God of War [PS4, PC]

Slightly OT but this looks too amazing and I need the whole set in my room now!
60155009_2298097723570190_4757263647162499072_o.jpg

60341825_2297972503582712_1344700384307838976_o.jpg

Just checked out a bunch of their other stuff. €1000 for a quarter scale figurine is really hefty. That's almost 3 times as much as a similarly sized figurine from a company like Sideshow.:oops:

Yeah, they're among the highest end of the premium statues, once you're addicted to their stuffs just be prepared to sell your house. I'm mostly just sticking to the Sideshow and Ironstudio statues, P1 is too rich for my blood.

I see it as with the new Doom. Kratos always was rage for me... I don't want to take care of a boy during a rampage through Greece, Valhalla or something else. Mindless fun.

But maybe in 12 years time we get a to the bones reboot of God of War and everybody will cheer and welcome the "freshness" of pure gameplay.

OK, started playing this.

I understand building this story or narrative but it's already getting tedious the whole thing with Kratos teaching eager beaver son and I'm still early in the game.

Definitely the story isn't as engaging as UC4, which I had just finished playing.

Also, I'm not interested in learning skills to advance through the game. What I liked about the original GoW was that you could just button-mash and power your way through the game, see the gorgeous visuals.

The control mechanics seem so stiff compared to what I remember of the previous games. For one thing, I haven't seen how to quickly turn around when there are attackers from behind Kratos. I have to rotate the camera with the R stick to make him face other enemies behind him? Really?

I must be missing something, it can't be that lame.

Also, there's no good melee attack when you're surrounded by several enemies, which all take more hits to kill off than it takes to kill Kratos? Nothing like him spinning the axe around and throwing off enemies surrounding him. I picked up some R1/L1 attack but that's limited

I chose the middle setting but maybe I should choose the easiest setting.

The levels and the way he navigates them, including climbing cliffs but not being able to jump like Nathan does makes GoW look poor in comparison. I understand platforming is not a thing in GoW. Just unfortunate that I'd just played UC4, with it's more stunning environments and the way you move around in them, right before I started on this. The control is so much more responsive in UC4 too. Kratos moves like molasses sometimes, especially not being able to turn around fast.

How did GoW getting a higher average Metacritic score than UC4?

OK, started playing this.

I understand building this story or narrative but it's already getting tedious the whole thing with Kratos teaching eager beaver son and I'm still early in the game.

Definitely the story isn't as engaging as UC4, which I had just finished playing.

Also, I'm not interested in learning skills to advance through the game. What I liked about the original GoW was that you could just button-mash and power your way through the game, see the gorgeous visuals.

The control mechanics seem so stiff compared to what I remember of the previous games. For one thing, I haven't seen how to quickly turn around when there are attackers from behind Kratos. I have to rotate the camera with the R stick to make him face other enemies behind him? Really?

I must be missing something, it can't be that lame.

Also, there's no good melee attack when you're surrounded by several enemies, which all take more hits to kill off than it takes to kill Kratos? Nothing like him spinning the axe around and throwing off enemies surrounding him. I picked up some R1/L1 attack but that's limited

I chose the middle setting but maybe I should choose the easiest setting.

The levels and the way he navigates them, including climbing cliffs but not being able to jump like Nathan does makes GoW look poor in comparison. I understand platforming is not a thing in GoW. Just unfortunate that I'd just played UC4, with it's more stunning environments and the way you move around in them, right before I started on this. The control is so much more responsive in UC4 too. Kratos moves like molasses sometimes, especially not being able to turn around fast.

How did GoW getting a higher average Metacritic score than UC4?
Also, there's no good melee attack when you're surrounded by several enemies, which all take more hits to kill off than it takes to kill Kratos?
Don't worry about that, soon you will have plenty of new abilities (you'll need to learn them). But yes, it's much less button mashing that the previous games. Also about that don't you remember one of the first cutscenes when he hides something from his son?

For one thing, I haven't seen how to quickly turn around when there are attackers from behind Kratos.
From memory you shoud be able to quickly turn around (I think the pad down button).

What you said about the controls tells me that your are playing at 30fps. Do you have a Pro ? If yes you should play using the high framerate mode. It completely changes the responsiveness (I think there is 3 times less latency in that mode).

No Pro, just the OG PS4.

I really don't want to go through the whole upgrade weapons/skills process either.

Tomb Raider had that and it was tedious.

In UC4, you see all these weapons you pick up but I mostly went for that sniper rifle whenever I could because it was one shot to kill most enemies and maybe 3 shots to kill the armored ones.

@wco81 I think you should forget both UC4 and old GoW games because this one plays very differently. The combat in this one is probably the most interesting aspect of the game IMO. It's an interesting mix of combat. I'd say it's very well done but you need to play along with it and eventually you'll learn to like it. ;-)

Back