What are you playing now? [2018-2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read that the aiming with weapons is really bad. Is it ? Nothing more frustrating to me than false difficulty introduced by bad controls...

I think by design it is intentionally not great at the start given there are a bunch of skills to improve firearms accuracy, damage and focus (bullet time). Even before I took the skills, I hit what I intended too! :cool:

Like your ability to improve Deacon's abilities, the guns you have access to early on are crap. As you upgrade your skills, weapons (and the bike), everything feels better and more powerful.

So I haven't been posting here for a while, but I have remained loyal to my PS4 and still occasionally play it despite being mostly quite busy...

My most recent games I've been playing;

- Trials Rising
Ugh. I was really looking forward to this, having been a huge fan of Trials Fusion and clocked hundreds of hours into it (almost Ninja skill level). So I bought this about a week ago and just can't get to like it. The menu stuff is just really cluttered, but looking beyond that, the game just isn't as smooth in gameplay, with heaps of short freezes here and there. If there is one thing about Trials that I've come to expect and love, it's that the focus has always been on rock-solid and smooth gameplay mechanics. Fusion delivered this, yet there is not a single level in Rising that I am yet to encounter that lives up to this. This puts a serious dent on the rest of game unfortunately. The level design is okay so far, not much a fan of the music/soundtrack (too nervous). I am quite disappointed. :(

- Detroit
Started playing this about a week ago too as I picked this one up at a discount. Very nice graphics so far and good plot. Still trying to get into it though, but so far, it's not bad.

- Soul Calibur VI
Awesome game, awesome fighting mechanics, just as the previous ones. Would have hoped for a bit more character creation variety (it's pretty much the same as the last one).

- Gran Turismo (just the last one)
Really like this one. Rock solid, beautiful graphics and the car mechanics are really good. Still find myself going back to this on a regular basis just for a blast around the Nordschleife in my Ferrari GR4 car. I also really like that they keep updating it with new tracks and cars. Really good value so far.

- Tomb Raider (the two last ones)
Oh I don't know. I just don't dig the dumbed down gameplay mechanics of these new reboots. The graphics are nice, the story telling is good, but man do I miss the old atmospheric feel of the old games. I just watched a fan remake of the Tomb Raider 2 intro the other day of the Great Wall of China level and that alone looks better and more true to what Tomb Raider used to be than this new reboots. Just can't get myself to really enjoy the new games. I guess I'm one of those gamers who just really miss what games used to be - you know, when the focus was on great gameplay mechanics and not just story-telling and graphics.

- Battlefield V
I bought it, but I haven't started playing it yet. Shame on me, I know. :(

Picked up Pillars of Eternity... finished Borderlands 1, but I think I’ll alternate with other backlogged games.

Also just started House in Fata Morgana, but it seems like something to play/read while doing some weight lifting or something.

Just recently had a bit more free time and dumped the vast majority of it on Risk of Rain 2. This game can be so incredibly satisfying when you get an incredibly powerful mix of looted items and there are just chain reactions of enemies instantly dying and exploding all around you.

Also, they sold over 1 million copies in their first month. They definitely deserve it.

Regards,
SB

Been trying to catch up on my backlog of older games and I'm trying to concentrate on one game at a time.
Now I am playing Horizon Zero Dawn. I was not super interested in the game when I got it two years ago, but now as I've got further in the game, it's really really great.

After I finish that, I think I'll start either Detroit or Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus, both of which I haven't played a single minute yet.

My goal is to finish these and at least Persona 5, God of War, RDR2, Spiderman, DMC5 and Dragon Quest XI from my backlog before PS5 is launched. Good thing is I've already played most of these at least half way through, but with my current pace I'm not optimistic I'll ever finish them all.

Last edited:
Just showed up today. Still sealed.

zSkUeC1.jpg

Still Days Gone, which is really really really looooong.

After that I'm going to dive into Final Fantasy XII on the Switch. It'll be my first Final Fantasy game and I expect it to make absolutely no sense at all. :LOL:

XII actually is one with a more down to earth story. It's an amazing game and I'd like to play it once more as well. It's just that it's so insanely massive. Like 100+ hours just to finish the story massive.

XII actually is one with a more down to earth story. It's an amazing game and I'd like to play it once more as well. It's just that it's so insanely massive. Like 100+ hours just to finish the story massive.

Yup, but the modern re-release has the option to play the game 2x and 4x faster so that some of grindy/traversal bits can be whizzed through. I'm not a huge fan of turn-based combat so XII's Gambit combat system really appeals.

You can only rely on the 4x speed if you have a party with the right gambits, though. Maybe I just sucked at it, but I remember the game getting pretty difficult fairly early on. I certainly had to micro-manage during combat a whole lot. A 4x increase in speed would have spelled doom for me in lots of cases..
Wonder how this new version handles saving. in the original PS2 game dying often meant huge set backs due to the old school save system.

Has anyone played pathfinder kingmaker? I hear it's great but also super frustrating&difficult. It's super hard core single player isometric d&d game. Apparently whatever you do in the game is very influential to what happens in the world. You can play good/evil/between. Basically you have your typical quests and you also have to manage your kingdom while questing.

Super interested on pathfinder kingmaker but I don't unfortunately have enough time to start new games at the moment. Need to finish some other ones I'm playing first. Still haven't finished divinity original sin2 and I have also druidstone in my queue. Once those are finished maybe it's time for pathfinder kingmaker. Druidstone feels fresh but I only played the tutorial so far so I reserve final judgment for later date. I like how you can switch between characters on your turn to make combat more interesting.

https://druidstone-game.com/

Last edited:
I understand from reviews that the auto-save is a lot more friendly in the 2018/19 remaster. I'm hoping to begin dipping in this weekend. I want to finish Days Gone first but I'm pretty much done with it and the story missions are overly stretched out so I'm at the point where I'm ready to move on to something else and FF XII is that thing.

dragons dogma dark arisen! its really good on switch (too bad mods doesnt work due to different archive), also glad it save-compatible with PC version so i can continue my adventure.

I'm trying Spiderman on ps4pro, but damn I'm bored and not interested at all. It's like the gameplay does nothing for me, the story telling either...
I get it on a sale so I'm not very pissed of, but still...

Playing Kingmaker now. The kingdom management is far too punishing, early game balance is all kinds of broken and it has all the time wasters of western rpgs with lots of loading screens to annoy you. Quite entertaining, but god it wastes a lot of your time ...

My advice :
-Get the DLC and play Varnhold's Lot first, but just use fully custom companions in Varnhold's Lot, the ready made companions have no special dialogue or quests.
-Just play on normal difficulty at least till level 12+ unless you like the challenge of cheesing the game.
-Play a character with decent number of skill points, most skill checks can be done by team members but persuasion and perception quite often check just the PC (occasionally knowledge checks too).
-Get kingdom resolution mod and turn on the option to resolve all projects which the PC has to help with in a single day.
-Get bag of tricks mod and double encumbrance limits.
-Get Eldritch Arcana mod cause it's good.
-Consider Respecialization mod if you know the pathfinder rules and some of the companion builds annoy you (I respecced Harrim only, with 25 point buy to have some more Charisma for selective channelling and crusader archetype for some more combat feats so he could tank a bit).
-Don't rush Troll Trouble, save the final quest until kindom problem events start coming up faster than you can solve them.
-Make sure you always have 100 BP reserve, preferably 200.

PS. high DC skill checks in storybook events can grant ridiculous amounts of XP.

Last edited:
I'm playing Rage 2 at pretty insanely high settings and it's running fantastic! :D

The game itself is pretty suck though, no immersion factor for me. You can "talk" to a lot of people in town and get missions, but "talk" consists of activating the talk option and then watching a cut-scene dialogue play out between you and whoever, which isn't really "interaction" imho, just exposition. :/

Still, the sheer joy of being able to knock a triple-A title on release is amazing and I love it! Been too damned long.

Resident Evil Remake on the Switch. Still just as fantastic as it was on the Gamecube all these years ago. Immaculately designed down to the last pixel. Port seems indistinguishable from the PS4 version.

Also started RE Zero on the Switch, Still a gorgeous game with backgrounds that held up splendidly (back then on the Gamecube this thing looked unbelievable), but in terms of game design it's kind of a dud. The enemy designs are just plain terrible and campy (giant centipedes, cockroaches, scorpions and monkeys), the narrative shows early signs of the over dramatic anime nonsense which becamse par and parcel for the series from RE4 onwards, a partner system that has you babysit whichever character you're not playing as unless you want him or her to waste all your resources, and worst of all, an inventory system that was probably designed to make things more manageable, yet ended up complicating everything way the hell further. Save for the lengthy loading times, the port is really good as well.

Also tried RE4 on the Switch. Once again a really decent port. Framerate seems to shoot for 60 fps but doesn't quite manage to hold it. Still very playable, though.

Played all of them without the dock so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back