Microsoft and Sony Cloud Entertainment and Technology Collaboration [2019-05]

it's great for both.
honestly if they moved PSN Now to Azure that would make a lot of sense if it was ready (might be a couple more years). I mean, XCloud should be basically using the same hardware.
And that's where the devil is in the detail regarding support.
PS5 navi is expected to have customizations, just running those binaries won't be possible, will need some form of emulation, and that's at a performant level.
Will really be intersting where this goes from a tech pov.

In fact to even out this prior to consoles release and reveal. As it would almost seem like they would need to start to discuss what is and isn't possible on xcloud.

Maybe it's more so hosting ps5 hardware in azure data centers than running in xcloud

Last edited:

That's fantastic news, massive boon for Microsoft from an Azure perspective. It's the only way Sony could compete infrastructure wise. I wonder if Amazon ever entered the thought pattern or if they just didn't have a viable product.

I wonder if we can read into this. I mean we knew they were going to share similar hardware for there next machines both being AMD but now this means there can't be any very unique special sauce?

Last edited:
Makes perfect sense and I think Microsoft was the only viable option.
In fact this probably makes Google's Stadia less viable in that there's going to be much more demand or reason to expand xcloud or whatever they going to call gaming capable Azure blades to more regions.

Microsoft just got the biggest gaming customer to use Azure. I suppose Google could try and get Nintendo but like I said with PlayStation and Xbox being in Azure I think it's only a matter of time before Nintendo joins them.

Now I want Nintendo to join Google :) so the platform wars can commence.

Last edited:
MS-Exec-NadellaSony-CEO-Kenichiro-Yoshida-013-low-res-1024x683.jpg

Kenichiro Yoshida, President and CEO, Sony Corporation (left), and Satya Nadella, CEO, Microsoft

So much fun to be had with this. PS5 is Xbox Anaconda. Xbox Cloud and PSLive are brandings of the same Azure powered service, with XB and PS games. Would make a lot of sense actually for the two to stave off the likes of Amazon and Google and Apple and their streaming services...

Sony can do the consoles. MS can do the cloud and infrastructure. MicroSony PlayBox confirmed!!

I'm glad Steve Ballmer was launched into space. Satya Nadella has massively changed the company and its directives for the better. Not the Microsoft of old anymore.

I'm glad Steve Ballmer was launched into space. Satya Nadella has massively changed the company and its directives for the better. Not the Microsoft of old anymore.
Everyone before Satya was more or less the same as Balmer.
Closed garden. Force everyone to use windows etc.

They've made huge strides to break away from that old model at record breaking pace (4 years for a company the size of MS).
4 years my company can't do shit.

Bravo MS for playing chess (biz strategy well). Them powering PSN and other online services for Playstation is a win for both companies. MS will also know strategic direction of PSN and can be used to better XBL as well.

I wonder if we can read into this. I mean we knew they were going to share similar hardware for there next machines both being AMD but now this means there can't be any very unique special sauce?

You've seen the new Toyota Supra right....?
:runaway::runaway::runaway::runaway:

Back