Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [pre E3 2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
My only reservations about Lockhart being what amounts to a 1X with a better CPU is that I feel like that's a tough sell to anyone who already owns an X. I know 1X owners would be the minority of Xbox One owners, but I would also argue that they are probably the most likely to be early adapters, and if you can't show they how much better a new generation is they aren't going to make the leap.

Perhaps Lockhart launches later, with Anaconda launching alongside PS5 getting the "most powerful" good press and Lockhart launching later as the value option a little later. Sort of like video cards are marketed.
Early adopters & 1X owners are more likely to go for Anaconda, 1S and second system buyers would be the Lockhart.

Maybe I should've added who the target audience was.
Lockhart
  • 1S owners
  • Second system purchases
  • Casual gamers (including possibly people who don't get to game much any more so find it hard to justify expensive new gen console)
  • Students, kids, lower budget buyers
  • 1080p tvs
  • Willing to except slightly lower visual IQ on 4k

Anaconda
  • Core Xbox fan
  • Core gamers
  • Stereotypical early adopters
  • Wanting best Xbox 4k experience
  • 1X owners

Lockhart is an improved 1S in terms of who it's aimed at. Regardless of power.
Anaconda improved replacement for 1X.

Last edited:
"... a customized ultra-fast, broadband SSD."
http://lightnvm.io and https://openchannelssd.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

Summary: Remove the intelligent controller, expose the raw flash channels to the OS. "Software defined flash storage". Similar to removing an "intelligent" RAID controller and passing the disks to the OS. The OS/app knows better than the (RAID or flash) controller what it's doing with the data. A database might prefer to know about the disk/flash topology instead of being presented a flat flash/RAID device of unknown properties.

Cons: you're now responsible for wear leveling and all the other fun stuffs the controller was doing.
Pros: Control. Possibly price, your "controller" is now as stupid as possible.

A standard physical format 4x PCIe 4.0 M.2 with a "cheaper" controller might be the way to have your cake and eat it too: a standard physical and software interface for price, a 100% custom interface between your flash channels and your app/game for outstanding performance.

Or frankly, just dgaf and use it in FreeBSD NVMe normal mode. The pain of having a new API for storage access sounds stupid, FreeBSD has enough storage APIs as it is. And I'd venture the difference from NVMe to OpenChannelSSD is a small step compared to the generational change of going from 5400rpm lowest bidder HD to a PCIe 4.0 lowest bidder NVMe.

https://www.myce.com/news/chinese-manufacturer-announces-open-channel-ssds-84846/

And open channel SSD no problem with basic operations, they are done by the controller

Open-channel drives are either in the U.2 or PCIe card form-factor and only handle some basic flash operations. Wear leveling, error handling and S.M.A.R.T health management is performed by the controller chip in the drive

Microsoft recently also announced support for open-channel SSDs.

Last edited:
Most Xbox One X owners aren't going to be looking at the low cost nextgen console, so no need to worry about Lockhart.

Says you. ;)

I have an X1X & depending on what the next gen provides over the X1X I might want to jump in with the low-cost Lockhart knowing the Anaconda is just an expensive 4K beast version.

Tommy McClain

Says you. ;)

I have an X1X & depending on what the next gen provides over the X1X I might want to jump in with the low-cost Lockhart knowing the Anaconda is just an expensive 4K beast version.

Tommy McClain
I've got 1X, 4k pj, 4k tv, atmos and I may still also go Lockhart. Can afford Anaconda but just don't game enough to possibly justify it.
If Anaconda gives an improved BC experience compared to Lockhart then that could be deciding factor.

I'm in no rush to upgrade to next gen yet either, at least based upon what little we know. X1X is holding well. If by E3 2020 they give entirely different reasons to upgrade I'll do it and toss my old XBO for it. But Like you Jay and AzBat, barely enough time as it is to play. Tempted to just ride game pass for casual gaming now and ride out the X1X for a while longer until price points are way down.

My only reservations about Lockhart being what amounts to a 1X with a better CPU is that I feel like that's a tough sell to anyone who already owns an X. I know 1X owners would be the minority of Xbox One owners, but I would also argue that they are probably the most likely to be early adapters, and if you can't show they how much better a new generation is they aren't going to make the leap.

XboneX owners wouldn't be Lockhart's target segment anyways.

Most Xbox One X owners aren't going to be looking at the low cost nextgen console, so no need to worry about Lockhart.
MS wants some of the PS4/PRO back to their consoles, and obviously every iteration has a new group of children that's introduced to it, mama and papa will likely not give the most expensive console to them depending on the avaliability of the older generation, etc, lockhart could be "a new cheapest home console"

Put my thoughts together last week, didn't see a dedicated thread so following others. Predictions:

PS5
  • 10TF Navi
  • 16GB GDDR6
  • Zen 2 8c16t 2.8Ghz
  • 1TB Big push on SS, as xbox 1P limited by pc so they have greater scope of how they can use it above and beyond simply loading and streaming assets faster.
  • $450
  • PS5 boost mode.

Why is PS5 at 10 Tflops when the most believable rumours (if there is such a thing) claim the devkit is at 13?

We have a believable rumor now?

Actually I find that Benji-sales is a trustworthy guy. And he claimed he knew PS5 devkits were 13 Tflops.
I find that rumour more trustworthy than one comming from an unknown, or unidentified source.

So, it’s not a belivable rumour... it’s a more believable rumour, as I stated!

What was it someone called it? Concrete rumours? Yeah that was it.

You should not joke about rumours. They are a valuable source of information.

Due to them Here’s what we know for shure about the next gen consoles

CPUs: Zen, Zen 2 or Zen 3, or even a custom version mixing some of them.
GPUs: Between 5 and 14.2 tflops
Architecture: Either Vega, Navi, or Arcturus (if there is such architecture)
RAM: GDDR6, HBM2 or HBM3, maybe even with DDR4
Capacity between 12 and 32GB of RAM
Storage: SSD, SSD+, SSD NVMe, or something hybrid with a capacity between 1 and 4 TB
Ray Tracing: Hardware or software based.
Price: From 249$ to 499$.

You want to bet they got it right? :cool::D
That’s why rumours are great. :LOL:;)

Last edited:
A few Gflops difference with a 10 Tflop machine would be virtually meaningless in a development environment.

Regards,
SB

Xbox One X Devkit has 10% more. 10% of 10 Tflops would be 1 Tflop. Not 3!

But thank you anyway. There is no proof the PS5 devkit is 13 Tflops, so i’m making a pointless discussion.

Last edited:
Actually I find that Benji-sales is a trustworthy guy. And he claimed he knew PS5 devkits were 13 Tflops.
I find that rumour more trustworthy than one comming from an unknown, or unidentified source.

So, it’s not a belivable rumour... it’s a more believable rumour, as I stated!

The "almost 13 Tflops" was from a tweet he very quickly deleted and then followed up with this in 3 tweets:

Oops
Please ignore previous Tweet. Wont be doing that again
1f44d.png

Honestly nothing to make note of or worthwhile from that Tweet that's why I deleted it. Was a mistake posting it Really not worth focusing on.

(Haven't posted enough to be able to post links :p)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back