak, every English word or name when you're speaking in Castilian. For instance, if you say "¿Has escuchado el último single de Mariah Carey?" you'll definitely get the weird looks if you pronounce "single" and "Mariah Carey" in English, like you're pedantic or whatever.

Bottom line, there's no much love for English language here... or not much for a good English, at any rate.

By the way, if you think this is pathetic, just compare this with the Castilian speaking skills in the UK or the US. ;)

I’m listening to MARIA CARRÈ right now!

"Good Omens" on Amazon Prime! I'd been looking forward to it for the chemistry between Sheen and Tenant, and I ended up staying up until 3am binging it last night they were so electrifying to watch!

VERY good show! I hadn't read the books so I had no clue going in, but I really enjoyed it thoroughly. Highly recommended and only a little under 6 hours for the whole thing and it is NOT slow paced. :)

Yeah, when my step-brother's spanish ex-girlfriend family got to know I speak English fluently, they all looked at me like I was an animal at the Zoo! So much wow! I was there like "and???", most of my Portuguese friends speak it as well, it's not rocket science...we are not special, you are just... basic?

Last edited:
ust be glad they didn't go the silly Assassin's Creed route where everyone speaks English, but with a comical foreign accent most of the time.
Thats how you speak french, speak english with a french accent while waving your arms about, and if they dont understand you it's because your not shouting loud enough
or speak with an american accent and strangely they suddenly understand english
ps; spanish is easy just add an "O" on the end of every word ;)

I can not learn a second language for the life of me, never had any luck with it no matter how hard I try.

I think english is just so bloody goofy that it's messed up my language skill centers for logical languages. :(

Back