Microsoft and Sony Cloud Entertainment and Technology Collaboration [2019-05]

Very clever war plan. Just a matter of time for Step 3.

1. Embrace
  2. Extend
  3. Extinguish

:runaway:

Sony, they've been aggressive (not a negative) this whole gen and I don't see it changing.
Their gonna get everyone into their ecosystem including cloud and shut down Xbox :runaway:
Ah the famous backdoor attack.

Bravo MS for playing chess (biz strategy well). Them powering PSN and other online services for Playstation is a win for both companies. MS will also know strategic direction of PSN and can be used to better XBL as well.
This is not chess. It's a coop game. You should congratulate them both unless you know something we don't.

Joint Development: It means both invest money, resources, expertise, and patents, for a project in which they both own the resulting technology. Like bluray, or display panels, or the cell, sony does joint development projects all the time in the CE industry with direct competitors (panasonic, sharp, samsung, even toshiba at some point).

There is a lot of tech mentionned being exchanged in the press release. It seems each company had something to contribute for a joint development to be profitable to both.

I could definitely see a great outcome from this focusing in on things like transport protocols and video compression technologies optimized for cloud streaming of games. Currently everyone is using codecs designed for live action and animation.

I'm glad Steve Ballmer was launched into space. Satya Nadella has massively changed the company and its directives for the better. Not the Microsoft of old anymore.

How so ?

Microsoft quadrupled revenue and income during his reign. When he took over, Microsoft was predicted to have modest growth because the PC market had saturated; MS pushed into the server space, he personally backed XBox internally and Azure was conceived under him. MS fumbled smart phones, but so did almost everybody else, - overall MS became fairly diversified during his tenure. The stock price is three times higher today than when he retired, but revenue is only up 50% and income is down (hint: we're in a bubble).

Cheers

The mention of sony's semiconductor business and sensors combined with microsoft AI software and cloud is weird.

Sony have the best ToF cameras for their silicon area and image circle (making both lens and pulse lighting inexpensive and low power). Maybe it's for an inside-out tracking collaboration or something. I have no idea how sensor tech have anything to do with cloud networking.

This is not chess. It's a coop game. You should congratulate them both unless you know something we don't.

Joint Development: It means both invest money, resources, expertise, and patents, for a project in which they both own the resulting technology. Like bluray, or display panels, or the cell, sony does joint development projects all the time in the CE industry with direct competitors (panasonic, sharp, samsung, even toshiba at some point).

There is a lot of tech mentionned being exchanged in the press release. It seems each company had something to contribute for a joint development to be profitable to both.

Fuck pvp let’s pve this bitch!!!!

So much fun to be had with this. PS5 is Xbox Anaconda. Xbox Cloud and PSLive are brandings of the same Azure powered service, with XB and PS games. Would make a lot of sense actually for the two to stave off the likes of Amazon and Google and Apple and their streaming services...

Sony can do the consoles. MS can do the cloud and infrastructure. MicroSony PlayBox confirmed!!

Maybe the clause (or reason) for Microsoft to exit the console hardware side of gaming if Xbox-Next gen sales aren't no better than Xbox-One. Microsoft concedes to Sony on hardware, and Sony concedes to Microsoft on streaming gaming services. Microsoft reaps all the benefits of XBL platform being on PlayStation 6, 7, 8 and so-on, while Sony reaps the benefits of not having Microsoft manufacturing console hardware. But all this is just hypothetical talk...

But seriously, this new partnership is something I look forward to. With all the nonsense bickering between politicians and the stupid forum battles between console warriors, it's good to see two very competitive companies acting like adults or even friends on improving gaming, not hurting it. Good times ahead...

How so ?

Microsoft quadrupled revenue and income during his reign. When he took over, Microsoft was predicted to have modest growth because the PC market had saturated; MS pushed into the server space, he personally backed XBox internally and Azure was conceived under him. MS fumbled smart phones, but so did almost everybody else, - overall MS became fairly diversified during his tenure. The stock price is three times higher today than when he retired, but revenue is only up 50% and income is down (hint: we're in a bubble).

Cheers
Yea, but Satya was running Azure during Balmer's reign IIRC. But I mean for me, I noticed culture differences mainly, a lot more teams are working together. Opening up the walled garden, the strategies are moving back to selling software now regardless of ecosystem. Things are free again! We're seeing integration of a lot more open source than before. General excitement and innovation; MS is willing to take bold risks to showcase new things and ideas even if they won't sell. we see that with surface, hololens, etc.
I think MS has never really managed to capture the consumer market excitement, but I was there at Build 2015, and I could feel this change that MS had the excitement and not Apple. People were excited at a MS conference, it was different. I can't explain it, but I just never felt that under Balmer. Xbox was the only thing exciting with MS, but with Satya it's one of many things now.

I'll give credit to Balmer, he did fine, but tis clear that direction that Satya is pushing MS now, would have been different under Balmer.

Windows is no longer centre stage, that's largely been pushed out of the way. Overall I see a lot more tighter integration with the way MS works within their own divisions. How MS operates with their competitors is also different. Where they were very much seek and destroy, they are now a bit different in their approaches. And that's something worth noting.

it's good to see two very competitive companies acting like adults or even friends on improving gaming, not hurting it. Good times ahead...
Understand what you mean but it's strictly a business driven choice especially for Sony compared to Xbox as a division of MS.
They've got xcloud, stadia, others possibly in next couple years to compete against.
They need somewhere to host their hardware.
It helps MS as a business / azure but not really Xbox to same level.

AI, imagining are things that azure would be selling as part of their ML, obviously has game usage.

It's good for Microsoft but not necessarily the Xbox division though. Xbox loses the massive competitive advantage of Azure when it comes to streaming.

Back