Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Digital Foundry: AMD board leak hints at next-gen 'Navi' graphics tech
Our first look at the next Radeon mainstream contender?
preliminary leaks are the best. A chip glued in blue... Hope that the new Navi GPUs don't have a single fan anymore, imho it's a bad engineering decision. When Vega GPUs with a single fan get hot they sound like a reactor, and also the fan is prone to become loose over time, spinning in a weird manner -which leads to short term failure- like a car wheel with loose screws.

The Xbox One X has single fan for cooling the GPU and its silent. There's more to cooling than number of fans.

preliminary leaks are the best. A chip glued in blue... Hope that the new Navi GPUs don't have a single fan anymore, imho it's a bad engineering decision. When Vega GPUs with a single fan get hot they sound like a reactor, and also the fan is prone to become loose over time, spinning in a weird manner -which leads to short term failure- like a car wheel with loose screws.
Radeon VII which is Vega 20 on 7nm has 3 fans and sounds like a jet engine as soon as it heats up unfortunately (@default voltage.. Under-voting & tweaking fan curve is a god send thought).

The larger the fans (Ala Xbox One) the better.

Radeon VII which is Vega 20 on 7nm has 3 fans and sounds like a jet engine as soon as it heats up unfortunately (@default voltage.. Under-voting & tweaking fan curve is a god send thought).

The larger the fans (Ala Xbox One) the better.
define jet engine, because a brother of mine has this Vega 64 model and it is definitely a reactor. That's an objective fact! A single, small fan. Crazy.... When this sounds you better get out of the room, it's not healthy. Just imagine mining rigs with 6 of these.....

The original Vega 56 is the same, just in black and red.

20561655_10154827796117066_428284575_n-png.90605

define jet engine, because a brother of mine has this Vega 64 model and it is definitely a reactor. That's an objective fact! A single, small fan. Crazy.... When this sounds you better get out of the room, it's not healthy. Just imagine mining rigs with 6 of these.....

The original Vega 56 is the same, just in black and red.

20561655_10154827796117066_428284575_n-png.90605
I can attest that the Radeon VII sounds like a loud ass jet engine. Which makes gaming with it impossible unless the player has headphones. (but as I said under-voting mitigates this)

I can attest that the Radeon VII sounds like a loud ass jet engine. Which makes gaming with it impossible unless the player has headphones. (but as I said under-voting mitigates this)
what is your explanation for that? I mean, it has 3 fans! 3!! Any GPU I've seen having 3 fans, is pretty silent and efficient.

Read Full Article here: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-final-fantasy-12-switch-xbox-analysis

Final Fantasy 12's remaster delivers 60fps on Xbox One X - but is there a catch?
Plus: Switch's portable and docked modes analysed.

Released towards the tail-end of PS2's lifespan, Final Fantasy 12 is a masterpiece in JRPG design that holds up beautifully in its modern day remasters for current-gen hardware. We've seen PC, PS4 and Pro releases of FF12: The Zodiac Age - each delivering higher resolutions and improved effects. But now there are two new further updated releases of the Square classic with even more to offer. FF12 is now available on Switch while enticingly, the Xbox One X version offers the first chance to play this iconic game at 60 frames per second on a console. Portable FF12 or full frame-rate - which offers the best way to play? And how do the existing PS4 versions compare?

Of course, this isn't the first Final Fantasy remaster to arrive on Switch and Xbox in the wake of a well established PS4 remaster. Virtuos Studios' Final Fantasy 10 remaster arrived a couple of weeks back - and it's well worth a look. It's still pegged to 30fps on all platforms, but it's rendering at 1080p on Xbox One and the docked Switch (dropping to native 720p in portable mode) while Xbox One X runs at full 4K. Texture quality, texture filtering and ambient occlusion vary across systems, but it's a solid, consistent effort overall. However, last week's Final Fantasy 12 releases switch things up considerably, sometimes surprisingly so.

Ultimately, both the Final Fantasy 10 and FF12 remasters are well worth adding to your collection regardless of whether you're gaming on PlayStation or Xbox - but it's especially satisfying to enjoy both of these releases on Switch, where the cutbacks are minimal but the option to decouple the console from the TV and play wherever you want adds a new dimension to the package. Years on from their original release, these titles remain excellent JRPGs and the good news is that the remastering work holds up exceptionally well whichever format you choose to game on.

[4K] Splinter Cell Conviction on Xbox One X: Another Dramatic X-Enhanced Upgrade?

Sam Fisher in 4K? Well... almost. Join John and Rich for a look at the X-enhanced version of Splinter Cell Conviction. What made it so fascinating on Xbox 360 and how does it scale up on Xbox One X? And how does the vanilla Xbox One S factor into the equation?

Read Full article here: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...inja-gaiden-2-retro-extra-xbox-one-x-analysis

Ninja Gaiden 2: a fighting classic gets a new lease of life on Xbox One X
Plus: DF Retro revisits one of gaming's most fascinating multi-platform releases.

Team Ninja's 2004 Xbox hit, Ninja Gaiden, wasn't just a franchise reboot for the 3D era - it helped to define the template for the melee combat games to come across two further console generations. You can play that seminal release locked to 60fps at extreme resolution via Xbox One X enhanced backwards compatibility - and now its sequel has received the same treatment to spectacular effect. Ninja Gaiden 2 launched as a platform exclusive designed to highlight the strengths of the Xbox 360 architecture but it was compromised by several technical problems - aspects that are entirely cleaned up ten years later on Xbox One X. Quite simply, it's the best way to play the game - and when it comes to Ninja Gaiden 2, users certainly have plenty of choice.

Ninja Gaiden 2 is actually one of the most fascinating cross-platform development projects Digital Foundry has looked at across the last decade. A year after its Xbox 360 debut, a PlayStation 3 version emerged, dubbed Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2. It featured a vast array of visual changes alongside a fundamental shift in gameplay, all designed to better suit the capabilities of Sony's hardware. This was followed by a PlayStation Vita port of the PS3 game, which doesn't really work as a Ninja Gaiden game, but it is fascinating to take a look at, nonetheless.

But why is Ninja Gaiden 2 so fascinating and why is the X-enhanced back-compat support such a big deal? It's all about the gameplay. To my mind, the original Ninja Gaiden redefined 3D action games: the gameplay was fast, fluid and challenging but it was the brilliant level design and hub system that really pushed it to the top. In many ways, it almost feels like a much faster progenitor to the space that Dark Souls would come to inhabit years later, not just because of its challenging melee combat, but also because of its overall flow and level design. It still works brilliantly today - and it's awesome on Xbox One X.

I can say that I've had a lot of fun revisiting the game this week and its flaws are less bothersome today than they were back in 2008. In fact, I think I prefer the level design here to something like Devil May Cry 5: while Capcom's latest was an excellent game in terms of combat, it was lacking when it came to environments to explore. It's just a shame that the Ninja Gaiden series is unlikely to receive any further instalments. Ninja Gaiden 3 was a step down and Razor's Edge couldn't fully solve that. It's unlikely we'll see Ninja Gaiden return anytime soon and even if we do, will it even be the same? That said, it's always been an uneven series - even going back to the arcade original and NES titles. Some conversions were great, others less so, but the series was always memorable - and with both major series entries now available in X-enhanced editions, it's well worth revisiting. And who knows? The Ninja Gaiden series has prestige, it has heritage and a reputation for pushing hardware - perhaps we'll see another series reboot at some point in the future.

Ooof, so far this is the most compelling reason for me to get an XBO-X. I absolutely loved the original Ninja Gaiden Black on XBX. Then I was conflicted on Ninja Gaiden 2, a brilliant game that was hampered by its performance. But even that flawed version on X360 was massively superior to the PS3 version in most ways. Still when I hit that infamous staircase, I couldn't go on.

If I had more free time, I think I'd pick up an XBO-X now just to be able to play the enhanced version of NG2.

Regards,
SB

Backwards compatibility is pretty much the reason I bought a 1X. Most modern games I play on PC, but there are a bunch of console exclusives (as in, not on PC) that are backwards compatible, and playing them on 1X is like playing them on a modern PC. You get better performance, and in many cases, better visuals.

Read Entire Article: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...ge-2-is-best-played-on-xbox-one-x-and-ps4-pro

Rage 2 tech analysis: is 1080p60 the best use for Xbox One X and PS4 Pro?
Performance vs image quality.

Rage 2 arrives on consoles slathered in hot pink highlights, mutant entrails and the fingerprints of a new development team. Avalanche Studios picks up the series' reigns, joining id Software to create something rather unique - a fast-paced first-person shooter combined with a large open world. From my perspective, it's a special experience and the dual-studio collaboration pays off handsomely - but the technical decisions behind the game are intriguing, not to mention controversial.

There's no escaping it: the difference in the gameplay experience between base and enhanced consoles is vast. The vanilla machines run the game at 30 frames per second, but the choices made for the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X versions have split user opinion, and it all comes down to this: what's best - a nigh-on flawless 60 frames per second, or higher resolution imagery at half that frame-rate?

The move to a new developer represents a major shift for the franchise, with Rage 2 leaving id Tech behind in favour of Avalanche's own Apex engine. The studio was selected a development partner based on the strength of its technology. The engine supports large scale open worlds with complex physics simulation and dynamic lights - perfect for Rage. After all, the original Rage was designed to offer a Mad Max-like experience with a wide-open wasteland to explore but id Tech 5 wasn't well suited to a large-scale project, so the environments were constrained, and every mission was divided by loading screens killing the pace.

The Apex engine, however, has already delivered a decent Mad Max game and it allows Avalanche to deliver on the original vision with a massive open world to explore, filled with towns, settlements and gorgeous vistas. It supports a fully real-time time of day system with variable cloud cover plus real shadows and lighting.

Wonder if they'll offer a 4K30 option later?

I'm still on a 1080p TV, not that I have a midgen console. I do have a PC connected, and I'd almost switch between that and my other computer (1440p) depending on if I can comfortably hit 1440p60 or 1080p60 because I prefer the native res & 60fps (Why can't I have both :V - my main desktop could use a GPU upgrade, but not yet).

Wonder if they'll offer a 4K30 option later?

Like later this year or like later Next-Gen or like later Raymastered Next-Gen resale?

I sort of wish there was an option for internally rendered 1440p60 to display on the 1080p sets, assuming there was performance left on the table beyond 1080p60 settings.

Read Full article here: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...inja-gaiden-2-retro-extra-xbox-one-x-analysis

Ninja Gaiden 2: a fighting classic gets a new lease of life on Xbox One X
Plus: DF Retro revisits one of gaming's most fascinating multi-platform releases.

Team Ninja's 2004 Xbox hit, Ninja Gaiden, wasn't just a franchise reboot for the 3D era - it helped to define the template for the melee combat games to come across two further console generations. You can play that seminal release locked to 60fps at extreme resolution via Xbox One X enhanced backwards compatibility - and now its sequel has received the same treatment to spectacular effect. Ninja Gaiden 2 launched as a platform exclusive designed to highlight the strengths of the Xbox 360 architecture but it was compromised by several technical problems - aspects that are entirely cleaned up ten years later on Xbox One X. Quite simply, it's the best way to play the game - and when it comes to Ninja Gaiden 2, users certainly have plenty of choice.

Ninja Gaiden 2 is actually one of the most fascinating cross-platform development projects Digital Foundry has looked at across the last decade. A year after its Xbox 360 debut, a PlayStation 3 version emerged, dubbed Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2. It featured a vast array of visual changes alongside a fundamental shift in gameplay, all designed to better suit the capabilities of Sony's hardware. This was followed by a PlayStation Vita port of the PS3 game, which doesn't really work as a Ninja Gaiden game, but it is fascinating to take a look at, nonetheless.

But why is Ninja Gaiden 2 so fascinating and why is the X-enhanced back-compat support such a big deal? It's all about the gameplay. To my mind, the original Ninja Gaiden redefined 3D action games: the gameplay was fast, fluid and challenging but it was the brilliant level design and hub system that really pushed it to the top. In many ways, it almost feels like a much faster progenitor to the space that Dark Souls would come to inhabit years later, not just because of its challenging melee combat, but also because of its overall flow and level design. It still works brilliantly today - and it's awesome on Xbox One X.

I can say that I've had a lot of fun revisiting the game this week and its flaws are less bothersome today than they were back in 2008. In fact, I think I prefer the level design here to something like Devil May Cry 5: while Capcom's latest was an excellent game in terms of combat, it was lacking when it came to environments to explore. It's just a shame that the Ninja Gaiden series is unlikely to receive any further instalments. Ninja Gaiden 3 was a step down and Razor's Edge couldn't fully solve that. It's unlikely we'll see Ninja Gaiden return anytime soon and even if we do, will it even be the same? That said, it's always been an uneven series - even going back to the arcade original and NES titles. Some conversions were great, others less so, but the series was always memorable - and with both major series entries now available in X-enhanced editions, it's well worth revisiting. And who knows? The Ninja Gaiden series has prestige, it has heritage and a reputation for pushing hardware - perhaps we'll see another series reboot at some point in the future.
certainly one of the best games ever, along with Ninja Gaiden Black

I approve of "Raymastered"

Can't wait for the inevitable 20th anniversary Halo Combat Rayvolved :rolleyes: :mrgreen:
:D

Wish they someday raymaster one of the best games I've played in the last few years: Alien Isolation. That game with raytracing has to be even more gorgeous.

Aside from that, it's the only game I've ever decided to play using a good pair of headphones from start to finish. Dolby Atmos also helps. It gives me the creeps, but the experience is unique.

At 60 fps and with Alias Isolation -a tweak to improve the only graphics flaw of the game (default AA solutions of the game, FXAA, SMAA T1x and SMAA T2x, don't make the game justice, although decent looking).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back