Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [pre E3 2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's why I raised it, as it's not non-essential. The fast IO needs a processor. Ergo, if Sony are putting a CPU in there anyway, could they use Cell for that and add PS3 BC into the mix?

Nah, Cell is unsuited to the role of an I/O controller. Processors are different beasts from I/O (south/north) bridges.

What's surprising for me this gen is how well MS has managed to kept Scarlett under wraps. There's hints here and there, but nowhere near where we can guess the specs.

Cell is being produced at 22nm for PSNOW (and for the CECH-42xx PS3s while they were still in production) last I heard. How much would a 22nm Cell + 256MB XDR2 cost? More than an Arm processor and 256MB DDR3, but how much more?

I like the idea. I don’t think it will happen though, as outside of whatever storage innovation Sony have going on, I think they are and will continue to play it safe hardware wise. BC is hugely important to me though. I have a PS4 Pro and a Xbox One X. Pretty much all my friends are on PS4, so my X1X is basically a BC machine. I have a weakness for X enhanced 360 games.

Cell is being produced at 22nm for PSNOW (and for the CECH-42xx PS3s while they were still in production) last I heard. How much would a 22nm Cell + 256MB XDR2 cost? More than an Arm processor and 256MB DDR3, but how much more?

I like the idea. I don’t think it will happen though, as outside of whatever storage innovation Sony have going on, I think they are and will continue to play it safe hardware wise. BC is hugely important to me though. I have a PS4 Pro and a Xbox One X. Pretty much all my friends are on PS4, so my X1X is basically a BC machine. I have a weakness for X enhanced 360 games.
What MS has done is commendable for sure, and if Sony wants to go a similar route, they can adapt the open source RPCS3. It claims around 40% playable rate. I’m sure they could get that higher and target optimization, just as MS has done.

Based on the results of the bellow video (using 14 cell), you guys really believe Cell can do quality Ray Tracing for the needs of next gen?
Shure, it would be better than nothing...

What MS has done is commendable for sure, and if Sony wants to go a similar route, they can adapt the open source RPCS3. It claims around 40% playable rate. I’m sure they could get that higher and target optimization, just as MS has done.
RPCS3 clearly isn't robust enough. They'd have to test individual titles etc., with a maintenance cost. If Sony are going to manage PS3 emulation, they'll have to have some impressive internal emulator. I wouldn't put it past them.

Based on the results of the bellow video (using 14 cell), you guys really believe Cell can do quality Ray Tracing for the needs of next gen?
Shure, it would be better than nothing...
That's pure tracing. Cell in PS5 would be an acceleration structure. The GPU would still do all the shading etc., but the Cell would do the intersect tests. Or lighting tracing for deferred recombination. Or something.

Furthermore, that was raw, brute-force tracing instead of sampling but a small fraction of the screen and denoising. Raytracing solutions have come on a fair way since 2007.

RPCS3 clearly isn't robust enough. They'd have to test individual titles etc., with a maintenance cost. If Sony are going to manage PS3 emulation, they'll have to have some impressive internal emulator. I wouldn't put it past them.

That's pure tracing. Cell in PS5 would be an acceleration structure. The GPU would still do all the shading etc., but the Cell would do the intersect tests. Or lighting tracing for deferred recombination. Or something.

Furthermore, that was raw, brute-force tracing instead of sampling but a small fraction of the screen and denoising. Raytracing solutions have come on a fair way since 2007.
They could make RPCS3 robust enough. It’s open source, and there’s no point in reinventing wheels. They used an open source emulator on the PS Classic, after all.

You can get them for free? :oops:

WHERE?

https://www.resetera.com/threads/playstation-classic-is-being-offered-for-free-here.98118/

upload_2019-5-24_10-2-56.png

https://www.resetera.com/threads/do...assic-prove-that-sony-has-no-classics.117203/

But, given how disastrous the sales for the Playstation Classic are, heavy discounts reaching $30 and less to try and move units, being offered for free with every purchase of a PS4, and over 1000 people choosing to get a free DS4 over it in this thread I created back in February:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/playstation-classic-is-being-offered-for-free-here.98118/

What does that tell us about the Playstation brand in terms of a strong catalogue that endures generations? Did the system need more the 24 years for it to be considered classic?

Ok, so not actually free. I don't think the poor sales reflect the PlayStation brand but just that people didn't want to pay to replay the weird selection of games Sony chose. I definitely struggle replaying original PlayStation (and also many PS2 games) because visually they are so incredibly janky and controls are so bad compared to what we're used to now. I reckon a PS2 Classic which included the Ratchet & Clank trilogy would do much better. Those damn games hold up so well and I still replay them on my Kodi box - admittedly with the emulator smoothing some of the graphics out! :yes:

The only oriignal PS game I find myself able to get past is G-Police and I'm so disappointed that never got a decent sequel or reboot.

There's a large divide between what people think of "playing older games" versus what the possibilities are. That divide is the difference between having a separate console, whether it's the previous generation PSX/PS2/PS3 or a mini retro-emulator, one needs to turn on to play the older games and playing them on your single next-gen console. There's substantially less hurdles to playing older games when they're yet another game listed in your game library. Sony Gamers will warm to the actual experience of playing older games once Sony provides it on PS5, just as Microsoft Gamers already have.

Sony Gamers will warm to the actual experience of playing older games once Sony provides it on PS5, just as Microsoft Gamers already have.

Maybe, maybe not. I believe Sony would chase monetisation if interest in playing 2-3 generation old PlayStation games was significant enough. It would explain why nobody, including Nintendo who until very recently were taking down YouTube videos of their first party games, can't be bothered to shut down emulation projects and sites linking to imagines of their own games - and Nintendo's classic console actually sold a decent amount!

But 2D games scaled better than early 3D which looks like arse. It's why pixel art in modern games works but why nobody is making 3D games of the quality of the 3D capabilities of the original PlayStation or PS2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back