The Annual E3 Pre Hype, 2019 Edition

BRiT

(>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
Legend
Supporter
About a month before E3 2019, so let's get this thing started, well as much as can be expected when you have Nintendo still doing their Direct Shows and Sony opting to go the same way. EA is also doing their own thing before the expo and will release a few videos during the conference, but no announced times yet.

Anyone have anything specific they're looking forward to?

Could be more game IP series on the way? Wonder how well Castlevania is doing for them.

edit:

Oh. "developing netflix originals into video games".

Streaming games. A new entrant. Except they already have all lot of their hardware at the edge.

:runaway:

Netflix has over 160 million customers worldwide (62 million in the US alone). If Netflix's includes streaming gaming services for a small additional fee ($4.99) or even possibly free with their current subscription base, they could easily disrupt Google, MS, and Sony's own streaming service plans. IF, the proper third-party game support is there and their cloud-hardware is comparable or better than Stadia's.

Edit: Heck, if the PS5/XB-Next have the Netflix app installed (or user download/install), and the app allows for Netflix's game streaming... talk about the ultimate Trojan Horse tactic. :yep2:

Last edited:
Netflix has over 160 million customers worldwide (62 million in the US alone). If Netflix's includes streaming gaming services for a small additional fee ($4.99) or even possibly free with their current subscription base, they could easily disrupt Google, MS, and Sony's own streaming service plans. IF, the proper third-party game support is there and their cloud-hardware is comparable or better than Stadia's.

Edit: Heck, if the PS5/XB-Next have the Netflix app installed (or user download/install), and the app allows for Netflix's game streaming... talk about the ultimate Trojan Horse tactic. :yep2:
eh ;) they have edge hardware, but the gaming hardware isn't there. It was a jest at first but thinking about it more thoroughly I don't think it's possible for them to pull off game streaming; there are a lot of challenges to solve there. But they can make mini games using their netflix API that would be more like the interactive movie/shows. So... more like playing 'Late Shift' Which seems appropriate. I like games like that.

eh ;) they have edge hardware, but the gaming hardware isn't there. It was a jest at first but thinking about it more thoroughly I don't think it's possible for them to pull off game streaming; there are a lot of challenges to solve there. But they can make mini games using their netflix API that would be more like the interactive movie/shows. So... more like playing 'Late Shift' Which seems appropriate. I like games like that.

Could be a surprise, or not. I like disruption in the industry... makes things more interesting, even if it fails.

OTOH - I could see them offering a Game Pass/EA Access style of game rental where the game is downloaded to a device. This would be very somewhat analogous to how they originally started with their movie rental service. Obviously this would limit them to the PC. Consoles would be a tougher sell for them as you'd have to get approval from either Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo.

That would just require them to have a robust DRM framework and available bandwidth for game downloads. Technically easier than streaming games.

But as AIBran edited in earlier, the most likely is that they'll just stick to producing/developing games related to their Netflix original series.

Regards,
SB

They are already in the game market with interactive experiences like Black Mirror and Bear Grylls' thing. Plus the Telltale Games that were ported over. I expect more of that.

Partnership with EA or another big publisher would be pretty great way to differentiate service from amazon prime. Publisher's should be interested in ability to go around the gaming platforms and more directly to consumer.

I'm hoping to see some true next gen games, even tech demos would be cool. With the absence of Sony I'm eager to see more of Gears 5, Cyberpunk, FFVII-R, AC Ragnarok and Ninja Theory's new game. And of course would love to see new updates of Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima and Tlou2 if only trailers are released.
More than anything I wanna see next gen consoles specs tho:devilish:

Notable absent from show room floor companies: Activision, EA, Sony

Booth layout of the E3 South Hall floor.

upload_2019-5-17_19-7-23.png

West Hall:

upload_2019-5-17_19-8-48.png

Back