The Epic Games store for PC and Mac [2018-12]

Yes, for saves. The Epic Store doesn't have hardly any features, you can basically buy games and install them. I think it has a friends list. They added the ability to search for games recently. Cloud saves is apparently coming May/June.

Epic.... fail?

All of that costs money. And in the case of unlimited free keys to game developers in order to put their games on other storefronts or for free giveaways to promote their games, no revenue for Valve.
I wonder if Valve offered the choice of unlimited 3rd party store keys +30% for Steam sales or ~12% with no free keys, what would developers choose?

Sponsored by the Epic Game Store, so expect twitch chat to be a blackhole of shitposting.

I found this amusing. Re-logic (Terraria is their most famous game) has stated in the past that they will never be a part of the Epic Store. But they are scheduled to appear on the PC Gaming show...which is sponsored by the Epic Game store.

Evidently this caused some confusion with people questioning their past stand.

Ah, that just made my day. Give Epic the middle finger for trying to remove choice from gamers.

Regards,
SB

That's not how sponsorship & digistore contracts work though, is it? I'd have thought that the PC Gaming show would be organized by folks, who then solicit sponsors to help foot the bill while the attendees are a separate matter unless the sponsor wants to make certain conditions.

tl;du - sponsors != organizers

... and maybe it'd be bad PR for Epic to make such a (childish) draconian exclusory condition for sponsorship anyway, picking on the small company.

That's not how sponsorship & digistore contracts work though, is it? I'd have thought that the PC Gaming show would be organized by folks, who then solicit sponsors to help foot the bill while the attendees are a separate matter unless the sponsor wants to make certain conditions.

tl;du - sponsors != organizers

... and maybe it'd be bad PR for Epic to make such a (childish) draconian exclusory condition for sponsorship anyway, picking on the small company.

Oh, no the confusion I believe was from the fact that Re-logic accepted the invitation (or applied?) to be on the PC Gaming show with the Epic Store being the major sponsor. They basically just cleared up that they'll never sell their soul to be an Epic Store Exclusive. That's a key difference from just appearing on a show that the Epic Store is sponsoring or potentially having a game on the Epic Store.

They also clarified later in that chain, that they don't judge smaller developers who are less fortunate than they are financially who end up taking Epic's money.

Terraria made them enough money that they don't have take part in anti-consumer behavior.

Regards,
SB

Technically she said they "will ever be an Epic Store exclusive"
Confusion continues.

So Epic is having their first sale and of course there's drama surrounding games being removed from the store due to the publishers pulling out of the sale. What's just utterly stupid is that the games not participating have to be removed from the store temporarily until the sale is over... what a shit show.

I dunno about that however I bought the saves the world edition of fortnite way before the battle royal happened and so far my account was hacked twice before I deleted it and said good by to epic

So, even ardent defenders of the Epic Store when it first started buying exclusivity are starting to turn against it.

CohhCarnage (Twitch Streamer) defended the Epic store a lot when Metro: Exodus came out. Over time that support has eroded to the point where it actually makes him stop wanting to play games he's been looking forward to playing when they go exclusive to the Epic Store.

Ever since the reveal of MechWarrior 5, he's been really looking forward to playing it as the loves Mech games. However, now that it's exclusive to the Epic store, he has no plans on playing the game. He's one of the few streamers that streamed the most recent BattleTech game even though he lost subscribers (and thus money) while streaming it. So for him to lose all interest in MechWarrior 5 is pretty big.

Now, the only time he'll play a game on the Epic store is if it's an exclusive and one that he can't afford to not play, like Borderlands 3, since that is likely to bring in a lot of viewers and hence revenue. As a streamer he doesn't really have a choice in playing it or not.

Of course, with all those new viewers going to his channel when Borderlands 3 comes out, they're going to hear a lot about how bad he thinks the Epic store buying exclusives are.

Not exactly the kind of advertising Epic wants from buying exclusivity, I imagine.

Regards,
SB

He probably just got tired of being badgered by his fickle audience over not treating Epic like war criminals.

Hmmm? At least the Twitch community (viewers) is pretty divided over the issue. But more and more are moving towards not using the Epic store.

And how would that make him not want to play a game he's been looking forward to rather than just not talking about the Epic store anymore (which is what he did for a while before the Epic Store started to really annoy him). The Store annoys him, not his subs.

LOTS of people don't always agree with his choice of games. Hell, as I mentioned he lost a lot of subs. when he decided to play BattleTech. A lot of users weren't happy that he spent so much time on that game and let him know it. He didn't care, he just said they were free to go watch some other streamer. Makes perfect sense, why watch something you don't enjoy when someone else is probably streaming something you would enjoy?

He has enough patrons that drop hundreds of USD a month each on him in his channel that he really doesn't care about people that don't like what he does. Hence he tells people that they don't need to sub. It's one of the reasons I enjoy his channel so much. He's a nice guy that does his thing. You can watch or not watch. But one thing you can't do is buy his opinion.

Regards,
SB

Hmmm? At least the Twitch community (viewers) is pretty divided over the issue. But more and more are moving towards not using the Epic store.

And how would that make him not want to play a game he's been looking forward to rather than just not talking about the Epic store anymore (which is what he did for a while before the Epic Store started to really annoy him). The Store annoys him, not his subs.

LOTS of people don't always agree with his choice of games. Hell, as I mentioned he lost a lot of subs. when he decided to play BattleTech. A lot of users weren't happy that he spent so much time on that game and let him know it. He didn't care, he just said they were free to go watch some other streamer. Makes perfect sense, why watch something you don't enjoy when someone else is probably streaming something you would enjoy?

He has enough patrons that drop hundreds of USD a month each on him in his channel that he really doesn't care about people that don't like what he does. Hence he tells people that they don't need to sub. It's one of the reasons I enjoy his channel so much. He's a nice guy that does his thing. You can watch or not watch. But one thing you can't do is buy his opinion.

Regards,
SB
What possible evidence do you have of "more and more" people moving away from using the EGS?

For real people would have to first move to it to move away from it. I don't think there is a single human being on this planet who moved to the EGS as their preferred store. People only buy games there when they can't buy them anywhere else.

Anyway they'll never get my business unless they start loading my store page recommendations with big tit loli hentai like Steam.

What possible evidence do you have of "more and more" people moving away from using the EGS?

Obviously nothing linkable. But plenty of people (viewers and streamers on Twitch) who used to be positive towards the store or at least ambivalent, now commenting how they aren't going to use the store anymore if they can help it. A few of them even going so far as to now say that will never use the store again. OTOH, not a single person that didn't like the Epic Store before has changed their mind that I've seen.

The conversation has also changed over time. While hatred for Epic buying exclusives is still a thing and growing. There's a fast growing sentiment that the Epic store is just a really crappy storefront that represents a lazy minimal effort enterprise with Epic using their money from Fortnite to try to make it relevant instead of actually making it a good storefront. Said people also wondering what happens to the storefront if money from Fortnite starts to dry up.

Regards,
SB

Ooof, I underestimated how much CohhCarnage now dislikes the Epic Store. Now he's actually recommending people to buy games anywhere but the Epic Store if at all possible.

And that is despite him having a Creator tag on the Epic Store thus being able to make some money if people use his Creator tag when buying a game on the Epic Store.

Such a massive change in his point of view from when Metro: Exodus was announced as an Epic Store timed exclusive.

Regards,
SB

Back