AMD: Navi Speculation, Rumours and Discussion [2019-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we know if Navi was always planned for TSMC 7N or if it was planned for GloFo 7nm - maybe due to the WSA agreement - before GloFo ditched the 7nm node?

From what I remember GloFos 7nm node was said to be slightly ahead in comparison to TSMCs 7nm node in density and when it came to expectations regarding high clocks.

So, assuming the info in the video is correct, if Navi was planned for GloFo 7nm and developed with the design tools/specs provided by GloFo would this be something that could affect Navi in regards to clocks and thermals?
AMD didn't plan anything 7LP besides that one APU.
Also Navi is a family of chips.
Which one?

AMD didn't plan anything 7LP besides that one APU.
Also Navi is a family of chips.
Which one?

That's surprising considering their WSA agreement (even though it was changed for the better even before GloFo quit 7nm). Which APU did they plan for GloFos 7nm?

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I meant their discrete consumer parts - Navi 10 and Navi 12 (or whatever the codename for the smaller one was).

Dali.

These always were TSMC.

Thanks, didn't remember that one and had to look it up. Probably because of the monster truck on the slides.

Hmm, too bad, that kills my idea directly then.

These always were TSMC.
Is it double confirmed? Lisa Su announced (I think it was at the beginning of 2018) that AMD will manufacture 7nm GPUs at (both) TSMC and GlobalFoundries. Which GPU was intended for GF? It couldn't be Vega 20, because transition from GF to TSMC would result in delay, but Vega 20 wasn't delayed. On the other hand Navi is considered to be delayed…

This frequency increase would fit the leaked console chip - AMD Gonzalo ES featuring a 1.8GHz Navi-based "Ariel" GPU.

Given the clock speeds and power draw of Radeon VII, a pinch of salt might come in handy.
That’s not to say that 2+GHz is impossible, but then something must have changed going to Navi to facilitate frequency scaling. I hope there will be actual info from AMD at Computex.

Well navi is likely to be a smaller chip, and designed with 7nm in mind from the start I guess. But, it's still GCN, so, I doubt 2ghz too, or they will crank up the power...

Vega7 goes up to 1750MHz with 64CU, a 40CU based on refined 7nm and some architectural tweak is not that far from turbo boost at 2GHz in my opinion.
What is interesting in this rumor is that they are keeping 64 shaders per CU, while was expected some change here.

Given the cost and realities immaturity of the 7nm process, I think it is more likely Navi will be a smaller chip at a higher clock then a larger chip with with a lower clock. 2GHz is only 33% more for the boost clock of the 590.

But still getting to 2070 level of performance will require some additional and drastic performance gains in the uarch.

Which rumor is claiming more power than Vega 64?
I think it comes from the ES PCB which had 8+8-pin (the fact that it's ES card which often have beefier power supply than retail variants can be disregarded to support the conclusion it's a power hog)

Which rumor is claiming more power than Vega 64?

None. But their is a rumour that RGT is fighting with power to run Navi at the goal clock. I was not serious, but, hey, if they're indeed fighting with power... and seeing the 2*8 pins dev/test pcb, why not...

The rumors are so all over the place that none should be considered valid.

Some are from guys with good records, and coming from multiples sources. But, anyway, Navi will show up soon, we'll see. But my bet is on another hot mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back