The Official, Long Awaited, TV Shows Thread

The problem to me is that by ending like this, many threads that had been developing for bloody years were practically rendered completely irrelevant. This started a couple of episodes back of course.

On this one last episodes there were so many inconsistencies!

The dragon burning the throne, like he would know what it all meant? And if he did know what was going on the whole time with these human dramas, why wouldn’t he swat Jon like a fly there and then to avenge his own mother and queen?

Jon being a Targaryen was, ultimately, completely irrelevant. Why was he a Targaryen? So that we would be grossed out at him shagging his aunt? OOOOOOOH SHOCK HORROR! So that he could ride a dragon because he’s Jon Snow and the writers couldn’t possibly leave all the fun to a woman?! Nothing really changed in the end if he hadn’t been just a bastard from god knows where.

So many other Meh moments to go through, so little time.

And, I really didn’t wanna go there but I’m really going there now - the sexism of it all!

In the end all the big female characters in the show have either died or stepped aside (or sent away in Arya’s case) to make way to a council made up of men, except for Brianne which in the last few scenes was used to talk about brothels in response to horny men - god forbid she’s have anything to add of her own accord - and then the very last scene dedicated to her covering or excusing a man who literally fucked her and then betrayed her to go to some other horrible woman!!!!!

This, after 7 seasons where women ruled the whole entire show? Can’t have that, must be corrected at all costs, thought the writers. What’s that? Female empowerment? Never heard!

I can’t.

now we have an inkling why GRRM is taking so long, if he's not deliberate and thorough this is what we get

Arya wasn't sent away. She took charge of her own destiny and sailed westwards. We have a queen of the North (and nobody objected). A cripple sits on the throne (I think being crippled holds more victim currency than being female in the progressive pecking order, you ableist pig ;) ). A dwarf is his right man. And the first ever lady knight sits at the table as well. The person who got shafted in the end was Jon Snow. Doesn't really sound that sexist to me. I think a Canadian-sytle ruling body with a 50-50 sexual quota would've been a little hard to swallow considering Westeros was more or less a real patriachy up until the moment of coronation.
As for Brianne's writing: that was simply a desperate attempt of the show runners to give Jaime's thoroughly fucked up character ark a little bit of closure. Besides, if we're weighing up the deaths of important males against important female characters in the show, the dudes win by a fucking countrymile.

The whole thing was just dumb. Glad it's over now.

Watched the season finale of Gotham season 3 yesterday and was delighted how well the whole thing was wrapped up. Really sad how a cheesy super hero prequel show effortlessly managed to upstage the "greatest event in tv history".

Last edited:
The dragon burning the throne, like he would know what it all meant? And if he did know what was going on the whole time with these human dramas, why wouldn’t he swat Jon like a fly there and then to avenge his own mother and queen?

A colleague of mine has a neat theory about that: Bran was warging into the Dragon.

Regarding female empowerment, I can't see your complaints. Sansa is King in the North, Arya is in charge of her destiny and gets to continue her life as a badass (much better than marrying Gendry) and Brienne is an advisor to Bran. Unless you were really rooting for Daenerys to sit on the throne?

Yes, Jon Snow's parentage was completely pointless for the character itself, it was only a plot device to drive Daenerys to her fate.

A colleague of mine has a neat theory about that: Bran was warging into the Dragon.

Then the next question comes to mind...

If Bran knew that this would happen all along, as is implied when he says that he came all that way to be the king, did he then know (and never tried to stop or even go WUT?) that Dani would kill what, a million innocent people so that he could be king? And ultimately he looks very pleased that it all happened? That kind of changes his character quite a bit, considering that up until then he didn't feel/want/anything as the three eyed raven...

now we have an inkling why GRRM is taking so long, if he's not deliberate and thorough this is what we get

The problem is that now the show has concluded, Martin's upcoming works will undoubtedly be influenced by it to some degree or another. Even if he decides to purposely flip whatever happened on its head. You know, like Ryan Johnson did in his fan theory response film The Last Jedi.

Then the next question comes to mind...

If Bran knew that this would happen all along, as is implied when he says that he came all that way to be the king, did he then know (and never tried to stop or even go WUT?) that Dani would kill what, a million innocent people so that he could be king? And ultimately he looks very pleased that it all happened? That kind of changes his character quite a bit, considering that up until then he didn't feel/want/anything as the three eyed raven...
It's worse than that. He time-travelled to the time of the night king creation and he was mind-controlling him the whole time (so that's why he let Arya kill him). He probably mind-controlled the children of the forest that created him with black magic as well.

The problem is that now the show has concluded, Martin's upcoming works will undoubtedly be influenced by it to some degree or another. Even if he decides to purposely flip whatever happened on its head. You know, like Ryan Johnson did in his fan theory response film The Last Jedi.

It would be interesting if someone asked him straight out whether or not this was the ending to the saga that he fleshed out to B&W.

It would be interesting if someone asked him straight out whether or not this was the ending to the saga that he fleshed out to B&W.

He already addressed it in his latest blog post:

And I’m writing. Winter is coming, I told you, long ago… and so it is. THE WINDS OF WINTER is very late, I know, I know, but it will be done. I won’t say when, I’ve tried that before, only to burn you all and jinx myself… but I will finish it, and then will come A DREAM OF SPRING.

How will it all end? I hear people asking. The same ending as the show? Different?

Well… yes. And no. And yes. And no. And yes. And no. And yes.

I am working in a very different medium than David and Dan, never forget. They had six hours for this final season. I expect these last two books of mine will fill 3000 manuscript pages between them before I’m done… and if more pages and chapters and scenes are needed, I’ll add them. And of course the butterfly effect will be at work as well; those of you who follow this Not A Blog will know that I’ve been talking about that since season one. There are characters who never made it onto the screen at all, and others who died in the show but still live in the books… so if nothing else, the readers will learn what happened to Jeyne Poole, Lady Stoneheart, Penny and her pig, Skahaz Shavepate, Arianne Martell, Darkstar, Victarion Greyjoy, Ser Garlan the Gallant, Aegon VI, and a myriad of other characters both great and small that viewers of the show never had the chance to meet. And yes, there will be unicorns… of a sort…

Book or show, which will be the “real” ending? It’s a silly question. How many children did Scarlett O’Hara have?

How about this? I’ll write it. You read it. Then everyone can make up their own mind, and argue about it on the internet.

The answer is probably that yes, this is the ending he envisioned. The biggest difference is he'll have enough time to describe all the character transformations so they don't all look like they became bipolar and stupid over night.

I'm guessing that Dreams of Spring will be fully devoted to events that happen after the army of the dead is defeated (makes sense from the title), meaning he'll have the equivalent of another 2 seasons to wrap up the story from there, where the show had 3 episodes to accomplish the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
I fully expect the ending to be pretty much the same in general terms (mad queen, bran king etc), however it’s clear that the execution of it will be an order of magnitude better. Which would have saved the show, but this is what we got so *shrug*

GoT was always about the *everything in between*, and there will be a lot of time and space in the books to get that right.

Heard that HBO originally planned for the show to run for 10 seasons, but then the two lead writers landed themselves a sweet Star Wars gig and wanted to get the thing off their backs as quickly as possible, no matter the cost.

That's on HBO then, isn't it? Should have written the contract more tightly.

Sure. But if it's actually true, that would really explain a lot. If you're this eager to abandon ship, you probably weren't particularly invested in it for a good long while.

Well, given how ground-breaking the show was at the time it started, I'm guessing that HBO wanted the option to pull the plug after 1, 2, 3... seasons if it tanked. Why would B&W sign a contract that would allow HBO to do that, but then also tie them in to ten seasons without an out if it went well?

So B&W got to the end of S7, saw the inevitable end of the road, and had to decide whether to sacrifice a golden opportunity in their career to complete a half-arsed vision of a guy who can't be bothered to finished his own series of books.

Any sane person in that situation would choose to wrap things up and move on. The show-runners have, the cast have. I can see why this upsets fans. The fans live in Westeros, the producers and cast live in the real world.

Heard that HBO originally planned for the show to run for 10 seasons, but then the two lead writers landed themselves a sweet Star Wars gig and wanted to get the thing off their backs as quickly as possible, no matter the cost.

I don't buy that. Why wouldn't HBO just get new writers if they wanted 10 seasons? It's not like they were the actual creators of the story to begin with and there were several directors making different episodes anyway. Plus, contrary to what you might think D&D were barely on set at all. The time they spent with the show was mostly on post production, AFAIK. Hardly something they could not do in tandem with Star Wars.

Nah... He didn't deserve it, in the end. Sansa stood up for the North far better than Jon.

She cleverly played her game to win the battle of the bastards (and she later did great again, along with Arya, to get rid of Littlefinger), gave good advice to both Jon and Daenerys regarding their people and they both payed the consequences for not following it, and made her position pretty clear every time the North's sovereignty seemed to be compromised. In the meantime, Jon just seemed a puppet in Daenerys' hands.

I don't buy that. Why wouldn't HBO just get new writers if they wanted 10 seasons? It's not like they were the actual creators of the story to begin with and there were several directors making different episodes anyway. Plus, contrary to what you might think D&D were barely on set at all. The time they spent with the show was mostly on post production, AFAIK. Hardly something they could not do in tandem with Star Wars.

Here's another thing I heard: Martin only greenlit the post-book GoT era because writing duo Benioff and Weisz figured out Jon Snow's parental lineage. And then he handed over the responsibility to Benioff and Weisz exclusively. No other writers allowed contractually.
You're right, though. Unless HBO's legal team fucked up monumentally this all sounds rather unlikely.

Back