Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [pre E3 2019] *spawn*

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thought I keep having is could we see expensive, high bandwidth GDDR6 used at launch and a switch to HBM in 18 months post launch as a cost savings. And if so, couldn't an accounting case be made for a 'loss' at launch knowing that margins would rise substantially around 18 months in.

Rumour: Developer talks about their tests with PS5 and Anaconda.

Testing of Next Gen PlayStation and Xbox Dev Kits

I work in the Tools group at a developer large enough to now have the early next gen PS and XBX dev kits.

- The Sony inserts made a big deal about their high-speed storage, and they included a demo of Spider-Man that I assume is the same one that Cerny referenced. We have our own game data asset “loading/streaming” stress test, and we ran this for both dev kits. The PS showed a major performance advantage of approximately 30% faster loading until the highest resolution textures were enabled, which brought the performance down much closer to what the XBX showed. While they both have SSDs, it does seem that the PS may have some special magic or “sauce” to gain some additional advantage here.

- Sony also mentioned next gen audio in their inserts and included some sample demos. Whatever they are doing here does sound and almost “feel” like next gen Sonrisa The audio demo included a toggle to enable/disable RT.

- The Xbox inserts mentioned an architectural focus (combination of hardware/software) for RT, AI and frame rate. The only sample demo application provided appears to be an updated version of that ‘Insects’ demo that they released for the Xbox One X. I have to admit that this little demo is pretty crazy what the lighting and shadows look like in this.

- our internal demo stress test application (think ridiculous number of graphic and physics effects being applied) against bWe ranoth dev kits, attempting to target 60 fps. Both seemed to be the same locked 60 performance at 1080p and 1440p. XBX showed a performance difference at 4K on our test at least. It was able to maintain a nearly locked 60 with only an occasional dip, with the PS in the low 50s.

- We also have a DirectX 12 specific performance test that we run and profile using the Microsoft PIX. The XBX was able to render at 4K resolution with nearly locked 60 fps for a demo that we have run with wildly inconsistent results using even the more powerful current desktop graphic cards.

My headline: "Anaconda eats the winning horse and wagerers aren't happy".

"special magic or “sauce” "more powerful current desktop graphic cards."

giphy.gif

Oh one of those new pastebin/4chan rumors, yeah there's been like 10 of those in the last 7 days. It almost feels like every new one is trying to one up the last one depends where the poster's console alliance lies :LOL:. One day it's PS5 leading by 30% while the next day sees XB edging by 1/3, I'm gonna start posting mine soon just for funz.

Rumour: Developer talks about their tests with PS5 and Anaconda.

He's calling the next Xbox XBX?
Sounds pretty stupid since that's what many outlets already call the XBoneX.

Maybe he was comparing PS5 DevKit to Xbox One X DevKit.

:runaway:

I love these fake leaks that talk about dev's internal tests as if making and running them was like installing a game in your new PC and clicking some extra checkboxes to see what framerate you can get. Completely unaware of how game development actually happens.

I love these fake leaks that talk about dev's internal tests as if making and running them was like installing a game in your new PC and clicking some extra checkboxes to see what framerate you can get. Completely unaware of how game development actually happens.

I can't really see how that applies to Cyan's "leak". That sounds like a potential real report to me. Without knowing real details about these kits how can anybody really judge this one to be fantasy?

P.S. I haven't done game development but worked on embedded OS design, driver work, bootstrapping and tools. Measuring the performance of these DevKits with some stress tests done for previous systems sounds pretty normal to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back