Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [pre E3 2019] *spawn*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only one pool of DDR4 is absurd for a gaming console. It's way too slow.

What if it uses 32 16Gbit chips in non-clamshell mode, to reach a total of 32*32bit = 1024bit, which if it was using DDR4 4000MT/s would reach 512GB/s?

:runaway::runaway::runaway:

Today I'm leaning more to the ~9TF rumored PS5. We'll know more about Navi at E3, but we already know that it uses GDDR6 and I suspect that that it will use a 256-bit bus and the 14 Gbps memory variant. I suspect that the rumored CU counts (40) and clock speeds (1.8-2.0 Ghz) are probably close (so a 9-10TF GPU). Which would lead me to believe that the for more teraflops, we'd need a much higher bandwidth (and hence a bigger bus).

I don't see a 384-bit bus showing up in a PS5 (maybe Xbox if there truly are multiple SKU's with a premium one). Too big for a new and expensive process. So I think a PS5 will have 256-bit bus with 16-Gbps GDDR6 to provide the additional bandwidth for the CPU. The teraflop count will be what the power dissipation allows (max being what's in the Radeon 57xx). Maybe the PS5 GPU will have some additional minor features, but I think that the majority of the work going into Navi for PS5 will center around area and power optimizations. While still important, area and power consumption are not as important for consumer GPU's as they are for consoles.

Today I'm leaning more to the ~9TF rumored PS5. We'll know more about Navi at E3, but we already know that it uses GDDR6 and I suspect that that it will use a 256-bit bus and the 14 Gbps memory variant. I suspect that the rumored CU counts (40) and clock speeds (1.8-2.0 Ghz) are probably close (so a 9-10TF GPU). Which would lead me to believe that the for more teraflops, we'd need a much higher bandwidth (and hence a bigger bus).

I don't see a 384-bit bus showing up in a PS5 (maybe Xbox if there truly are multiple SKU's with a premium one). Too big for a new and expensive process. So I think a PS5 will have 256-bit bus with 16-Gbps GDDR6 to provide the additional bandwidth for the CPU. The teraflop count will be what the power dissipation allows (max being what's in the Radeon 57xx). Maybe the PS5 GPU will have some additional minor features, but I think that the majority of the work going into Navi for PS5 will center around area and power optimizations. While still important, area and power consumption are not as important for consumer GPU's as they are for consoles.
I think that is quite beliveable they will go HBM2 to compensate the power excess.

Yeah for some reason I think the 8GB hbm rumour is true

When your read the patent one of the point is you need to preload less data and have data just in time with the custom SSD. I think this is increasing the possibility to have 8Gb of HBM2.

Last edited:

I would bet my left kidney it wont be a single digit Tflop for PS5 regardless of how efficient those Tflops are, if purely for marketing purpose. I think for power dissipation they'd rather go for a bigger form factor and vapor chamber than skimp on Tflops since you can always do shrink revisions with future fabric. Jason from Kotaku also heard about numbers way higher than 8 Tflops for PS5 so there's that.

It’s like a spaghetti western on who will draw first,

Sony may not disclose final specs until Xbox reveals at E3 or when it suits them.
They may wait it out in the mean time and fine tune housing or thermals so they can fine tune theirs for a little bit more power. I’m pretty sure they’ve got a very good idea with their simulators on how fast they are at the moment, and it’s probably going to come down to yields and final tape outs. What an exciting month we have.

I’d be really happy if it was 2.5 times as powerful as the pro.

Did you guys knew that?
The Reddit post...
I wrote before about IF2 + HBCC + SSG solution.
No big surprise, but it will be a no frills implementation, even without patching it will receive some notable boost.

Last edited:
Not talking about the yakuza, but reddit post...
What reddit post? Your link is talking about what the Yakuza guy said.

Okay, watched the video for a few minutes and there's a reddit post at 10 minutes. If that's what you wanted to talk about, you should have linked to that.

Anyway, yes, it was covered Saturday. Not discussed here as there's a separate thread for churning through the limitless rumours of the internet in this pre-release trolling era where randoms like to make stuff up for no good reason.

What reddit post? Your link is talking about what the Yakuza guy said.

Okay, watched the video for a few minutes and there's a reddit post at 10 minutes. If that's what you wanted to talk about, you should have linked to that.

Anyway, yes, it was covered Saturday. Not discussed here as there's a separate thread for churning through the limitless rumours of the internet in this pre-release trolling era where randoms like to make stuff up for no good reason.

Well i mentioned Reddit post on the the same post of the video...

Yes, but you linked to a different time stamp that wasn't the reddit post. It really helps conversations to link directly to the content you're wanting to discuss rather than requiring people to go searching for the information. I had to spend three minutes watching the video from your timestamp wondering whether there was a reddit post in there or not, and then the content was actually already covered. A link to that direct timestamp would have meant an immediate view of the content you were asking if was new. Better yet, a screenshot of the reddit post from the video.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US9633471B2/en

A 2015 Sony Interactive Entertainment patent about Photon Mapping

https://carlovloet.wordpress.com/

The guy hired by Sony Interactive Entertainment in 2016 did his thesis on a GPU Photon mapper

I enjoy researching graphics related topics on an academic level and working on my GPU-based Photon Mapping renderer ‘Epicurus‘. I’m especially interested in global illumination algorithms, analyzing the physical properties of various natural optical phenomena and staying updated on new techniques used in the graphics field

If Sony really shit the bed with PS5 and releases a 8-9 tf turd (would probably pleases the mass market) then I highly recommend them give us hardcore fans something like a $599 or even $699 PS5 Infinity Gaunlet version for midgen repentance. A 25 tf console to run next gen games with Raytracing at native 4k with Ultra settings. I don't know how long I can take it without a solid new leak :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back