Name for new NV4x

NeoCool

Newcomer
Hello all,

Its apparent from the roadmaps of the NV4X chipset code-named core-name series of NVIDIA's next generation graphics chips that the NVIDIA GeForce FX 6xxx series, it may be old news...but I think the name is pratical. Now, I wonder what the name would be for the R4XX series, the official one...maybe Radeon 99xx? :?

--NeoCool :)

In an attempt to make every consumer just roll over and not bother checking ANYTHING about cards anymore before buying them, the NV4x generation will begin with calling itself the nVideon 6000 Ultra-Pro, and the R42x derivatives will be start with ATiForce 6000 Pro-Ultras. XT and SE will be used interchangably by both at both the beginning and end of the names to help differentiate model derivatives.

cthellis42 said:
In an attempt to make every consumer just roll over and not bother checking ANYTHING about cards anymore before buying them, the NV4x generation will begin with calling itself the nVideon 6000 Ultra-Pro, and the R42x derivatives will be start with ATiForce 6000 Pro-Ultras. XT and SE will be used interchangably by both at both the beginning and end of the names to help differentiate model derivatives.

:LOL: Problem solved! I love the idea cthellis42.

The high end will be the
GeForceFX 109876 Ultra-Pro-XT edition

The vanila version will be the
GeForceFX 109875 SE-Ultra edition-Pro LE

The ultra low end version, despite only supporting DX5 will be called the
GeForceFX121314 Ultra Pro Turbo Extreme XT-SE Lite Vanta LE

Can't comment on the mainstream yet LOL

Hey, what about those?
Radeon S/M/L/XL/XXL
RadeonFX 5xxx
Radeon NT
Radeon XP SP1/2/3
Radeon 2004 Home/Professional/Enterprise Edition
Titaneon
Ruleon

:LOL:

Hard to say...If they named it GeForce FX 6000, average joe will think it's not much of an improvement over 5950. Maybe FX 6900 ? :LOL:

They'll probably drop the big numbers altogether for the R420 and it's derivatives - Certainly can't see them using 10000, unless they used 10k (which I doubt). Possibly Radeon, followed by 2 letters, then a number of 10 or below.

So something like Radeon PS4. Complete guess though.

Zengar said:
The codename for NV40 was Stinger(found in the driver)... But it was also the codename for Radeon 3xx :D
At first I thought Stinger sounded a bit dumb, but compared to "GeForce" it's a whole hell of a lot of improvement! :LOL:

I had heard a rumor that ATi was going to go back to the "Rage" naming convention for the 420, but I heard that a while ago and haven't heard anything on it since so I ain't holding it as the most creditable.

Let's see... what do I think about when I hear Rage describing video cards... oh yeah. Crap. They won't use Rage.

Zengar said:
The codename for NV40 was Stinger(found in the driver)... But it was also the codename for Radeon 3xx :D

Somehow Stinger makes me think of "stingy", don't know why

I have a feeling that since nv4x is largely based off of nv3x technology that they will still be named geforce fx; however, IIRC, since nv50 has been in development since the nv30 was started, that it will be an entirely different architecture and will change names. This will allow nvidia to split up their driver package to offer forceware for the geforce line of cards, and then they can optimize the newer drivers for the nv5x series only.

As for the r4xx, I would imagine ATI could derive a new naming scheme as radeon 10xxx is too long for a catchy name. Maybe they will change to the rage naming convention s Digital wanderer mentioned, but I wouldnt be suprised if they changed the naming scheme entirely.

Back