The Official, Long Awaited, TV Shows Thread

So... better, or worse than Avengers: Endgame? :p

I can safely say that Endgame is the most satisfying, brilliantly written and intelligent conclusion to any long saga that I can think of, and I’ve seen a lot of movies and TV shows - I do consider the MCU as a kind of long TV show made of many movies so I think it counts.

I never thought the final episodes and therefore the final season of something as hugely influential as GOT would be so disastrously disappointing in so many different ways. I was still in the game up until episode 4. For sure I was still fully on board after the end of ep 3, even though many were already complaining.

I never thought the final episodes and therefore the final season of something as hugely influential as GOT would be so disastrously disappointing in so many different ways. I was still in the game up until episode 4. For sure I was still fully on board after the end of ep 3, even though many were already complaining.

My feeling is that the pacing has been inconsistent throughout, particularly in the middle few seasons that seemed interminable. Realistically the title wasn't going to get more than 8 or 9 seasons. I dare say that some die-hard fans would have liked it to go on for several dozen seasons, but by then the studio, producers, actors and half the audience would have had enough.

It was so far behind the curve by the end of S4 that the remaining seasons were always going to be compromised. It's shame. It has no doubt been a ground-breaking series that has changed the perception of what's possible in TV production.

My feeling is that the pacing has been inconsistent throughout, particularly in the middle few seasons that seemed interminable. Realistically the title wasn't going to get more than 8 or 9 seasons. I dare say that some die-hard fans would have liked it to go on for several dozen seasons, but by then the studio, producers, actors and half the audience would have had enough.

It was so far behind the curve by the end of S4 that the remaining seasons were always going to be compromised. It's shame. It has no doubt been a ground-breaking series that has changed the perception of what's possible in TV production.

I agree, a lot of the problem is just pacing. The other is just plain inconsistencies. No spoilers, but even in this last episode, a couple of the cuts from one scene to the next make you go “oh, ok? What?” and not in a good way, because it just makes so little sense.

Episode 1 & 2 were already boring, episode 8 was inevitably bad. So many missed opportunities and inconsistencies in the whole 8th season with so many promising characters and situations. Everything from the previous 7 seasons was wasted.

They could have done the same exact end (ideally it should have being another end
killing the night king should have happened in the last episode
) with very different methods but apparently the producers were focused on making good cinematography and great CGI effects. They botched the script and story.

But really in the end it's Martin's fault. He should have finished his story. He let US TV producers finish his story.

I'm happy the night king died relatively early, he and the dead were just boring. Inexorable death that can't be reasoned with is boring. Yes yes global warming metaphor but you don't end global warming by stabbing a piece of coal

Since the pacing was so off since the books ran out, I'm fine with the finale. Now let's forget about that and read the books! <i beseech thee grrm ************** live long and prosper *********>

I can safely say that Endgame is the most satisfying, brilliantly written and intelligent conclusion to any long saga that I can think of, and I’ve seen a lot of movies and TV shows - I do consider the MCU as a kind of long TV show made of many movies so I think it counts.

Have you seen the end of Buffy the Vampire Slayer? The ending of the first three seasons was also really great, but I loved that 7th season ending, so utterly satisfying.

Just watched GoT finale. I think it was perfect, excellent wrap up to both Daenerys and the fate of Westeros. Beautiful final episode to a magnificent series.

Since the pacing was so off since the books ran out, I'm fine with the finale.

<pedant>If it was dragonglass, surely it was not coal. The formation mechanisms for obsidian and coal are completely different.</pedant>

I'm honestly not convinced by this. In his books GRRM has the luxury of an infinite word budget (so much so that it seems that one volume was unbindable). For the TV series this was never the case, and all involved should have taken this on board at the outset. The pacing was off before the books ran out, because it was following the books.

Have you seen the end of Buffy the Vampire Slayer? The ending of the first three seasons was also really great, but I loved that 7th season ending, so utterly satisfying.

Huge Buffy fan here so I’m all for it. I did think that season 7 was not quite as good as the heights of S4, 5 or 6, but at least it ended in a satisfactory way and it never turned the show into something different. The writing was always, always top notch.

<pedant>If it was dragonglass, surely it was not coal. The formation mechanisms for obsidian and coal are completely different.</pedant>

I'm honestly not convinced by this. In his books GRRM has the luxury of an infinite word budget (so much so that it seems that one volume was unbindable). For the TV series this was never the case, and all involved should have taken this on board at the outset. The pacing was off before the books ran out, because it was following the books.
Hello mister misunderstanding pedant:
night king killed by arya with valerian steel no or dragonglass who can remember so far back. end of white walkers and no more death of all from them only from ourselves aww. in our world: global warming, represented by a piece of coal in my stupid analogy. stab a piece of coal with a knife or fork or spork? global warming no stop, and more badness and sadness and maybe death of all.

i am so sorry

Like I said, I always expected Daenerys to do this, I was not shocked in the least. The writing was on the the wall all the time.

Hahahahaha

y4o9yZl.jpg

Well, I think the events in the last episode are mostly ok and a "good" closing of the story taking into account the whole season.

Taking into account the whole season, with its great deal of flaws, I mean, most of which we already discussed here.

There were some satisfactory moments, such as when Sansa stood up for the North, again, making clear that the North was to be independent again. She became queen. She deserved it.

Arya going on adventures was pretty cool, as well.

And Jon ending up in the Night's Watch again was, well... quite appropriate, since he's stupid as fuck and maybe the massacre at King's Landing could have been avoided if he had taken the good path instead of choosing being Daenerys' pup.

Bran in the throne is ok, even though he's boring AF.

Hello mister misunderstanding pedant:
night king killed by arya with valerian steel no or dragonglass who can remember so far back. end of white walkers and no more death of all from them only from ourselves aww. in our world: global warming, represented by a piece of coal in my stupid analogy. stab a piece of coal with a knife or fork or spork? global warming no stop, and more badness and sadness and maybe death of all.

i am so sorry

Ah, OK. That makes more sense.

Well, I think the events in the last episode are mostly ok and a "good" closing of the story taking into account the whole season.

Taking into account the whole season, with its great deal of flaws, I mean, most of which we already discussed here.

There were some satisfactory moments, such as when Sansa stood up for the North, again, making clear that the North was to be independent again. She became queen. She deserved it.

Arya going on adventures was pretty cool, as well.

And Jon ending up in the Night's Watch again was, well... quite appropriate, since he's stupid as fuck and maybe the massacre at King's Landing could have been avoided if he had taken the good path instead of choosing being Daenerys' pup.

Bran in the throne is ok, even though he's boring AF.
It was not a bad end. Just very average.

Summary of the end:
- Dany goes crazy and kill tons of people
- Jon wakes from the limbo he is since end of season 7 and kills Dany
- Tyrion is elected hand against his wishes to punish him of his past mistakes, basically every advice he gave young Dany were bad
- Jon leaves Westeros and goes with the wildings north of the wall in the heart of winter, without food, on his poor horse doomed to die because of the extreme cold.
- Sansa undeservely becomes king in the north because it's cool (she is a woman) and his brother is king of the south and he'll agree to everything she wants.
- Lords of Westeros elect Bran to be their king because it's better than the democracy (ugh) threatened by Tyrion. But that's OK cause Bran is the biggest murderer of Westeros history so he perfectly deserves being the King of Westeros.

Indeed he could have avoided the useless massacre of 1 million people with his powers but he did nothing to prevent that even if he knew what would happen: Bran to Jon: "You were exactly where you needed to be." If Jon had agreed to sleep with his aunt after Bran advice:

Bran: "Jon, you should continue banging your auntie, you'll save countless of men, women and children", he would have avoided Dany going crazy but that was too shocking for poor Jon who much prefers to torture animals to the death with very cold temperatures.

- Finally Bran, in an incredible generous gesture, says he will consider using his powers to find the last Dragon. Indeed he much prefer saving animals than men with his incredibly weak powers (time-traveling, mind control, quasi-omniscience).

Maybe it was bad, all considered...

Last edited:
Back