Sony Playstation Marketing: a quiet place in days gone?

People moving slower will save money. Margins (even assuming the margin is a profit and not a loss) on launch consoles are poor, the more people who buy early on the more manufacturer's lose.

Yes and no in that the early adopters are usually the big spenders in that they will mostly all get plus and buy two or more games.
I predict that The last of us 2, Death Stranding and Ghosts Of Tsushima will be part of the marketing push for PS5 in that they will run native 4k locked 60fps

Yes and no in that the early adopters are usually the big spenders in that they will mostly all get plus and buy two or more games.

I'm not seeing a reason why that would change. I was a Plus subscriber when I had PS3 and Vita, when I got PS4 I was benefiting across three platforms. If I move to the next PlayStation hardware I'll keep Plus as long as I continue to value it. As we've seen from Sony's financials, services and subscriptions are brining in ever greater revenue and it's in Sony's interested to not only keep that from dwindling but to make it more appeal so more people opt in.

The same is true of Microsoft's services. Nintendo still don't get this :nope:

Three PlayStation exclusive games (Spider Man, GoW, Days Gone) advertised in the adverts before End Game this evening.

So, a re-reveal of a game that was announced a long time ago ey.
Expectation
aeris-1434461494.gif

Reality
giphy.gif

And just like that Sony's E3 no show is redeemed! That looks absolutely wonderful, would love to see a full playthrough at E3.
lol i dunno about that. I think a lot of sony fans, and myself, would have liked to see TLOU2, Ghost, or Death Stranding before we declare no E3 redeemed lol

lol i dunno about that. I think a lot of sony fans, and myself, would have liked to see TLOU2, Ghost, or Death Stranding before we declare no E3 redeemed lol

Why though? That's what they showed last E3 and they got hammered in the press for showing the same games over and over.
Also those games are going to get there big individual pushes the sooner they get to release.

oh FF7?
lol totally forgot about that
edit; wow! it happened!

gonna launch together with PS5 or PS6?
maybe 1st episode launch with PS5, compatible with PS4. Last episode launch with PS6, compatible with PS5

anyway, eurogamer says state of play is like nintendo direct... but this is just a bunch of trailers!

what i love from nintendo direct is the cringe/silly/interesting presentation by the CEO.

Why though? That's what they showed last E3 and they got hammered in the press for showing the same games over and over.
Also those games are going to get there big individual pushes the sooner they get to release.
Damned if they do, damned if they don’t type situation. The only way to redeem no e3 is to have e3 caliber announcements outside of e3.

But yea it would need to be more than a trailer of a remake and their arriving 1P offerings. There’s a lot that goes into e3. It’s always been an ensemble of new things than just 1 or 2 announcements.

I guess now we know why sony isn't having an E3 conference. We'll see them on MS' stage.

Right right?

sorry... i'll show myself the door.

It’s HaaS. Hardware as a service. MS and Sony no longer in the business of selling you hardware. It’s all about the cosmetics now. You buy the hardware plus whatever Sony or Xbox skin you want which unlocks access to certain exclusive titles.

I think we have an answer to this thread finally; the restructuring of major divisions within Sony. Unfortunately there are job losses in this process.

according to people with knowledge of the situation, American PlayStation directors visited Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe (SIEE) in London on Tuesday to announce the restructuring of several divisions, including marketing and PR.'

Affected employees were then given notice and meetings were set for those required to re-interview for their jobs.

There were also a number of layoffs in the US-based creative services team, with one affected employee writing on Twitter: “I hate that this is going to be drowned by the PS5 announcement.
@ToTTenTranz you clairvoyance is exceptional this week. Consider a lottery ticket.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com...ens-up-for-redundancy-on-day-of-ps5-announce/

Also explains why they may have also been looking externally outside of Sony as a temporary fill while this happens. Referencing MrFox here: https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/2064662/

Last edited:
Interesting, "playstation creative services group" is what they call the internal marketing group for graphic design and motion graphics, etc.... Don't know exactly what they were in charge of, since when we hear about the big marketing stuff and big ads for the playstation brand, it's usually from external marketing firms. But there's a milion small things to do in marketing outside of the big ads.

The marketing groups are (were?) apparently separate between america and europe, so if they unify, there's redundancy.

I can see some good from the move, while at the same time I keep thinking "Riiiight, because you know, Americans know best how to market to Europeans."

I can see some good from the move, while at the same time I keep thinking "Riiiight, because you know, Americans know best how to market to Europeans."

Ask Apple, because I think the answer is yes. :yes: I assume because while marketing may be managed from the US, they outsource specific campaigns to localised marketing firms which is surely what already happens now.

Back