Microsoft and Sony Cloud Entertainment and Technology Collaboration [2019-05]

It's good for Microsoft but not necessarily the Xbox division though. Xbox loses the massive competitive advantage of Azure when it comes to streaming.

Should they keep pursuing their own hardware, then they can always find ways to make sure their own hardware benefits more ... If it becomes a success, it just means that Sony now depends on Microsoft and if Sony does well, so does Microsoft. So not a bad position for them to be in.

This partnership may well not amount to much if Google Stadia fails (wouldn't be the first Google balloon to deflate and fall back to earth, after all). But if it does, I'm wondering if they'll ever release hardware, they'll just keep the Playstation brand (I would).

However, it's fun to make up names. Inspired by a Eurogamerthread, my current favorite and own suggestion would be

PlayBox S 3XY Pro

If it becomes a success, it just means that Sony now depends on Microsoft and if Sony does well, so does Microsoft. So not a bad position for them to be in.

Yup. This can only be good for Microsoft it's just that from a purely Xbox division standpoint they lose a massive competitive advantage but that won't bother Microsoft at all because they just gained the biggest gaming customer and with there own Xbox division that makes Azure untouchable when it comes to game streaming expansion potential.

I suppose if AWS and Google cloud didn't exist they might not of gone into partnership with Sony.

It's Azure, not XBox (unvalidated). Comment from EG article.

View attachment 3087
This is what I suspected.

It would be funny if Sony cloud streaming ended up being better than Xbox.
Now that they will both be using same data centers optimized for latency it will come down to codecs, software stack, a lot of things that Sony could have been working on and analysing with psnow.

Basically its not a given that Xbox streaming will be better, even though they are both housed out of Azure data centres.

(not saying I think Sony will be better)

I thought this was obvious? That's why I've said it's not the best thing from a Xbox division stand point.

Yea I've seen that you've agreed with me a few times regarding this as I've highlighted this few times in couple threads.
Not sure what else you mean or referring to when you say obvious though?
You mean it should be obvious to everyone this is the case? I don't see why it would be.

Yea I've seen that you've agreed with me a few times regarding this as I've highlighted this few times in couple threads.
Not sure what else you mean or referring to when you say obvious though?
You mean it should be obvious to everyone this is the case? I don't see why it would be.

Sorry I thought I had quoted Shiftys previous post. It was in regards to this.
It's Azure, not XBox (unvalidated). Comment from EG article.

View attachment 3087

So the obvious statement was in regards to it's not an Xbox thing but an Azure business decision.

Psnow was going to exist no matter what Ms was cooking (xcloud), This way Ms as a company benefits from one of the top players in the industry. Nintendo next? lol

The easiest way would be Sony installing their hardware in the data centres, the same way it´s done today, The ps3 streaming way, or current XBone chips.
But to me for next gen this would be too wasteful, either you over provision and expensive hard it´s idling, or you fall short and the service it´s sub-par.

The ideal way, would be next gen Xcloud being a superset of anaconda and the ps5 (it´s not that far fetched) and running their own VM for either customer, being Sony or Xbox.

Makes sense, they must both have a ton of complementary patents for streaming games.

How so ?

Microsoft quadrupled revenue and income during his reign. When he took over, Microsoft was predicted to have modest growth because the PC market had saturated; MS pushed into the server space, he personally backed XBox internally and Azure was conceived under him. MS fumbled smart phones, but so did almost everybody else, - overall MS became fairly diversified during his tenure. The stock price is three times higher today than when he retired, but revenue is only up 50% and income is down (hint: we're in a bubble).

Cheers

Just to add to that from a consumer experience standpoint. While it's somewhat nice that Microsoft under Nadella now iterates on Windows much faster, that has led to a massive increase in bugs, unfinished components (Edge was never remotely finished and now they've abandoned the core engine and are moving it to Chromium), and stability issues. And the move to a more Mobile platform UI for everything has made it somewhat more difficult for professional users (older control panel still accessible but now hidden.) The new UI settings while on the surface have the new UI look, many of them still hook into the older and far more capable interface.

Great for the investors, not so much for consumers, IMO. But then again maybe it was needed for them to keep pace with mobile platforms.

Ballmer gets a bad rap due to investor propaganda and his close ties to the Gates era Microsoft, IMO. And while Nadella deserves a lot of credit for modernizing the culture at MS, raising company morale and massively increasing R&D in computing for people with disabilities; he's benefitting massively from many of the initiatives that Ballmer started and pushed.

Regards,
SB

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019...ght-off-guard-by-microsoft-cloud-partnership/

Report: Sony employees caught off guard by Microsoft cloud partnership
Decision reportedly came after discussions with Amazon fell through.

Though Sony confirmed to Bloomberg that talks between the two console giants had been going on since last year, the announcement still caught rank-and-file employees at Sony off guard, according to Bloomberg's sources. "Managers had to calm workers and assure them that plans for the company’s next-generation console weren’t affected," as Bloomberg summarizes the view from inside the company.

Bloomberg's sources suggest that Sony was at one point discussing expanding its cloud gaming ambitions through Amazon Web Services, which already hosts the infrastructure for PlayStation Network's online gaming. One person "familiar with the matter" told Bloomberg the two companies "couldn’t agree on commercial terms" for the deal. Amazon is planning to launch its own cloud-based gaming service soon, according to a January report from The Information.

That's unfortunate, seems like MS teams were well informed of the deal.
As per the notes here: #5

and here

Back